Thread: Complete Mandolinist and other books?

Default Complete Mandolinist and other books?

Hi Folks, I posted this elsewhere but think I put it in the wrong place, so I am re-posting it here.

Does anyone know anything about the Complete Mandolinist by Marilynn Mair? Is this a good book and is it suitable for beginners?

I have also found Theory and Improvisation for the Modern Mandolinist, Volume 1 by Morris.

I do not know if any of these books are suitable for a beginner like me. I am interested in not only learning to play (doing mandolessons) but also theory.

2. The following members say thank you to DocT for this post:

Default Re: Complete Mandolinist and other books?

https://www.marilynnmair.com/books/2...e-mandolinist/

"foundation in basic technique and music reading,"

This is a fine book for a mandolin beginning student! Of course it covers a lot of material, but if you do want to learn to play and to learn theory, it's a good choice.

I am not familiar with "Theory and Improvisation for the Modern Mandolinist, Volume 1 by Morris."

https://www.melbay.com/Products/3061...-volume-1.aspx

I looked at the contents, and the subject matter seems good, but geared toward the more Bluegrass mandolin player. Still, scales are scales, chords are chords, no matter what music you play.

The Mair book covers a wider variety of styles, so perhaps your choice could be based on your preference in music.

https://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Dumm.../dp/1119942764

You had mentioned this in the other post if I recall - this is another good book to begin with, as the "dummies" series is anything but.
    Last edited by DavidKOS; Dec-11-2018 at 8:26am.

The Mair is a great book for learning technique. If you read music and want to improve you playing I suggest you get a copy. I find that if I spend a few weeks working on exercises in it my playing improves no matter what the genre I happen to be involved in at the time.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

5. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Here's another endorsement for the Mair book. It's well planned out and delivers a solid grounding in both right- and left-hand techniques. The information in it will transfer to any type of music you want to play.

7. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Thanks! My music reading is not all that good. I am looking to improve that situation.

Hey there, I wrote the book "Theory and Improvisation for the Modern Mandolinist", and it is definitely geared more toward players who already have a firm grasp of the basics of playing the mandolin. The purpose of the book is to teach you basic theory (learning the fretboard and improvising over different types of music), with Volume 2 focusing on more advanced theory and jazz. Playing technique is not really covered. Hope that helps!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tommynorris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tommynorris View Post
    Hey there, I wrote the book "Theory and Improvisation for the Modern Mandolinist", and it is definitely geared more toward players who already have a firm grasp of the basics of playing the mandolin. The purpose of the book is to teach you basic theory (learning the fretboard and improvising over different types of music), with Volume 2 focusing on more advanced theory and jazz. Playing technique is not really covered. Hope that helps!
    I have your volume 1 and am hoping Santa will bring me volume 2, if not I will be buying it after Christmas. I have Marilynn Mair's book, it is excellent, as is her book of exercises. I also recommend Mandolin for Dummies. There is a lot of good information out there.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

There are no books I wouldn’t recommend for mandolin. There are some terrible guitar and bass books. But the mandolin has a very high consistency in quality. I’m currently writing one for the solid body mandolin and I’m awed by the quality of work onbthe mandolin in general.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    I do not know if any of these books are suitable for a beginner like me. I am interested in not only learning to play (doing mandolessons) but also theory.
    The books you ask about are suitable for beginners, but not necessarily for beginners like you.

I tend to complete “incomplete” methods and cannot seem to complete “complete” methods. This tendency is so strong in me that I suspect that complete methods are a poor choice for everyone. But, of course, I’m wrong about that.

I think people who complete complete methods tend to either be highly disciplined or have someone holding them accountable.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    I tend to complete “incomplete” methods and cannot seem to complete “complete” methods. This tendency is so strong in me that I suspect that complete methods are a poor choice for everyone. But, of course, I’m wrong about that.
    Jon, "complete" books aren't always made to be eaten at one time. For example, the exercises in Mair's book in Ab major/F minor—four flats—may not be something you want to spend time on right away. Find a piece you want to play in either of those keys, though, and working through the exercises is suddenly a great idea. A book like her's can be useful for as long as you continue to play.

I have the Morris book and it’s packed with a ton of info/theory, but, as the author states above, not much in the way of technique/method. Even if you don’t work through it completely, it puts down a good foundation, and I find myself still using it as a reference pretty frequently. I don’t have experience with the Mair book to date...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I have your volume 1 and am hoping Santa will bring me volume 2, if not I will be buying it after Christmas. I have Marilynn Mair's book, it is excellent, as is her book of exercises. I also recommend Mandolin for Dummies. There is a lot of good information out there.
    Thanks! Hope you enjoy Book 2.