Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why "The"?

Default Why "The"?

I've noticed some mandolins that say "The Gibson", "The Loar", "The Kentucky", etc. Why do they put "the" in the name. Why not simply write Gibson, Loar, or etc.? Is there some historical reason for this?

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: Why "The"?

It's a holdover from 1890-1900 era advertising & branding, when it was common for, oh let's say, "The Gibson Mandolin and Guitar Company" to refer to themselves as simply "The Gibson". Today we're more subjected to cutesy nicknames (can you say "Mickey D? "Big Blue"?). So yes, it IS historical, at least for Gibson. Everyone else's use is generally considered to be a polite nod to Gibson's precedence and importance.

On a related topic that was oft discussed here 8-10 years ago (and since you mentioned it): Some, maybe many, if not quite offended, are certainly annoyed by a non-involved company usurping Lloyd Loar's name, from Gibson, for their title.
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Dec-13-2018 at 10:42am.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Good to note though that not all Gibson mandolins have "The" in the headstock or in the tailpiece. While it is historical, it is historical related to certain vintages.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Tradition!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65C79CE5-CABE-43C8-ADAF-037D40965AA8.jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	173379  

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Even Bruce Weber did the The thing sometimes.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

8. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Because there is a big difference between 'The Loar' and 'A Loar'.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    On a related topic that was oft discussed here 8-10 years ago (and since you mentioned it): Some, maybe many, if not quite offended, are certainly annoyed by a non-involved company usurping Lloyd Loar's name, from Gibson, for their title.
    Funny, I was just thinking about that and wondering in what way the "The Loar" builder was more legitimate than all the other builders over the decades to the degree that they felt qualified to take Loyd Loar's name?

Yeah, I agree. It is annoying. And I own one!
    Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    I've noticed some mandolins that say "The Gibson", "The Loar", "The Kentucky", etc. Why do they put "the" in the name. Why not simply write Gibson, Loar, or etc.? Is there some historical reason for this?
    From just a language perspective, I've noticed regional differences involving the use of the word "the".

For instance, in Washington state in earlier decades (1960s and earlier), before the enormous influx of people from certain other states, there was almost no superfluous use of the word "the" for objects and place names.

For instance, no oldtimer Washington resident in their right mind would have ever said "The Puget Sound" or "The I-5". It was just unheard of, not done, no reason for it, no one would have even thought of doing that because it wasn't necessary for proper identification of the thing being referred to.

But the last few decades it's all changed, and such usage of the word "the" is now commonly heard even on Seattle TV news broadcasts where one would think they would 'know' better. Guess the oldtimer regional dialects have been replaced with the new, that's the way it goes I guess, language evolution. It becomes the new norm.

As to precisely where Washington state's current overabundance of "the" comes from, I do know but I better not comment since it could be misconstrued as being some sort of geo-political state-bashing or something, which is not my intent.

As to what Washington has to do with mandolin names, it just immediately came to mind as a specific example of "the" showing up where it hadn't been before.

Anyway, I see it as all just part of the evolution of language. I guess we need language evolution otherwise we'd all still be saying "thee" and "thou" all the time.

Although I admit to having a preference for evolutionary changes that increase language efficiency, such as requiring fewer letters (e.g., changing "catalogue" to "catalog") or just making things easier to read, rather than changes which *add* letters or entire words (e.g., "the") to something where it isn't actually needed. But, different regions have different traditions which vary with population shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Tradition!
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Because there is a big difference between 'The Loar' and 'A Loar'.
    Ah. Good point. That's a logical, and possibly legal, reason for tacking on some extra letters.

13. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    It's a holdover from 1890-1900 era advertising & branding . . . .
    Yup.

I used to live in Hartford, Connecticut, the insurance capital (grr!) of the world. There, the big companies all do it: the Hartford, the Aetna, the Travelers, and so on.

And if you speak Californian, you add it to the names of freeways: "Take the 101 and get on the 12," etc.

16. The following members say thank you to Gina Willis for this post:

I think as others have alluded, it’s a choice for emphasis. I think back in the day of Orville Gibson, it was an effort to make Gibson sound a little grander. The pinnacle. It’s a type of usage that goes in and out of style.

18. The following members say thank you to Richard Mott for this post:

On a similar note, at one time it was called thefacebook until Sean Parker convinced Zuckerberg that it was a stupid name.

The "the" needs to go.

