Thread: Mando Ideas for a 12 Year Old

Default Mando Ideas for a 12 Year Old

A friend is wanting to buy her 12 year old daughter a mandolin. The daughter is pretty accomplished with a violin using the Suzuki method.

My thoughts, Eastman, Kentucky. Loar or ?????? Any models to recommend or avoid?

Default Re: Mando Ideas for a 12 Year Old

What do you expect her to play on it? If it's not going to be bluegrass, add some flat tops into the equation.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Eastman 305, if the young lady is that good I think she will like the 305.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolin tony For This Useful Post:

The Loar, if the rumors are true it has taller frets than the others, that will make it more playable for a beginner and a child.

All three are made in China, all three make decent starter (really mid-level) instruments, and all three are a cut above the bargain basement ones.

A good setup (low action), and light (or even ultra-light) strings will also help increase playability for a beginner.

A mandolin will be harder to fret than a violin simply because it has two strings per course, so the above stuff will help.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Eastman 305. Can't go wrong.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Agree with the above recs, including adding a flat top into the mix (Flatiron 1N and Big Muddy tend to be the most economical) unless she's into bluegrass, in which case I'd go with Eastman 305 or Kentucky's KM-150.
    Chuck

I see that you are in the Northwest. If flat tops are an option check out Howard Morris in Eastern Oregon. He hand builds very affordable and quality instruments. He also builds carved tops, but his flat tops come in under $600 new. If you are in Oregon there is used one in Albany at a great price. NFI in either link below.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/132651#132651
    https://corvallis.craigslist.org/msg...770642353.html
    Last edited by Willem; Dec-12-2018 at 4:53pm.
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

No specific recommendation, just that they should get her the best mandolin they can afford, and should be sure to have it set up by someone experienced with, and good at set-up work. A quality instrument that is easy to play can be an inspiration for a student. A poor instrument that is hard to play can discourage a student and/or contribute to the development of bad habits.

I think by 12 you should able to handle any instrument size-wise. If it seems likely that she will really take it I'd just get the best model that can be afforded, factoring in set-up.

I am a complete newbie on the mandolin, but I was advised not to get an el cheapo mandolin or I would become frustrated. The three I was most recommended were Loar, Kentucky, and Eastman. All of these range from $300 to $450 in price. I found that the A style is cheaper but the same sound and quality. I ended up with Loar because that is what I could find locally and I had it professionally set up. I am able to practice a good bit every day without getting sore or tired.

As a side note, I let one of my 13 year old female students try it out and she loved it. She is very tiny, but had no problems at all pressing the strings or playing chords.

One last thing, Walmart is running some killer sales on these. They still need setting up.

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    One last thing, Walmart is running some killer sales on these. They still need setting up.
    I assume you are talking about walmart.com. Yes they "sell" mandolins but it is similar to Amazon. Many of them are sold by throd party sellers. You can probably do as well other places depending on what you are looking for. And, as you note, you really still have to get it set up properly. Better off to pay a some more and go to a reliable dealer like one of those who advertise here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yes, that is the downside. The initial cost is a lot less. I see Loar and Kentucky ranging from $255 to $299. I am not certain what a good setup would cost.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Has she actually expressed any interest in the mandolin? Does she like and listen to mandolin friendly music? If not your friend might want to reconsider. As hard as it is to believe, not everyone wants to play the mandolin!
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

No one has mentioned a Martin mandolin, so i will. They are light, need light strings and most of all have only 13" scale so they fret easier. I can go back and forth to my other mandolins without noticing differences in the scale, but do like the shorter scale length.

To gain the shorter scale length you could also capo any mandolin on the first fret and tune to pitch. It would make any mandolin play easier no matter the string gauge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I would agree with the notion of a good flat top. They typically require lighter strings and are therefore easier to fret. My daughter (12 yo at the time) used to prefer to play the Flatiron 1N that I had for a short time (when she decided to try it out).

On a side note, my 3 other daughters ages 4 - 10 yrs all play violin and are learning with the Suzuki method... really good stuff!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Has she actually expressed any interest in the mandolin? Does she like and listen to mandolin friendly music? If not your friend might want to reconsider. As hard as it is to believe, not everyone wants to play the mandolin!
    She has asked for a mandolin. She noodled around with mine over Thanksgiving weekend and did pretty well. Mom is worried about long term interest so she doesn’t want to invest a lot right away.

I have a Breedlove I might loan her, or a friend has a mandolin he might loan her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    I have a Breedlove I might loan her, or a friend has a mandolin he might loan her.
    That would be the best thing overall. Otherwise, the parents would buy her something cheap and it might not be satisfying to play. A cheap mandolin does not have the sustain that you can get from even a cheap violin. I am a firm believer in lending out my extra instruments. They get played and and you are doing a young person a favor and possibly changing her life.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I agree-- let her play the Breedlove for as long as she likes. If she loves playing mandolin and picks it up easily (sounds like she will),[U]then[U] think about buying her one.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    The daughter is pretty accomplished with a violin using the Suzuki method.
    She might enjoy the murphy method.

And the Breedlove

I don't know what the budget is, but she should have a decent instrument. If she's 12 and a Suzuki student, it's a fair bet she has been playing for several years—long enough to have developed some sophistication about instruments. Find her something where she can get a good sound right off. With several years of violin, she'll fly with mandolin.

Actually, after playing one of Northfield’s Calhoun models at the Music Emporium, I’d recommend one of these to anyone wanting a good, solid, great sounding starter mandolin.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

23. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post: