Thread: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

Registered User MISTAHCOUGHDROP's Avatar

Default Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

Hola... looking for the mandolin tab for Grey Owl (not Gray Eagle). Anyone know of a source for this? Can't seem to locate it. Some friends of mine did this on guitar/fiddle the other night but thought perhaps someone had tabbed it here on manolin.

Many thanks! MATTHEW
    MATTHEW ROSE STUDIO

KRISHOT A (1999)
    Weber Yellowstone F (2012)

Default Re: Grey Owl - Jean Baptiste Arcand - Mandolin Tab Anyone?

This is a great tune, I learned it by listening to Sierra Hull’s version, it was tough with the little extra measure in there but good practice. Not sure if there is mandolin TAB out there but here’s a guitar version if you or someone you know reads notation.

https://www.flatpick.com/category_s/2321.htm

Here’s a fun version as well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aBD1yOj9Gxo
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

3. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I am a firm believer in going back to the original source. Here is John Arcand playing it. You will also notice that his phrasing is much different from others. He has that Metis/Quebecois "lift" accent.

And here is a nice video about the man, fiddle player and fiddle maker.

A friend in our Quebecois fiddle group transcribed this version—sorry, in standard notation, not mandolin tab. No guarantees how accurate. The B part sounds real close to my ears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grey Owl.pdf  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Pretty cool to hear the original version. I've actually learned it from the Darol Anger/Joe Walsh versions, but it's nice to find that the melody is essentially unchanged - they've just altered the chords/harmonic structure. It's an incredibly fun tune to play (hard to stop playing, in fact - we tend to go on and on.) I do prefer the Anger/Walsh chord structure, though. It gives it a nice flow that is fun to improvise over.
    Mitch Russell

7. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    Pretty cool to hear the original version. I've actually learned it from the Darol Anger/Joe Walsh versions, but it's nice to find that the melody is essentially unchanged - they've just altered the chords/harmonic structure. It's an incredibly fun tune to play (hard to stop playing, in fact - we tend to go on and on.) I do prefer the Anger/Walsh chord structure, though. It gives it a nice flow that is fun to improvise over.
    And what is that chord structure? Thanks!
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    They also smooth out the rhythm to a more modern bluegrassy sound. I prefer the original but I am a big fan of Métis and Québécois fiddling and love that subtle sort of hiccoughing accent that is present in both those styles. For more of that style of playing see the music section of The Virtual Museum of Métis History and Culture.

Here is another sound file of John Arcand playing the Red River Jig — a very crooked tune and not really a jig.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I must thank you, Matthew, for reminding me of this tune and how much i love it. It has always been on my list but today I put Mr. Arcand's version into Amazing Slow Downer and learned it note for note. I planned on uploading a more accurate transcription but found this flatpicking guitar version which is much more accurate than the other one I uploaded. Actually, it is just the A part that is different. The B parts in both are pretty close to each other and to the recording. Just remember that the TAB is for guitar, not mandolin. Just another example where notation can work for multiple instruments vs. TAB. With the exception of the extra 2/4 measure to make the A part crooked, it is not a complex tune. Like many fiddle tunes or even other tunes, it is made up of arpeggios and scales.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

And what is that chord structure? Thanks!
    Not terribly different than the flatpicking version that Jim linked, it just changes chords a bit more often, and occasionally at odd points in the measure. Essentially just D-Em-G-Bm-G-A-D for the A part, D-Bm-G-A for the B. If you watch the Molly Tuttle/Joe Walsh/John Mailander video, you'll get an idea of the timing of the changes.

BTW, that flatpicking notation that Jim linked was also the best printed version I could find on the interwebs, but I too ended up putting a recording in the slowdowner to learn it.
    Mitch Russell

14. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Here’s another version by Brittany Haas and Lauren Rioux. That has some of that syncopated phrasing that Arcand uses.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I had recently come across Molly Tuttle and crew's version and transcribed the head. I had seen the Flatpick transcription but there were enough differences (quibbling on 2/4 measure placement, chord changes) that I wanted a separate version.

I stumbled across this thread and was wowed by Arcand's version; drove me to finally register an account. There were enough differences there that I decided to write it out, too. I'm not familiar with the Quebecois style (curious mode mixture with the trills!), and was intrigued by the unbalanced chord changes, especially during the B section.

Hopefully they aren't too problematic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grey Owl.pdf  

18. The following members say thank you to jbylsma for this post:

Registered User MISTAHCOUGHDROP's Avatar

Many thanks Mandolin Café Community for your responses. Love this tune and will spend the next few weeks getting it down on the mandolin. Appreciate the links and the guitar tabs. You are generous people.
    MATTHEW ROSE STUDIO

KRISHOT A (1999)
    Weber Yellowstone F (2012)

The original John Arcand version has a very Scottish feel, and I am not hearing that extra bar in the original version but that is probably just me.
    I like the Darol Anger version from E&A but I also like the Sierra Hull solo octave version, and am trying to do that melody. What chord structure I wind up with will probably be somewhere in the middle (the variations on the web are myriad), I know David Benedict covered this tune and has a youtube out there as well as a pdf on his patron page.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

21. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Well listening to Sierra (Molly Tuttle, Joe K Walsh and John Mailander play a hypergrass version), Darol Anger (with Joe K W again) as well as David Benedict and John Arcand, I put together a version that is mostly from Sierra's solo Northfield Octave version, with parts and pieces from the others. I am following the JKW and David Benedict arrangement of the extra 2 beats as changing time signature from 4/4 to 2/4 then back to 4/4,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grey-owl-2-4.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	209031
    but it occurred to me you could write it as one bar of 3/2,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grey-owl-3-2.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	209032
    I count is as 1, 2, 3&a4, 5, 6 anyway.