Thread: Ottawa Canada Seeking interested players for mandolin orchestra

Default Ottawa Canada Seeking interested players for mandolin orchestra

To all interested,
    We are exploring the possibility of starting a mandolin orchestra in Ottawa Canada.
    All are welcome to inquire.
    Feel free to comment here or send a personal message to me.
    We will try to get this started in the New Year!
    Barry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barry Canada For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ottawa Canada Seeking interested players for mandolin orchest

Have I started this thread in the under the correct heading?
    Or shouldt it be under general mandolin Discussions and/or Jams and Workshop... sections?
    And thanks to the members responding!
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Have I started this thread in the under the correct heading?
    Or shouldt it be under general mandolin Discussions and/or Jams and Workshop... sections?
    And thanks to the members responding!
    Barry
    I think that not many people look down here unless they're interested in the specific categories listed in the heading, which eliminates quite a few of us. In fact, I noticed it and brought it to the attention of one other who responded. So I'd say, give it a try under the General Discussions, where others may notice.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

I live in Vancouver currently, but I’m going to keep an eye on this thread as there is a strong possibility that I may be moving out that way in the spring/early summer.

7. The following members say thank you to bstanish for this post:

Thanks Bstanish,
    Feel free to PM me.
    Barry

I’m following up on my previous post.
    I have gotten a few responses. Thank You all for your interest. Most responders seem to be interested in something organized but not necessarily strictly “limited” to Classical music. The idea of classical seems to send some level of fear down people’s spines! After discussing the individual desires with a few mandolin players in Ottawa there definitely seems to be interest but at this point not genre specific. I suggested initiating and setting up an Ottawa mandolin or Society. This would be open to individuals interested in mandolin playing in general. Specific genres could be initiated and developed as interests within the group evolve and diversify. This seemed approach seemed to promote positive feedback.
    Any suggestion about this approach by others would be very much appreciated.
    I would like to open up a more general thread but still unsure where I should place it in the forum.
    Looking forward to your responses!
    Barry

We have a long-standing mandolin group on the Wirral (just outside Liverpool, for non-UK folks), and our repertoire started out mainly light classical, swing and Italian -- the usual "Golden Age" mandolin orchestra repertoire played by BMG groups in the UK from the 1920s onwards. Over the past few years we have gradually widened the repertoire into folk, Celtic and old-time on the one side, and into baroque and early music on the other. We meet once a week to play for our own enjoyment rather than rehearsing repertoire for concerts.

Especially for players without formal classical training (whether on mandolin or other instruments), having arrangements of more folky material such as fiddle tunes or waltzes greatly lowers the entry threshold to participating in and enjoying ensemble playing. This material also lends itself to inviting rhythm guitar players who do not have classical guitar training and cannot read standard notation as the arrangements tend to come with guitar chord symbols (we would love to have a sight-reading classical guitarist as we lost a chunk of our repertoire when our previous guitarist retired -- if you play classical guitar and live in the Merseyside area, get in touch!).

Note that this is something quite different from a folk session: the tunes are played from written arrangements, with fully-composed harmony parts. There are a lot of good free or cheap sources of material out there, many of which I have posted here on the Cafe over the years along with my crude home recordings of how they may sound.

One of our main sources of repertoire are the wonderful multipart arrangements by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni. Her three books available from Amazon each have over 100 tunes, all in three-part harmony plus chords. Over the years, she has posted many of them free here on the Cafe. In addition, the early 20th century Italian ballo liscio tunes posted by Sheri Mignano here on the Cafe are great sources of repertoire, especially for smaller groups where two-part harmony plus guitar rhythm works fine. We also play a number of tunes adapted from the Ottawa Fiddle Ensemble and Ottawa Ceili Band repertoire. They are both run by Alf Warnock in Ottawa and as he is local to you getting in touch for ideas and players may be a good starting point.

Good luck!

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Feb-07-2019 at 10:47am.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the positive feedback Martin. I will certainly follow up with your suggestions. I know Alf!
    I'll proceed with a couple of informal meetings with interested players and offer your suggestions.
    So far the response form players has been positive and supportive posts in this forum are quite motivating.
    And by the way I have really enjoyed your posts!
    Best, Barry
    Last edited by Barry Canada; Feb-07-2019 at 12:48pm.

13. The following members say thank you to Barry Canada for this post:

I attended an inaugural session with other mando players in Ottawa last night. Thanks to Barry for taking the initiative to form a local collective for mandolin players.

We had a great time strumming together and playing some tunes. I'm very much looking forward to future meetings of the Ottawa Mandolin Club (or Society)!

I taught at the Crane School of Music at Potsdam State, just an hour south of Ottawa. Your beautiful city kept us sane and cultured while we lived in a cold isolated little college town. But there were many musicians--students and teachers--who played a variety of string instruments. I would check there, you might find some great talent. Good luck, and say hello the NAC and the Rideaux Canal!
    jim

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Ranald 

Registered User jascime@yahoo.com's Avatar

Hi Barry. I live out in Almonte but work in the city. I am interested in participating in the orchestra, ensemble or society. Genre isnt a concern- i enjoy all music styles. Thanks. John

18. The following members say thank you to jascime@yahoo.com for this post:

Hi John,
    Thanks for your interest in our group.
    It would be pleasure to have you join us. I will following up with a PM to you.
    Best, Barry

I am interested in exploring the opportunity to play in a mandolin orchestra in Ottawa. Do you have others interested? How do I connect with you?

Hi Tess,
    Thanks for your interest in our group.
    We have grown to a group of seven players after inaugurating the group this past spring. We are presently welcoming players of all genres of music. The mandate of the group is to develop a supportive collective of mandolin players who enjoy playing, learning and sharing music.
    Our monthly meetings take place in the New Edinburgh area of Ottawa. I will follow up with a Private Message to you after which you could contact me directly. I could then answer any questions you may have.
    We look forward to more having more mandolin players join our group. Feel free to reach out to other players and let them know we exist and are a welcoming group!
    Best, Barry
    Last edited by Barry Canada; Aug-31-2019 at 3:54pm.

Hi, I started taking mandolin lessons in September 2018, and am interested in joinining this group.

Hello Jennifer,
    Thanks for your interest and inquiry. I am sorry to tell you that due to lack of interest the group has discontinued meetings.
    Feel free to PM me if you would like any further information.
    Best, Barry