Thread: Mixing String sets

Default Mixing String sets

Howdy folks. I've got a ten string guitar body mandocello that takes ball ends, and as I haven't come by any "sets" that fit the gauge, I've just been experimenting with all kinds of strings. Most recently I've thrown on some GHS silk and steel: initially to satisfy the strange desire to see what the instrument would look like fully strung in silver. (Werewolves wouldn't dare set their paws on this puppy- hee hee ) There is however a more characteristically softer, mellow tone than the phosphor bronze. Which got me thinking: what would the tone be like dividing each course with a different set of strings? IE, each coarse strung with both phosphor bronze and silk&steel, or perhaps any other combination. Any ya'll have experience making such experiments? Tension go out of wack, any playability problems? The silk & steel strings are subjectively easier to fret, so I can only guess the sensation of playing with a mixed set might feel a bit off.

Default Re: Mixing String sets

I haven't tried it, but my guess would be that with the more extreme difference (like combining PB and Silk and Steel) you might have intonation problems. Saddles are compensated for whatever the builder considers the best or most likely string gauges, not for a mix of tension at the same pitch. That's just a guess though, and people do manage to mix octave pairs on OMs without too much trouble.

3. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post: