Thread: Question about the DPA 4099

Default Question about the DPA 4099

I just bought my new mandolin, The Loar 420 f style, and I'm looking for a pickup or clip on mic for performibg live. I want something that will sound good, not internal (!!) so I won't have to drill a hole on my instrument.. And something that will be easy to take off and get back on.

I thought about the LR baggs Radius, but I saw here on the café many bad reviews on this one. I heard good things about the DPA 4099, but will it be good for live situations, Due to the fact it's a condenser mic? Again, I'm not looking for recording solution but a performing one.

And another question - Is the DPA 4099 a clip + mic, or just the clip (with the mic selled seperately)

Thanks!

EDIT:
    If the DPA is not a good solution for my needs - the LR baggs will satisfy me?
    Most of my gigs will be mandolin (me), acoustic guitar, cajon and sometimes sax. (No drums or electric guitar involved)

Default Re: Question about the DPA 4099

If your gigs aren't on a stage with loud monitors (it sounds like they aren't), then the DPA 4099 should work fine. Just make sure that the PA system you're using can feed it phantom power. It's sold together with the clip, and the version you want is the violin model that will also fit a mandolin.

I think most of us who use the 4099 and similar clip-on mics aim it at the bottom of the treble-side F-hole. That's how I use mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPA4099 01.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	173129

Are you actually planning to buy a mic that costs more than your mando? dpa is a sweet mic, the M version comes with the clip.
    Cheaper alternative for a clip mic is available from audio technica AT35 $150
    Take the $savings and start a mandolin fund for the future
    Happy pickin
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

4. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

The 4099 ain't cheap, but it's still a good investment for the future. It'll work just as well on a better mandolin later on. Or if your taste in instrument changes, get a clip that works on guitar, octave mandolin, or just about any other acoustic instrument.

The AT Pro35 is a decent option for less money, but the mounting is more tricky. Some folks have adapted the DPA violin mount for the AT mic, so that's another option.

I've used a DPA4099 on both fiddle and mandolin for the past 8 years with no issues. Yes, it's pricey, but the quality of the gear is top notch. I've had little to no feedback issues. I typically play with either personal amp as amp/monitor/DI into a small PA or Bose Tower with little to no monitor. On a bigger stage with full monitors, I just work the placement and my path on stage to minimize any potential for feedback.

Thanks for all the comments!

As some have said - Investing in DPA now (even though its more expensive than my mando) is indeed a good investment for the future.
    I thought about the AT 35 also, but couln't figure out how to attach it to the instrument with its clip machine.. I guess the best way to do so is to clip it on a tone guard, but I don't have one.

As for now the DPA really seems to be the best match for me.
    Mark - you said you had no feedback issues on stage. Do you always perform live with the DPA? I shouldn't worry too much about it? Because this is the main aspect that prevent me from buying it already.

Here's a photo of my Pro35 clipped to the DPA mount. It's secure enough and simple to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mic mount 002.JPG 
Views:	429 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	173140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mic mount 003.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	173141  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

9. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Blog Entries

I use both DPA 4099's and the ATM 350.... they are both excellent, excellent microphones. The (much cheaper) AT PRO35 does a darn good job too.... You can indeed attach an AT mic in a DPA holder... if you have a finger-guard, you can also attach like this...

Name:	ATM350_ellis.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	173147

ATM 350 in DPA clip:

Name:	DPA_ATM_1.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	173148

Name:	DPA_ATM_2.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	173149

Name:	DPA_ATM_3.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	173150

As to whether the DPA 4099 is "better" than the ATM350, there is (in my view) almost nothing in it one way or the other. They both sound superb, they are both beautifully engineered, and it really comes down to personal preferences. I am perfectly satisfied with both of them.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Here's a photo of my Pro35 clipped to the DPA mount. It's secure enough and simple to use.
    Can't see the photo

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I use both DPA 4099's and the ATM 350.... they are both excellent, excellent microphones. The (much cheaper) AT PRO35 does a darn good job too.... You can indeed attach an AT mic in a DPA holder... if you have a finger-guard, you can also attach like this...

Name:	ATM350_ellis.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	173147

ATM 350 in DPA clip:

Views:	239 
ID:	173148

Name:	DPA_ATM_2.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	173149

Name:	DPA_ATM_3.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	173150

As to whether the DPA 4099 is "better" than the ATM350, there is (in my view) almost nothing in it one way or the other. They both sound superb, they are both beautifully engineered, and it really comes down to personal preferences. I am perfectly satisfied with both of them.
    So buying only the clip of DPA 4099 and the pro35 should be good enough for live?
    And is it easy to attach the both of them together?

