Thread: Raynaud's syndrome: How many of us have it?

Question Raynaud's syndrome: How many of us have it?

Hey guys and gals,

I was reading the thread about carpal tunnel syndrome and was surprised how many people suffered from it on this board. While I don't particularly suffer with carpal tunnel, I do suffer from Raynaud's syndrome. An autoimmune condition that most often causes a few fingers of the hand or hands to get icy cold and numb in the slightest cool weather. It is extremely painful when working in cold weather but fortunately I only have it on my picking hand...so far.

So if you do suffer, please weigh in so we can share any helpful tips and information.
    Blessings

Blog Entries

Default Re: Raynaud's syndrome: How many of us have it?

I have the secondary version, related to my thyroid and neuro issues. Mine is not as serious a some people have. Tough to play in cold weather, fingers can hurt or even become numb. I also have arthritis, so we start to draw the line at playing outside below 60F.

A few years ago we got hit by a surprise snowstorm while playing outside... It was beautiful but my playing became pretty rough. We had portable heaters and that helped some. Fortunately the set ended before we were out in it too long, and the next set was inside.

The show must go on is a nice thing to say, but if you can't play, you can't play. Fortunately most audiences also prefer to not be freezing.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I have a mild form of Raynaud's syndrome. I did not know that it was related to the immune system. I get the pain in my fingers only occasionally but I try to wear gloves when it is very cold outside. I never really noticed it until I lost about 40 pounds about ten years ago. My PT said that my torso fat was an insulator.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have Raynaud's, have had it ever since I was a small child (I remember noticing that my fingernails were blue in 3rd grade.) My fingernails are blue all year round, summer, winter, does not matter. My fingers are also cold all the time, I am used to it by now, (I am 63 years old.) I play whether or not I am cold, but my fingers have to be REALLY cold to go completely numb. My fingers are cold right now, but still have some feeling. My right 4th and 5th fingers are the worst problem, I broke those fingers in 8th grade so I presume there is additional damage to those fingers. You have to learn how to manage your own symptoms, I guess I never really thought much about it or worried about it until this question! It's been part of my life so long it's just normal to me (By the way, it affects my toes in the same way - cold all the time, and sometimes numb.)

Wow! Not bad I guess. And too bad for us. Apparently we are the few that suffer from this condition, but I guess on the other hand it is quite good for the mandolin community. I really expected to hear of more cases than this, but it is what it is.

Blessings in this new year and thanks for responding.

I think it is more common than we suppose. Some folks have it so mildly that they might not think about it or recognize it. Mine is relatively mild and only gets painful under pretty extreme cold. It is annoying when I have to walk the dog in sub-freezing weather but workable. It could be a lot worse, I know and can live with it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yeah Jim, mine is a little more threatening and I worry about amputation. I had a friend that had to have his tips amputated for Raynaud's and the damage more severe cases cause. But I also believe you're correct in your assessment on its prevalence. Thanks for your replies and blessings. I hope your case remains mild.

RustyMadd, I hope you don't have to have an amputation. I would probably be more concerned about mine except I have had it for so long (probably all my life, I just never noticed.) I am just so used to living with it now that it is second nature. Hopefully you can learn how to successfully manage yours.

Late in life I began experiencing such things during and after the descent from the mountains on my Mt. Bike in the winter.

Sort story-- I found some gloves that have heating elements built in and powered by rechargeable batteries that make it possible for me to carry on---not while playing the mandolin but prior to and after as necessary. The gloves have branding that says, "Warm Gear".

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

10. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

It has been really interesting reading these posts about Raynaud's Syndrome. I, too, have it and it definitely has gotten worse over the years. Mean I am sitting in the office right now with at least three fingers completely white from the tips to about halfway down. I have to wait until they warm up to pick (usually about 45 minutes). I'll have to try the "Warm Gear" gloves because regular gloves do not seem to help (especially once my fingers start turning cold.

I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Jim
    Jim Armstrong

1924 Gibson A-1 Snakehead
    2017 Silverangel F
    1979 Martin D-19

I have the opposite. I have hot flashes.

I play with fingerless mittens when it is cold. These allow you to play like normal but keep your wrists and hands warm. I don't know if they'd work with Reynauld's syndrome or not, but they're different from fingerless gloves so I thought I would mention it. Fingerless gloves have separate fingers and fingerless mittens only have a separate thumb.

I suddenly got it about 7 years ago at the age of 57. It doesn't affect my mandolin or guitar playing since I don't play outdoors in cool or cold weather. The ends of fingers getting white and numb only happened when driving around in cold Wisconsin winters before heat warmed interior and when trying to use gloves instead of mittens. I don't have to do any work outdoors luckily.

My average leather winter gloves didn't work anymore so tried many high-tech expensive gloves at sporting goods stores but returned them because they didn't work good enough for me. I found that with the right fit in ski mittens, and not the big bulky style, you can still do things like use buttons, etc in car. Found very inexpensive black ones and haven't had that severe stage happen for many years. I don't have a need for something more dressy like leather gloves but glove liners worn under leather gloves may work good if needed.

Before my mitten fix, if fingers got numb and white after being outside and I was indoors, warm water (not hot) got them back to normal in about 2-3 minutes. That treatment and others in this link from the reputable Mayo Clinic.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20363572
    2017 Collings MT
    2014 Martin 000-18