Thread: Andrew Marlin, Billy Strings latest albums - not on CD?

Default Andrew Marlin, Billy Strings latest albums - not on CD?

Is this the beginning of the end of audio CDs? Last month I saw a YouTube video with one of the songs from Billy Strings "Turmoil & Tinfoil" album, but when I went to Amazon to buy a CD, I could only purchase MP3's or stream with Amazon Prime. This week I saw the positive reviews of Marlin's new album and it too appears to be unavailable in CD format, but only available through MP3 purchase or streaming sites.

I still value my CDs for their portability, relative permanence, as well as for the art work and album info, but I guess I can see, especially in relatively low-volume niche markets, that CDs would lose out to direct downloads and streaming. I do like the idea of immediate downloads (and I've used this option with Amazon Prime, to listen to music immediately while my CD is being shipped to me), but I'll miss CD's!.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Default Re: Andrew Marlin, Billy Strings latest albums - not on CD?

I believe you are correct, portable medai is dying in favor of live and offline transfer.

Netflix declared this from day one, even though they began as a DVD rental house.

I would say burn your own CD's, but then you need a CD player to use them.

I think most people download to their phones, since they are perfectly adequate media players.

I have plugged a cell phone into a PA with a playlist for parties, worked fine.

My laptop is my new stereo (I am a luddite, for most it is their cell phone), but I have really nice speakers for the laptop, same jack would work with the phone though.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

You can buy the CD directly from his website:

https://www.andrewmarlin.com/store/a...d-in-a-cape-cd

I'd guess that's probably true for the Billy Strings CD, too.

4. The following members say thank you to Miltown for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    but I'll miss CD's!.
    I get on fine w/o CD for 20 years now. As long as music is offered in a lossless format for archiving I'm good.

Thanks, Miltown! It won't be as quick and easy as ordering with Amazon Prime, but I'm glad I still can get a CD!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I just looked at Billy Strings' site and sure enough I can order a CD that way.
    Doug Brock