Thread: Doug Unger Mandolin

Default Doug Unger Mandolin

Who is the lucky individual that got that sweet Unger A style that was at Elderly yesterday? I'd love to hear a testimony when it arrives to you unless of course you purchased it at the store and walked out with it. Post a pic and a video or something...

Best,
    Dem

Default Re: Doug Unger Mandolin

Was it this one?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscf1699_3.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	173357

It is interesting because the one that had a few years ago, though it had a lot more inlay work, was listed at $9000 vs this one at $3500.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I would be said lucky individual. I'm a huge fan of Doug Unger's work so when I spotted the mandolin pop-up on Elderly's site there was only a moments hesitation before I snapped it up! It should be arriving sometime today and I will definitely be sharing pictures and thoughts once it's had a chance to warm up from the cold. As an added bonus I live only about 15 miles from Prof. Unger's workshop, so the mando will be returning to it's old stomping grounds.

As far as I can tell that's it. I think it's been through Elderly a couple times in the last few years. Here is the more recent posting:

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/prod...5-artist-1999/

I like the look of that one vs. the 2012 one. Prof. Unger is a master pearl engraver but I like the slotted snakehead and that gorgeous torch inlay. Congratulations, Matt!

Name:	dscf1705_5.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	344.6 KB 
ID:	173358
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The one from a few years back belonged to a fairly famous landscape painter from New England who also had some of Doug’s banjos. His mandolins and some of his banjos were consigned by the executor of his estate at Elderly after he passed in 2015. He had some really nice mandolins.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I like the look of that one vs. the 2012 one. Prof. Unger is a master pearl engraver but I like the slotted snakehead and that gorgeous torch inlay. Congratulations, Matt!

Name:	dscf1705_5.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	344.6 KB 
ID:	173358
    That is amazing. What are those little balls on the strings in the headstock? Are they free floating or built into headstock as string guides?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Wow, great find Matt!
    I’ve been watching the one that was on Elderly until sometime this year, “A Harmony in Brown and Black”, was that part of the same collection described? I think it was a 2010.
    Many years ago Doug Unger was a guest instructor for a couple of days at a luthiery program I took...showed us the MoP-engraving process, and gave us a lecture on “good taste”, artistically speaking—he knows somewhat about that. I’m glad his work is so highly-regarded.

Thanks all! I believe the little balls are in fact sting guides. It's really quite a fascinating solution to the string path problem with slot head design, both aesthetically and functionally. I'll post some more detailed photos when I have the mandolin in hand.

11. The following members say thank you to MattS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    Thanks all! I believe the little balls are in fact sting guides. It's really quite a fascinating solution to the string path problem with slot head design, both aesthetically and functionally. I'll post some more detailed photos when I have the mandolin in hand.
    I have a feeling that if you don't use those string guides the strings will abrade the lining of the slots in the headstock. I suppose he could have done what Fender does on their guitars and add string trees but that would ruin the aesthetic of the inlays.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

The Unger mandolin arrived and it is even more striking in person than in Elderly's images! The details are meticulous and the aesthetics are amazing. But I guess that's all to me expected with any Unger instrument.

The mando sounds fantastic. I've heard Unger mandolins being described as "voiced for bluegrass", and I this one has that in spades. Clear, articulate trebles and throaty almost "hollowed out log" lower mids and bass. It's a joy to play. The next is relatively hefty but with fat v profile that sits in the hand quite comfortably.

A few of interesting tidbits. There appears to be an adjustable trussrod poking through a hole in the neck block. I'm guessing if you needed to tweak it you could go in through the end pin hole. I'm fairly certain the turners are repurposed 1920s tuners. The heal button on the back plate has this fascinating compound curve to it, it's almost beak-like.

All in all I'm a very happy camper, have landing a fantastic example from one of my musical instrument building heroes!

Lots more and much larger pictures here, along with close-ups of the previously discussed string guides.

14. The following members say thank you to MattS for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

So cool! Enjoy!

When are you going to do a video?
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

She's a pretty one for sure. Thanks for taking the time to share. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

That is what a friend of mine would refer to as “A Higher Degree of Elegance!”
    Play it with great joy!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett