Thread: Cyber Tracking

Default Cyber Tracking

I was wondering how Google News knows what instruments I have looked at in the Mandolin Cafe classified section?

Default Re: Cyber Tracking

They know what my wife and I discuss.

Blog Entries

Google and many other companies are tracking just about everything on your computer and phone now days. This is how they make a living, selling your information and browsing habits. If you like anonymity, it's best to simply stay offline.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

When you look at an ad, anywhere, the page leaves a "cookie" on your browser, a short bit of code listing that you've been there. The next site "eats the cookie" by reading where you've already been and adding a new cookie. Google tracks all that to coordinate ads between the various sites your visit, so that Gibson 5FL you saw on the classifieds page may show up on your FaceBook page if someone's buying your keyword, like #mandolin and advertising on FaceBook. I use a free add blocker software uBlock and Ghostery to prevent all this on my Macbook, but sites like Reddit and FaceBook, and many media pages, seem to be starting to block videos from playing or comments from appearing, unless i disable it. You don't want to be tracked, but you also don't want traditional media to go out of business. I suspect that soon adblockers won't work. If you want to support sites like Mandolin Cafe, the best thing to do in my opinion is to register on the site instead of lurking as many people do, but Scott can speak best for the site. It is in our mutual interests that there is a market behind keywords like #mandolin and #bluegrass so that content about these subjects are curated for us by businesses interested in those markets.

5. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    I use a free add blocker software uBlock and Ghostery to prevent all this on my Macbook
    I looked up those two ad blockers and now I get ads for them everywhere I surf.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

ha!

There are now privacy browsers that address this very thing, with the tools built right in. Three that I use are Epic, Bravery & AdBlock Plus Browser. The latter has some stability issues on iPads, but all three are good alternatives to Chrome, Firefox & IE.

10. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

So does google just put up ads for anything I look at? Or is someone paying for information about what I browse and also paying to put ads up about what I browse? And why would someone pay to put up an ad for a mandolin that I looked at, unless they sell mandolins?

Blog Entries

Firefox and other browsers have something called New Private Window and Content Blocking. There is also something called VPN or Virtural Private Network in anti-virus software that sort of gives you a channel thru the mess out there for your own privacy.

This topic verges on politics and opinions vary. We notice this tracking issue now because the FCC chairman has changed the commercial rules about tracking people.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

13. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

They can also look through the camera on your laptop and know what you are wearing (or not!)..........I keep a piece of black tape over mine.

Seems like a big tradeoff, just to enjoy looking at instruments, IMHO.

I wonder how we got along 30 years ago without the internet. I know I practiced a lot more back then.......

15. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

I use the same 2 'blockers' ( uBlock origin & Ghostery) as does Santiago,& they seem to work very well (mostly). As long as nobody's tracking my banking details,i don't mind the odd 'pop-up'. A long while back,i was amazed to find that as soon as i went onto YouTube,lo & behold !! - a host of Bluegrass vids.were waiting for me. How did that happen ? - YouTube collect data on EVERYTHING that you watch.

Very often,i've done a search for mandolin related photos. & i've found a Google link to dozens of photos.,many of them of my own & other mandolins belonging to Cafe members. Google must be able to grab them somehow. However, if you look at a photo. & click on the 'visit' button,it'll send you straight to the Cafe thread (if it was taken from the Cafe of course) in which the photo. was posted. All the info is there along with your name & possibly your location.

I'm sure that Scott knows about this, & i'm equally sure that there's nothing insideous about it. I consider it just another example of Google collecting 'DATA' on almost everything,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.