Thread: First post - hiya

Smile First post - hiya

Hello,

First post here! I've been lurking for a few months and have learned quite a bit. Initially, I was browsing other string forums looking for a good travel or parlor guitar solution to take on work trips and someone suggested (to another poster) to just get a mandolin and learn something new, which I thought was a pretty good idea. So I picked up a cheap Rogue at GC and started going through MandoLessons, as well as the chord charts here to get the basics down, but quickly realized that I wanted formal lessons and found a local teacher (who has been great for motivation!). Really loving learning something new and getting back to understanding standard notation and basic theory.

Over the weekend I found a Kentucky KM-505 in good condition for a great price and just spent the morning restringing and setting it up. Thanks for all of your knowledge - the vast threads on used equipment helped me inspect the 505 to the best of my ability and I felt I walked away with a great bargain and a straight and playable instrument.

Jed Kornbluh

Default Re: First post - hiya

Welcome aboard, Jed. This is a great online community. People are always willing to help, and will have you thoroughly confused in no time.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

3. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

JPS 

Just remember, on your 250th post or thereabouts you will have an overpowering urge to post something like this: I just happened to be in a local store and I played on a Collings MF, which was really wonderful, but my Eastman is fine so I don't really need it. Please tell me not to buy it. It does have a small abrasion on the back, so they offered me a nice discount. I can't really afford it though, but man, I sure do see what you all are talking about, the tone, it's got me playing in my dreams. Oh, but I can't play well enough to deserve such a fine instrument. I just play for myself in my living room. How good do I need to be before I can buy one? Would a Weber be better? I saw a used one on Craigslist only five hours drive from me.

Don't do it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Hi, Jed. Welcome!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Just remember, on your 250th post or thereabouts you will have an overpowering urge to post something like this: I just happened to be in a local store and I played on a Collings MF, which was really wonderful, but my Eastman is fine so I don't really need it. Please tell me not to buy it. It does have a small abrasion on the back, so they offered me a nice discount. I can't really afford it though, but man, I sure do see what you all are talking about, the tone, it's got me playing in my dreams. Oh, but I can't play well enough to deserve such a fine instrument. I just play for myself in my living room. How good do I need to be before I can buy one? Would a Weber be better? I saw a used one on Craigslist only five hours drive from me.

Don't do it.
    Sooo...buy it first, and then post?

Don't do it.
    There are worse ways to spend my money, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice!

welcome to the cafe and the mandolin! And yes, we'll be more than happy to spend your money for you!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

9. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Welcome. There are several of us on here that are new. The people have been great, here.

Blog Entries

Glad to have you, Jed! This is the best of all online musician forums. Wonderful people, filled with knowledge, and they are willing to share. Enjoy your 505!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I didn't mean don't buy the mandolin, I meant don't expect us to tell you don't.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I didn't mean don't buy the mandolin, I meant don't expect us to tell you don't.
    Yes - we are all shameless enablers of mandolin purchases!

Welcome to the MC and great move on your quick upgrade. Make sure and have your gear guy or gal set it up the way you prefer.
    Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    Welcome to the MC and great move on your quick upgrade. Make sure and have your gear guy or gal set it up the way you prefer.
    Blessings
    Thanks! Yep - it's already sitting at the local luthier, a fellow my father-in-law has been going to for his well-aged instruments for decades. Neck has some bow to correct, a few frets need work, but it's in otherwise good shape.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

(to the theme song from the Beverly Hillbillies)
    Come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed,
    Bought so many mandos barely kept his family fed,
    Then one day found the Mandolin Café,
    Saved a ton of money buying stuff in the Classified Ads,
    Gibsons and such...wooden gold...
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas