Thread: Alvarez A800

Default Alvarez A800

https://reverb.com/item/16099421-197...e#policies-tab
    I think this a beautiful mandolin and I love the inlays on the neck and head. However from what I’ve researched $750 is a bit much isn’t it? But that’s based largely on what people on here have said in past threads. On the other hand the only other vintage Alvarez I’ve seen recently was going for 600 so maybe it isn’t that over priced.

Let me know what you think; worth it or nah?

Default Re: Alvarez A800

I had one in perfect condition that I sold for $600. This was pretty much the top price I expected to get. Mine was an early to mid 70's instrument. I sold it and bought a Kentucky 956, which is an excellent bluegrass mandolin but it is an A model.

3. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

I'd not spend that much money on an Alvarez. The first mandolin I ever played was an Alvarez, and they can be nice, but there are better options IMO. For the same money you have a lot of options with Kentucky, Eastman, and even Big Muddy.

5. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I'd not spend that much money on an Alvarez. The first mandolin I ever played was an Alvarez, and they can be nice, but there are better options IMO. For the same money you have a lot of options with Kentucky, Eastman, and even Big Muddy.
    I agree with all of this. Good advice.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

7. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

I love mine but, I’d not go that high any more. Lots of options that were not available 40+ years ago
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

9. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Those MIJ axes can be sleepers, but at that point you are close to a new Eastman 515 with a lifetime warranty.

It was a no brainer for me. I was looking at vintage MIJ axes and grooving on what the options were. I expanded my vision and ended up with a new 515 from TMS for nicely under a grand on sale. I'll never have to worry about a popped brace, bad tuners, etc. long as I own the axe. Either warranty or typical MTBF will cover it. That same confidence is missing in a vintage purchase and unless its for a collection and not being played, why worry?
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

11. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I know I could certainly get a better mando for the money, but like I said I really like the inlay on this one. But not enough to over pay by a couple hundred bucks.

I thought guitars were “Axes”
    Mandolins more like “Hatchets”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

14. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandos&turtles View Post
    https://reverb.com/item/16099421-197...e#policies-tab
    I think this a beautiful mandolin and I love the inlays on the neck and head. However from what I’ve researched $750 is a bit much isn’t it? But that’s based largely on what people on here have said in past threads. On the other hand the only other vintage Alvarez I’ve seen recently was going for 600 so maybe it isn’t that over priced.

Let me know what you think; worth it or nah?
    There are 26 people watching that, if it's the same one I'm seeing. That is an unusual number of watchers for any mandolin at Reverb. 10-12 is an awful lot. 5 or 6 is normal for a decent buy. I don't understand 26 people watching one of these at all? They just put it on a 15% off sale. NFI
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandos&turtles View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I know I could certainly get a better mando for the money, but like I said I really like the inlay on this one. But not enough to over pay by a couple hundred bucks.
    I'm a sucker for block inlays myself. You might check out Kentucky 805 or even better the Eastman 615 now comes with inlays.

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but can anyone tell me what the size of the truss rod nut is on 1970s Alavarez models. I'm trying to rescue an A900 with badly stripped threads on the truss rod. The non-original nut that was on it was an M4.7 (7mm wrench) but I think it was responsible for the damage. I have exposed new threads with a "truss rod rescue" tool from StewMac but I'd like to know the original nut size before I risk the new threads with a trial & error process.

Thanks!
    John
    1963 Martin 0-18T, 1967 Gibson ETG-150, 1930s Epiphone Beverly Tenor Guitar, 2013 Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar, 1960s Goya Tenor Guitar, 1980 Alvarez A900 mandolin, 2020 Kentucky KM-656, Flatiron Mandola, Weber Sage #2 OM

The Stew Mac truss rod rescue tool comes with a 10-32 thread cutting die. Why not just re-cut the threads on the truss rod? Or purchase a cheap thread gauge like this one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Deal%E3%80%91...71H8GP18&psc=1. Good luck, I hope you're able to fix it.

Adam