Thread: Grass Talk Radio GTR-097 - The Master Class Story

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Grass Talk Radio GTR-097 - The Master Class Story

A new issue of Grass Talk Radio Podcast has just been published:

GrassTalkRadio.com Episode 097
    The Master Class Story - It is amazing how the entire course of one's life can be altered by one seemingly small event or decision. This is the story of how I was convinced by a student to write my first book. What a can of worms he opened! But, alas. He was right!

In addition to sharing the back story of how I got started producing instructional books and videos, I answer a question sent to me by a listener that may be on the minds of many.
    If you enjoy the show you can support what I am doing by visiting my online store at http://www.payhip.com/bradleylaird.
    For additional goodies, be sure to scope out the show notes here: http://www.bradleylaird.com/podcast/...how-notes.html
    GrassTalkRadio is a show for people who play or are learning to play bluegrass--the coolest music in the world!

More...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Grass Talk Radio GTR-097 - The Master Class Story

...just posting the episode specific show graphic since the NewsFetcher doesn't grab it. I think it helps folks understand at a glance what the episode is about. This episode talks about my first classified right here on Mandolin Cafe and how all this got started.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTR-097-300.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	173368

I would love to hear from anyone who has the original black and white cover version!

Brad, thank you for this latest podcast episode -- it arrived at the perfect time!

I had just started wondering how -- and whether -- I should start Mandolin Master Class now and go through it piece-by-piece as a regular segment in my beginner-level practice sessions, or whether I should wait until I reach intermediate level and then start working through Master Class.

I try to work your books/videos into my 60-90 minute daily sessions this way now:

1.RH and LH warmup drills. (7-10 min)

2. Sight-reading/standard notation refresher practice (usually an etude from the Deborah Chen "Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist" book, or any tune in standard notation that I haven't played too much before). (7-10 min)

3.Strum some chords, chop some rhythm to loosen up and feel musical. (7-10 min)

4.Pick one tune from my repertoire and play it at the fastest speed I can play it error-free, then focus on any weak spots and work on them. (7-15 min.)

5. Take the latest Mike Marshall lesson I'm working on in the ArtistWorks beginner-level curriculum and try to make some progress on it -- usually it's a new tune each lesson with a new technique or concept being introduced, so I'm learning it piece by piece over several weeks. (15-20 min)

6. Practice scales, arpeggios, etc., using Mandolin Master Class drills -- for example, I've memorized and can play the major scales pretty smoothly now in G, G# and A, but B is a little more challenging so today I spent more time slowly getting that one down. This time slot is where I might review your videos and/or audio tracks. (7-10 min)

7. If any time remains (and I try to keep to time limits so that I spend at least some time on all of the above), I try to end on a fun/creative note -- for example, tinker with a variation of my own on my current lesson tune, which usually makes me use a combination of theory, scales, ear, etc., that I've just been practicing. (10-15 min.)

Blog Entries

Callmegina: Thanks. That was good timing. Over the years I have had a number of people pose similar questions about “when” to tackle the book. The podcast answers it pretty well I think.

Seems you have a pretty good plan. Keep it up.

Podcast episode suggestion: "A (Bluegrass) Christmas Story."
    [If you have one... But since we're both Jean Shepherd fans, there's some inspiration for ya]