Thread: LR Baggs Venue preset tips?

Default LR Baggs Venue preset tips?

New to me, a used LR Baggs Venue. I'll be running it with the Bartlett condenser mic, through a Sterling PHP1 phantom supply to the Venue.
    Any tips, preset preferences, db boost settings appreciated.

Found these 2 users, got yer ears on, 10-4?
    Dave Greenspoon
    CES
    Last edited by TomBrisk; Dec-12-2018 at 11:12am. Reason: Remove links

Default Re: LR Baggs Venue preset tips?

The venue doesn't really have presets. I used one heavily for a long time and my method was:

1 - Set it flat
    2 - adjust notch and phase to kill feedback
    3 - EQ to taste for the room/instrument
    This is the step where the work comes in.
    I usually set the variable frequency EQ's with this method: turn gain up quite a bit past center, sweep EQ while playing until unpleasant frequency gets loud, then turn gain back to cut that frequency (Im a subtractive EQ guy, rarely add)
    4 - set boost about halfway, adjust as needed.

Thanks, I'll try and get it to a happy place!

It really was a quality unit. I think it will serve you well. It's one of the few pieces of gear I didn't sell off when I bought a Helix. I happen to know wher eyou can buy a LR Baggs Acoustic Reference Amp if you are interested. I sold it to my local Guitar center and it is in their acoustic room now for around $750 I think. It is 200W and has 2 channels of the same EQ as the Venue plus an AUX in. I used to run Mandolin into channel one, banjo into channel 2, and acoustic Guitar through the venue into the AUX. It also has a reverb unit and mic pre's on both channels with optional phantom power.

The only thing I felt it was missing was the boost that the Venue has. Left me having to choose which instrument went through the Venue and got the boost.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

The Venue helped me cure the low-end thump of the Radius, based on advice from the Cafe. GREAT piece of gear, even though it gets dinged here from time to time. The tuner is the weak link; get a Polytune Noir to go in the chain. Otherwise, wait until you send your signal out XLR to a good acoustic amp like my older Fishman Loudbox 100.

I start w/EQ and gain at noon and tweak (usually down) as needed. I figure boost is boost, so I have it maxed at its 9dB setting. I've really never needed to address feedback, and prefer to send mod/time fx to the amp loop instead of thru the Venue and then into the front of the amp. It is my indispensable secret sauce for plugging in my Rigel A, and adds a whole layer of extra awesome to the Crafter.

And don't tell the folks at TGP, but it even works great for electric instruments as well.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

im also another rigel /venue user.

just grabbed mine, out of curiosity.

as mentioned, it really has to be tuned to a room , the volume, the mix, the instrument and its pick up. I find many of my friends don't take the time to really listen and play with the eq. I too tend to work from flat or neutral and subtract and add as needed.

currently
    all tones controls are flat, ie 12 noon, but low mid is at 2 oclock, volume at 2 oclock

notch off, 2 oclock-(100-500), 11 oclock 500-2.5K), 2 oclock (gain)
    boost, on back 2 oclock, just enough to lift a break but not make it scream.

tuner IS worthless, ie DO get a TC electronics polytune- I find its not only slow, but not terribly accurate, bad for guitar, really bad for mando and banjo and quick decay instruments. lights are bitchin though....LOL>

the venue is great for mando, banjo and guitar, in my experience too. well made unit.
    I bought it not only for the eq, but simply to have some onstage control over volume and muting.
    the muting feature, via tune button is the reason I chose the venue over the smaller brown Baggs DI.

For those wondering, imho, both do the same job. The smaller less pricey unit however, which I test drove for over a month, really isn't friendly to on the fly on stage tweaking.

Interesting, thanks for the... input, ha.
    I played around with it at a Guitar Center in the acoustic room, and will fine tune tonight at the Conor Byrne venue.
    Questions-
    Where's your presence set, and why is notch Off?

Notch off because it didnt feedback.
    Presence 0 , piezos are bright, brittle, or atleast my rigel a is.
    Sorry for the late replay.

Thanks
    I left the trial settings set up in the store, worked great with the Bartlett condenser mic outside of the treble F hole.
    Worked even better when I remembered to stomp on the boost button! I'll get used to it... :-)

Sorry for being late to the party, hope it’s working out well for you. Agree that you have to dial it in for the room you’re in. I’ve mostly used mine with acoustic guitar and one of the Baggs sound hole pickups, but am awaiting the arrival of a Rigel CT 110 and will be using the Venue with it in church in November. I’ll report back if I discover anything worthwhile!
    Chuck