Thread: Flat Top Mandolin First Build Questions

Default Flat Top Mandolin First Build Questions

Hello there!

I'm gearing up for my first build and have The Mandolin Manual (John Troughton) on order. I have some experience with building guitars but had some questions to help get me started until the book arrives.

1. What are the best bracing pattern/materials for a flat top mandolin? I'm very curious about carbon fiber, but haven't been able to track down any good pictures or examples of it being used.

2. I will likely be going with spruce top and either rosewood or walnut back and sides. Based on that can anyone recommend a good neck wood?

3. Last, is a band saw going to be necessary to do this build? (At least on guitars, I can get away with just a scroll saw.)

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Flat Top Mandolin First Build Questions

I built a flat top "Bell" mandolin (Lyon and Healy design) a couple of years ago using carbon fiber rods to to offset some of the string tension. I used a 15 foot radius induced arch in both the top and back and X-bracing in the top. It sounded fine, lots of sustain. Mahogany would be a good choice for the neck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1880.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	472.2 KB 
ID:	173375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1878.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	173376  
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Cant really help you with your questions, but I do have a suggestion about wood selection. A number of years ago, I had Mike Dulak at Big Muddy Mandolins build me a flat top and used cedar over rosewood. A bit unconventional, but the tone and "mellowness" is lovely.

Best of luck with your build. See if you can find out how Mike braces his top. Also, call the folks at Northfield and ask how they are bracing their new Calhoun flattop!!
    Jim D

I used Graham Macdonald's book, though I modified the plan a bit. I highly recommended it for the bracing pattern and other details. here's how mine came out:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...k-top-flat-top

+1 on picking up a copy of Graham Macdonald's book. I got the digital copy from his website, and it was well worth it.
    1) As far as bracing, Graham has an example of an H-Brace in his book. I once owned a flat-top mandocello with this bracing and it sounded awesome. That instrument also had carbon fiber in the bracing if I remember correctly (It was a thin strip of CF sandwiched between two pieces of spruce). I'm building two flat-tops right now, and I opted for X bracing, front and back. I'm bracing heavier than what would be called for on an arched-top instrument.
    2) As far as neck wood, maple is very common in mandolins and would look nice with the rosewood/walnut. Mahogany would work great too.
    3) I would think that if you could build a guitar with your scroll saw, you could build a mandolin too. I have made one mandolin with a scroll saw, and the biggest challenge was the neck. 2" thick maple was the upper limit of what my scroll saw could handle.

Thanks for the responses and picture sharing! May main concern about the bracing isnt so much the sound but more the strength. Im worried if I dont get it right, the top will eventually collapse over time.

If you use an induced radius in the top while bracing the top that will go a long way to prevent a top collapse. I used a 15 foot radius form from LMI....

https://www.lmii.com/radiusing/2632-...hing-form.html

Good luck with your build. I also recommend Graham's book, lots of useful information there.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings