Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why "The"?

Default Re: Why "The"?

In the event that anyone might think this has never been discussed before here is one of a few conversations from the past.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Ranald 

And for anyone else considering entering the mandolin business I'm pretty sure all of these names with the exception of two or so are available. I'm partial to The Barnwell.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Smile Re: Why "The"?

Hi Ivan. Although I have a 'The Loar LM 700' mandolin, I think that using the word 'The' is in poor taste by The Loar people, Weber or anyone else. I think people actually think LESS of them rather than more.

I totally agree that when Gibson used 'The' it was a statement that that instrument came from the top stable and was more or less saying 'this is not just any instrument-this is the ELITE, top of the tree Gibson'.

I don't think Tom Ellis would ever call his mandolins 'The Ellis' or Bill Collins would have called his 'The Collins'.

If the 'The Loar' had just been Loar, people would still have got the message and I think Weber could have been more creative on headstocks. I've always thought it cheapened the instruments. I actually liked their tail pieces with the large W logo. That looked good.

I've always loved 'The Gibson' slanted logo but could never fathom out why so many of these were mis-placed too near the top tuners with all that space above. Crazy.

In the East Tennessee town where I now work, there has been a long standing tradition of calling almost everything “the” something or other. We have a lot of industry and most of the plants were called “The Eastman” (big Eastman Kodak plant) or “the Mead,” or “the Press.” So if someone asked where you work you would likely say, “the Press,” or whatever. As a transplant, I always found it to be odd, and the tradition is dieing out a bit. But in the earlier years almost nobody would say just “Eastman,” it was always “the Eastman.”

There are the stories of the occasional non-local who would ask where is this place called “Theeseman?”

Pat Hull

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Someone needs to write a definitive article on the use of the definite article.
    I could do it but I’m really working hard at the job.

Hi Jimmy - IMHO - mandolin builders can call their mandolins what the heck they like !. As long as they sound good,i honestly couldn't care less (as long as it's not a rude word !). As for builders other than Gibson using the word 'The' on their headstocks,as in other instances,i think that it's just another nod towards 'what Gibson did' = if it looked 'good' on a Gibson headstock,then it should look as 'good' on mine - why not ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

8. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

DocT 

I tend to agree with this. I do not care that a company puts "the" on the headstock or tail piece. I simply wondered at where this came from and why.

Blog Entries

Surprised there is no discussion here around The Music Link's failed launch of the "The" unsigned The Loar mandolin we detailed in this April 1, 2013 news release.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    Hi Ivan. Although I have a 'The Loar LM 700' mandolin, I think that using the word 'The' is in poor taste by The Loar people, Weber or anyone else. I think people actually think LESS of them rather than more.

I totally agree that when Gibson used 'The' it was a statement that that instrument came from the top stable and was more or less saying 'this is not just any instrument-this is the ELITE, top of the tree Gibson'.

I don't think Tom Ellis would ever call his mandolins 'The Ellis' or Bill Collins would have called his 'The Collins'.

If the 'The Loar' had just been Loar, people would still have got the message and I think Weber could have been more creative on headstocks. I've always thought it cheapened the instruments. I actually liked their tail pieces with the large W logo. That looked good.

I've always loved 'The Gibson' slanted logo but could never fathom out why so many of these were mis-placed too near the top tuners with all that space above. Crazy.
    So you love the logo and understand its branding but think less of builders who pay it homage? That stance strikes me as paradoxical. I think that "The" adds a sense of prestige and exclusivity, like NFL players who announce that they attended THE Ohio State University. I like the tradition that it reflects on the peghead of my Gibson, and I appreciate builders like Gail Hester and Mike Black who honor that tradition in their modern iterations of those important instruments.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Surprised there is no discussion ... of the "The" unsigned The Loar mandolin ...
    Whoa, what a mouthful of syllables. Gotta love those April 1st news releases!

Reminds me of Road & Track mag in the '70s when they headlined "Exciting New Mercedes Benz GT", and then did a complete road test, including drag strip times, of a Mercedes Benz garbage truck. Other years, they "road tested" a steam locomotive, a motorized pogo stick ("driver headroom" was listed as "infinity"), and ... you get the idea!

Okay, back to the regularly-scheduled discussion ...
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Blog Entries

Well, The dosen't always associate with super high quality even if that was the original intent. I refer to The Walmart, The Target, and even The Facebook. Partially because it makes my yankee friends a little nuts. I think it's a holder over from my central Virginia upbringing. Branding and my willingness to wear branded things has always been a tenuous relationship. I think I got over it after I finally got my Member's Only jacket in the early 80s.

Jamie
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Dec-15-2018 at 2:13pm. Reason: Fixed Youtube syntax
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

When my daddy said 'I'm going to get THE belt!'...we listened!

