Thread: Binding height

Default Binding height

The binding I ordered for my instrument is .250" high. In references I have read (including Siminoff's book) they suggest that the binding channel be cut to 3/16". Does this mean I will need to go back and trim the binding down flush with the edge of the instrument once glued? How is this done--thumb plane, chisel, etc.?

Default Re: Binding height

Yes, if you want 3/16" binding you simply have to cut the 1/4" binding down after the glue cures. Depending on what glue you use to secure the binding, cure time can be pretty long or much less with superglue.
    Finger plane, scraper, file, sandpaper are the tools I usually use, in that order (though I may not use them all each time).

A single edge razor blade turned into a scraper by running the edge across a round file works real well. The burr you created is the leading edge. Finish up with sand paper.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I've tried different tools, but I keep coming back to my trusty Barlow knife. The short blade makes a good stiff scraper and the curved part of the blade gives added control to protect the instrument as the binding gets level with the wood. Just scrape the binding - don't try to cut it. This may be the slowest approach, but it seems to be the safest for the instrument and the fingers.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Scraping goes pretty fast. My favorite scraper for this is what we used at Dobro in the 70s. They were made from broken files- about a 3" long piece, the last 1/2 inch ground and polished. The bevel is not quite square, about a 30 degree undercut, and the rest is wrapped in tape for grip and comfort. Obviously there's no flex or chatter because of the heft of the tool. Drawn toward you, your thumbnail is the depth gauge.
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California