Thread: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Default 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

As a 73-year-old steel guitar and guitar picker, I am by no means a new-be about instruments but I have never been very good at picking a mandolin. It causes terrible problems with my dyslexia; sucker is tuned upside down.

I bought the KM1000V here some years back. It is beautiful, sounds great to my ears but I am by no means a mandolin expert. I pull it out about once a year, Pick on it a week or so and then it is back in the case and into the closet. Seems like a waste.

If...if I choose to sell it, am I letting go of a good thing? I know it is made in China and all but for the $1300 or so I have into it would I be able to replace it at a later date without getting too spendy? It's a quality looking instrument and they are pretty rare. I love mandolin music but I have never been able to achieve any sort of tremolo and the thing is tuned in 5ths which drives me crazy.

This is an honest question and is in no way a solicitation to sell. If and when I decide to let it go, I'll put it up here and pay the commission. I've done that before.

Thanks all...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandoD - Copy.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	556.6 KB 
ID:	173309

Default Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

FWIW, my thoughts are: That’s a beautiful mandolin, and if it sounds as nice as it looks you got a great deal for $1,300. You might be hard pressed to do as well should you sell it and later decide to replace it. Also, in time you may find you have more of an affinity for the mandolin. A few lessons from a good teacher can help. It’s understandable that the mandolin tuning seems foreign to folks with a guitar background, but many people find that the fifths tuning is one of the things that makes the mandolin a treat to play in all keys. Unlike guitar, with fourths tuning except that pesky third between the G and B strings, the mandolin patterns are the same all over the neck across all the strings. Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.
    Last edited by Andy B; Dec-10-2018 at 10:19pm.

3. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post:

I agree with Andy's reply. This is a really nice mando. I have a beloved KM-1000 that I gig with, and I am not parting with it. It has shown over and over again that it is a capable instrument. Of course, the 5ths tuning comes more naturally to me since I come from fiddle, which is my main instrument. I wouldn't get rid of it unless you have no other choice. You would be hard-pressed to get another mandolin of this quality at anything near the price you have into it. Some of these Kentucky models give mandolins costing $2-4k a run for the money!

5. The following members say thank you to illinoisfiddler for this post:

Blog Entries

A varnished Kentucky KM1000 is a pro level instrument and worth holding on to. That said, if you have an interest in upgrading to something made in the USA, you will have no problem selling. Thanks for posting!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

7. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

The mandolin is tuned right, it's those others that are upside down!!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    The mandolin is tuned right, it's those others that are upside down!!!
    Absolutely! I agree Mandoplumb. Sure beats that half step at the fourth fret on the B guitar string... (said by a guitar lover).

The mandolin gives me a lot more sanity with the fifths pattern! LOL

Just for fun:
    http://www.fretjam.com/fret-intervals.html
    Last edited by lflngpicker; Dec-11-2018 at 4:55pm. Reason: adding link
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

11. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

As a 73 year old guitar picker (or anything else for that matter), trying to learn to play mandolin will be like trying to learn a new language. That window of opportunity may have already closed. At your age, you will know yourself much better than any of us ever will. For many of us guitar starters, the mandolin chose us, not vice versa. I'm 67 and came up in the mid to late 60's musically, taking up guitar first (didn't everybody?). By the later 60's I was being influenced by the sounds of folk rock, Brit Invasion and the Folk scene, etc. Somewhere in the cacophony was the sound of mandolins which immediately drew my interest because you didn't hear it much, unlike guitars.

You said "it seems like a waste" to which I reply "yes, today but what about tomorrow?". Look into what motivates you to play mandolin that week or so every year. Might be some insights there. What happens if you put the guitars away for the 51 or so weeks a year and just play mandolin? You may overcome the language barrier. Only you can answer those questions.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Dec-11-2018 at 6:10pm.

13. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

I picked up a mandolin at age 66 two years ago. Firstly, divorce yourself from any comparisons between instruments. It is not an upside down anything. No good can come of it. Secondly, you won't get anywhere without makeing a commitment in time and effort. If you are a flat picker already, you are worlds ahead. I have found the preciseness needed for mandolin has made me a better guitarist too. You need to play some scales to start to understand the fretboard, but work on some fiddle tunes too. Watch some YouTube videos as the left hand approach to strings is different.

But above all, don't try to relate it to guitar.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

15. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I'd hang onto it unless you need the money otherwise. Import prices are only rising, and Eastman 315s, which are much lower on the "appointments" scale, are retailing new around $700 now. You're unlikely to find another mandolin that nice at that price if you decide to get back into it later, especially not new. Of course, you can get a less expensive instrument, but with your experience otherwise you probably won't be satisfied with a lesser instrument. That's been my experience, anyway. I actually like my 315, but I haven't played it since I bought my Skip Kelley a few months ago...will probably be loaning the 315 to a youngster at church after I tweak the set-up on it...
    Chuck

17. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Thanks all.

Yesterday, I joined Banjo Ben. There are a lot of video lessons there. Mandolin is a great size for sitting on the couch and picking. I'm 73 but I am a young 73. Still ride my Harleys, still exercise and walk the dog and keep pretty fit all in all.

Oh yeah, I'm left handed playing righty and in high school they timed my 100 yard "dash" with a sundial. If I have any fast-twitch muscle, it is hiding somewhere... smiles...