Agreed. Bill calling his mandolin 'The Collins' would have been highly unlikely.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

18. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

dang 

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

It’s spreading like a virus: Ohio State University is now The Ohio State University, and Henry Ford Museum is now The Henry Ford Museum. I find it pretentious, but I guess it could be worse. Could be “The one and only.”

Regards,
    The Steve
    Living’ in the Mitten

Bill Cameron wrote (re "the Loar"):
    "I think Gibson was nuts to sell this legendary trademark"

I don't believe Gibson ever "sold" it.
    Greg Rich (formerly in charge of banjo production at Gibson) "co-opted" it and registered it under his ownership.

In a similar vein, Tom Mirasola was able to get ahold of the "Kel Kroydon" trademark for banjos...

I think I need to write that grammar book on the use of the definite article.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    It’s spreading like a virus: Ohio State University is now The Ohio State University, and Henry Ford Museum is now The Henry Ford Museum. I find it pretentious, but I guess it could be worse. Could be “The one and only.”

Regards,
    The Steve
    Beat me to it. FWIW, “TOSU” is a result of actions taken by Ohio University in Athens Ohio, a fine institution, albeit somewhat resentful of the Ohio State University’s (mainly in Columbus) fame (or infamousness).

So a number of years back, OU copywrited the word “Ohio”. :D. You could use the word Ohio in a name, but you can no longer print it on a shirt by itself, and Ohio State could no longer call itself, Ohio. Ohio State, yes. Ohio, no. So shouting “Go! Ohio!” At an Ohio State Game is really a copyright violation.

So, the Ohio State University flexed it’s massive muscles and changed it’s name to “The” Ohio State University. Just so everyone knows we are THE of the two. FWIW, Ohio University is also a state school. But we are THE.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    ——————————
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    It's a holdover from 1890-1900 era advertising & branding
    Was Gibson the first company to use "The" on the headstock of a stinged instrument?

Blog Entries

I don't think Tom Ellis would ever call his mandolins 'The Ellis'
    I played a "The Ellis" F5 at IBMA a couple years back. The owner said it was the one and only 'The Ellis'. Pretty cool looking headstock as you can imagine coming from Tom's shop.

Confused... or?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Was Gibson the first company to use "The" on the headstock of a stinged instrument?
    While I can't answer your question as it relates to stringed instruments (let's face it that most such companies of that time have disappeared, and the few o/t Gibson that remain -Martin- or that we are aware of -Lion & Healey, Washburn- did NOT use "The" on their headstocks), I can tell you the inspiration for my statement: Bathroom wallpaper at a friend's house from over 20 years ago (before they moved) that was an amalgam of print advertising from probably the Civil War thru maybe 1920, all related to, well, the bathroom! It covered the full array of fixtures & furnishings: hardware, toiletries, soaps, perfumes, shaving implements, skin care, hair care, you name it! And names like "The Allen" or "The Washensky" or "The Beautifier" or "The Whatever Else" (never quite up to "The Kohler" or "The American Standard"!) were dominant across the lot. Even as a kid in the late 40s, my aunts had then-old magazines where "The" occasionally showed up in print advertising.
    - Ed

- Ian Tyson

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?

Quote Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
    ... changed it’s name to “The” Ohio State University. Just so everyone knows we are THE of the two. FWIW, Ohio University is also a state school. But we are THE.
    My wife will be proud to know that. (PhD waaaaay before "The" was added!)
    - Ed

- Ian Tyson

Looking at old advertisements from the late 1800's and early 1900's (suggested by Ed), I see "the Lloyd Manufacturing Co." (cocaine toothache drops), "The Adlake" (camera), "The Luray Inn", "The Edinburgh Life Assurance Co.", "The Lady's Home Journal", and etc. You can also find, "The Coca Cola Company" and "The Walt Disney Company", among others.

Since "the" is the definite article, I assume that universally distinct companies will use "The" and companies in competition with others with similar names. However, I think it may be a trademark issue in many cases. They put "The" in front of the name so as to distinguish their trademarked name from other companies that have sound alike names. So, if I am correct, The Gibson company had a famous employee names Loar. His instruments became widely known and respected during his life time. Later, another company named themselves "The Loar" in order to not only honor him, but to tie themselves to that name, and set themselves off as unique from a general term related to The Gibson company.

I am just guessing, of course.

Steve - I don't find that adding a 'The' to something like ''The Henry Ford Museum'' is 'pretentious. In the UK we have 'The National Art Gallery' / 'The British Museum' / 'The Barbican' (London's performing arts centre). In the US, there's also 'The Ford Motor Co.' & i'm sure many other Cos. sporting a 'The'.

Does it really matter anyway ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I think it adds an air of genuineness. At a time of copies, etc. it indicates that this is the real deal. THE one and only.

The Chibson.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    ——————————
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

I think it's fine for any use except "The Ohio State."
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H