Horror movies love "The" too. If said the right way, it seems to make everything scarey. Imagine a preview, with ominous music, thunder crashing outside, and some poor soul us unwrapping "The Mandolin" that he just received for his birthday. Eeeeek.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Almost all Mando builders spend their entire careers trying to recreate a single mandolin. Mandolin players are suckers for tradition. Why else would we pay gobs of money for an f style when an a sounds identical? I’m just as guilty. “The Gibson” literally meant “The Real Deal” when I was a kid and I’m still a sucker for it on the head stock.

22. The following members say thank you to Pilot172000 for this post:

addamr 

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Horror movies love "The" too. If said the right way, it seems to make everything scarey. Imagine a preview, with ominous music, thunder crashing outside, and some poor soul us unwrapping "The Mandolin" that he just received for his birthday. Eeeeek.
    Correction: THE eeeeek.

24. The following members say thank you to DocT for this post:

Ranald 

Gibson did drop the "THE" on banjos first, then guitars and then mandolins. By 1935 they were just "Gibson". They went back to the "THE" on the mandolins only because they knew if anyone else gouged out the "gibson" logo and there was no "THE" you wouldn't know who made it. You add a "The" to things of greatness. "The Blue Diamond" "The Byrds" "The Beatles" "The Who" "The Johnny Cash Show".

26. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, and "The " garbage goes out on Friday morning...

Just kidding, I do appreciate the "The " mandolins.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

It gave the name a sense of 'exclusivity & status' - after all,back then Gibson were ''possibly'' THE premier builders of mandolins, guitars & banjos.

My Weber "Fern" has the name 'The Weber' on the headstock,maybe to signify that it was Bruce's top model ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

“The Loar”....ahh, don’t get me started. Whoops, too late!

I would hazard that they added “The” to the Loar name—a trademark which they legally purchased from Gibson—to provide a smokescreen of pretending they were not actually trying to confuse people into thinking they were getting a Loar of some sort. I think they knew perfectly well that in common usage, buyers would start talking about “my Loar” or “a Loar” for the simple reason that saying “I like my The Loar” or “because I am a highly discriminating, tradition-aware connoisseur, I’m considering buying a The Loar” sounds stupid and awkward.

I think Gibson was nuts to sell this legendary trademark, which they could have continued to use on their very best handmade-quality instruments, and not just F5Ls. But as we’ve seen rather starkly of late, apparently Gibson needed cash.

That said, I must concede that The Loar makes decent instruments which are good value in their price range.

Registered User maudlin mandolin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

None of my mandolins has "the" in font of their names but when I think or speak of them it is always "The Savannah" "The Irin" or "The Stagg" etc. (except the bowlback Gremlin which is simply "The Bowlback")

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    “The Loar”....ahh, don’t get me started. Whoops, too late!

I would hazard that they added “The” to the Loar name—a trademark which they legally purchased from Gibson—to provide a smokescreen of pretending they were not actually trying to confuse people into thinking they were getting a Loar of some sort. I think they knew perfectly well that in common usage, buyers would start talking about “my Loar” or “a Loar” for the simple reason that saying “I like my The Loar” or “because I am a highly discriminating, tradition-aware connoisseur, I’m considering buying a The Loar” sounds stupid and awkward.

I think Gibson was nuts to sell this legendary trademark, which they could have continued to use on their very best handmade-quality instruments, and not just F5Ls. But as we’ve seen rather starkly of late, apparently Gibson needed cash.

That said, I must concede that The Loar makes decent instruments which are good value in their price range.
    Gibson never trademarked nor owned the "Loar" name. It was pretty much free for the taking.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I think we just inadvertently explained why Bill Monroe called it "the Blue Grass music".
    2019 Duff A-5 #246
    1964 Martin A

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fernmando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fernmando View Post
    I think we just inadvertently explained why Bill Monroe called it "the Blue Grass music".
    Maybe.... I think in Mr. Monroe's case it definite had something to do with the whole "regional" thing. Having lived in the blue grass state for a period, they add "the" to a lot of things... "Me and the Mrs. are goin' to the Walmart later..." Kind of like California's "the 101 to the 12". Mr. Monroe used "the" in front of other things too, like the names of songs, e.g., "the Dusty Miller".
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

The barrista making my espresso this morning (typing that out sounds a little pretentious...) had “The” in front of her name on her nametag. I laughed out loud then tried to offer some mandolin explanation that resulted in some awkward laughter and me leaving a generous tip. So thanks I guess... Lol!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Someone needs to write a definitive article on the use of the definite article.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob A For This Useful Post: