Thread: Nicola mandolin and mandola string review

Default Nicola mandolin and mandola string review

I’ve had the pleasure of being introduced to a new product. Nicola Strings sent me two sets of their strings to try out. They sent me a medium gauge mandolin and Mandola set. On the Mandola that I use for this trial, a new Vessel, the Nicola strings were immediately an improvement. There was a better balance in tone quality throughout the four courses. There was no volume loss, and the feeling under the fingers was a little softer. The tone is beautiful, big and full.
    The mandolin was a little different. At first they were not better than what I’d been using. Out of the package they were uneven in tonal balance. Some of that may have had to do with a very new mandolin setup that hadn’t been completely dialed in. After an hour or so they came to life. The balance and beauty of tone came, similar to the mandola strings. I’ve had the strings on for over two weeks now. The mandola has had little playing and still they sound like day 1. The mandolin has had its final setup tweaked and several hours of rehearsals and gigging. They are still great sounding strings.
    The quality of the product was apparent when I opened them. The loops are a little smaller than the other companies but I prefer that.
    Go to their website, they offer a good selection at very competitive prices. I’ll try these strings again, and might be my go to string from here on out. If I were to make a comparison I’d say that they are somewhere in between D’Addario and GHS. I plan to use the mandolin set until they are dead to get an idea of how they hold up. I hope some of you will try these strings and add your comments here too.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to testore For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nicola mandolin and mandola string review

Thanks, Gary. It is nice to know about yet another string maker. They say they are handmade but the two gauged sets are both PB wound on hex core. Aside from the handmade aspect, what makes them different from anything else out there? Also, you say that the mandola set was an improvement but what was on your mandola to begin with?

Here are the reasons they say to buy theor string
    The Five Reasons to Try Nicola Brand Strings
    Hand Made-Hand Wound
    Wrap-to-Core Coupling
    100% U.S.A. Grade Wire
    Premium Grade Rounded Hex-Core U.S.A. Steel
    2,400 Speed Spun Twisted Loc Ball Ends
    What is "Wrap-to-Core Coupling"? What are 2,400 Speed Spun Twisted Loc Ball Ends"? 2400 speed (is that RPM?) and how do you do that by hand?

Here is their website: Nicola Strings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 8.08.12 PM.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	173346
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Jim, I omitted naming the strings that I compared the Nicola strings to on purpose. I didn’t want to sound as if I was making a negative statement about them. But since you asked, they were D’Addario medium gauge. D’Addario is obviously the benchmark, and anything new on the market must be comparable to compete. D’Addario are great strings, no doubt. Nicola are not less in quality in any regard. The Nicola strings worked better on the mandola I used from a tonal quality standpoint.
    As far as the details, I’m not the guy to ask. Hopefully someone from Nicola can answer these questions.

Hello Jim, thanks for your interest in Nicola Brand Strings,
    Nicola’s manufacturing process is proprietary, and therefore, we can’t get into detail regarding our manufacturing process. However, this may answer some of your questions.

The differentiator between string companies is the type of material they use, the way the strings are constructed and the machines used to produce a final product. Not all strings are the same for this reason. Each manufacturer has their own recipe when manufacturing a string. There is the core to wrap configuration, a maintained pitch angle in which the wrap is applied, the speed at which the wrap spins, and the machinists long term expertise in manufacturing the string.

For Nicola strings, we have a long term relationship with our raw materials supplier that spans over 40 years. Although technology has changed, USA alloy materials have become better and more reliable. That is the first step. The second is the hands-on approach to string making.

We do not have automated machines. Every string that comes off production is made by a machinist one by one. That machinist controls and maintains consistency and is the first inspection out of many to insure the end user gets a perfect product. Nicola handmade strings are just that. The machine plays 10% participation, while the remaining 90% is the operators decision making as far as the feel, the pitch, as well as the sound of the motors tone while the string is being produced.

Core to wrap coupling (the way the wrap is applied to the core ) is a huge factor. You cannot just spin a wrap wire on a core and hope it sounds good. The way the wrap is applied to the core is critical to the strings sustain, projection and tone longevity. Our one off custom ball end machines insure the right twist-loc around the ball is applied. Without this, a string can either come off at the ball or slip which causes tuning problems. Each string is inspected another two times, then hand coiled and placed into its envelope. Besides a machine that is spinning the core wire round and round, everything else Nicola does in its manufacturing process is by hand. Hope this helps and we would love to have you try our strings. Thank You! Chris Sfarzo Sales Manager/Artist Relations

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicolastrings For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much, Chris, for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate it.

So, is this a 40 year old company? I don’t recall ever hearing of you at least under this name. I am very interested in your strings however I am currently using nickel alloy strings on guitars and mandolins. Any plans to add Monel or equivalent to your line? My current choice is D’Addario NB.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I can tell you the folks at Nicola strings are very friendly and are dedicated to making fine strings. I had the pleasure of meeting Chris at the CMSA convention and have just tried a set of their strings - lovely tone and feel!

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Jim, my cousin Greg Sfarzo who makes our strings has been making his brand of strings for more than 35 years under the name of Sfarzo Strings which he still makes. My father and I who now run Nicola got into the business going on 5 years now so Nicola technically is a new company but its just because of the name and us running the business separately from Greg. We don't have Monel Strings right now but who knows what will happen in the future. If you want to try some strings just visit our site and enter the special promo code nicolapromo1 at checkout which will give you a special 35% discount to try some sets.

12. The following members say thank you to Nicolastrings for this post: