Thread: Left hand fingering display in TablEdit

Default Left hand fingering display in TablEdit

Hi, not sure about where I should be posting this. Anyway, I am a TablEdit user and need some help. It's about displaying left hand fingering above the tabulature. The manual says the fingering can be displayed as the finger number (1,2,3 or 4) inside a circle. I can not make this happen. I am able to display the fingering in the notation stave, but I usually only show the tabulature to save space and get most tunes on one page. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.
    ....Rickker
    1969 Gibson F5

Default Re: Left hand fingering display in TablEdit

Took a quick look Rickker. I could make it work per attached Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fingerings.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	173311.
    Maybe that helps.
    benny

It works just fine for me! In TableEdit, first place your cursor ON THE NOTE that you wish to annotate. Then, go to the Tools palette (if it's not already displayed onscreen, click on View/Palettes/Tools). Now, click on the hand icon in the tools palette. That will bring up this dialog box:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dialogbox 1.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	173314

This gives you many options to show the fingering. I usually select "above tablature" and a number for l-h fingering. You can also use Spanish notation (I,M,A,O) for r-h fingering. You can have the fingering displayed in the notation, as well as the tab.

Here's an example of some tab with left-hand fingering indicated above the tab:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fingering 1.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	173315

Simple!

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I have been trying to do, but I have followed the same procedure that you described, but nothing happens when I click on "Apply". I am now wondering if there is not enough space between the notation and tabulature staves. Some time ago, I reduced this to get more measures on the printed page. Anyway, thanks for your replies and I will keep working on it.
    .....Rickker

Got it!! I have a habit of messing around with settings when I shouldn't be. Here's what the problem was: For some reason, I had checked "Ad-Tab for Left Hand Fingerings" in the Advanced tab of the Options menu. When I unchecked this, voila! the fingering is now displayed within little circles, just as bennyb and sblock have described. BTW, (and I realize that this is off-topic) how did you paste the dialog boxes and other material into your postings above? There is so much to learn....sigh...
    ....Rickker

6. The following members say thank you to Rickker for this post:

bennyb 

Glad you found the source of your trouble! TablEdit has many, often confusing, options. That makes it powerful, but it can also be fragile, as you've discovered, if you change certain defaults to something else.

The images I used were just screen shots, saved out as png files. I did not use any special software.