Where do you guys recommend buying from? Since I don't have any shop dealing with mandolin things in my country.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DinEzra View Post
    Can't see the photo

So buying only the clip of DPA 4099 and the pro35 should be good enough for live?
    And is it easy to attach the both of them together?

Where do you guys recommend buying from? Since I don't have any shop dealing with mandolin things in my country.
    The Pro35 is 'good enough' for most live situations, easily. If you demand the ultimate in performance then the DPA 4099 or the ATM 350 might be worth it (though you will have to be using a very good sound system to hear any real difference). Any professional audio supplier or online retailer should have all three available.

I would certainly avoid the Baggs transducer... simply no comparison to the any of the microphones above.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Ok great! So I guess I'll go with the pro 35.

How is it attached to the DPA clip? can anyone take a picture please?

I'll post again, hope you can see the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mic mount 003.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	173171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mic mount 002.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	173172  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    I'll post again, hope you can see the pictures.
    Unfortunately not (((
    It is written "attached thumbnails" but I can't click on it.

Mark - you said you had no feedback issues on stage. Do you always perform live with the DPA? I shouldn't worry too much about it? Because this is the main aspect that prevent me from buying it already.
    Yes, both on fiddle and mandolin, that is my primary use microphone. I always carry an SM57B for backup, but I haven't used it except when I only had one phantom powered adapter available and used the 57 for the other instrument. That's not to say you can just not worry about it, be aware of the sound situation and learn where the possibilities for feedback exist. With that in mind, it has been worry free for me.

Blog Entries

Ok great! So I guess I'll go with the pro 35.

How is it attached to the DPA clip? can anyone take a picture please?
    Already posted... here it is again....

Views:	212 
ID:	173216

Wire tie....

All mics can feed back... good monitor position, reasonable stage volumes and other techniques and equipment such as suitable EQ and anti-feedback suppressors all help to reduce the problem. I use the DPA and ATM350 live with no issues at all even in quite difficult venues.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Ok great! Thank you all very much for the big help!

Hi,

nobody mentioned the John Bartlett mandolin mic here. I use it since three years now and like it even better then the DPA 4099 ( I sold it recently) and the ATM 350 (still in my mic locker). Here is a link to the company's website: https://www.bartlettaudio.com/products/mandolin-mic.
    Right now I have no pics or sound files because I gave it to friend who wants to try it out.
    Reason why I prefer it over the DPA 4099 and ATM 350 who are both sonically very nice is mounting it to the mandolin: As said before the ATM mounting can be a bit tricky. The DPA clamp is perfect, but I tend to touch the mic with my right hand.
    The Bartlett mic is clamped to the f-hole with a clamp but no gooseneck.
    Another mic I recommend is the DPA 4061, mounted on the edge of the f-hole. Its omni pattern produces a nice open sound and enough gain before feedback - definitely not worse than DPA 4099, ATM 350 and Bartlett.
    Yesterday I posted a comparison here in the "equipment" category where you can see and listen to DPA 4061, ATM 350 and Countryman Isomax and as reference a Schoeps MK 4.

The one big problem I have with mics like the Bartlett (and similar ideas with lav mics) is that I really don't like the idea of clamping to the edge of the F-hole, for several reasons:

If for whatever reason you can't leave the mic clamped there full-time, and have to place it and remove it on each gig, then that's a lot of wear on the soundboard finish. I think I'd need it to be a semi-permanent setup, maybe with a shortened jack connector at the tailpiece to fit in the case.

I also have a horrible image in my mind of what would happen if you accidentally step on the cable and pull on the clip. I've actually done that a couple of times with my DPA4099 and pulled the mic off the mandolin (before I learned to not do that!). I know you could run a strain relief from the tailpiece, but it still makes me nervous seeing something clipped to the soundboard like that. I always avoided that kind of mic on guitar soundboards for similar reasons. Of course that objection disappears, or at least is minimized, if you're using a wireless bodypack. Especially if it's nestled in a ToneGard and not connected to your belt.

One final objection is that anything clamped to the soundboard will usually pick up more non-musical handling noise than something on a gooseneck like the 4099 or Pro 35. I haven't tried the Bartlett so it may be less prone to that, but contact noise is usually a drawback with that approach, compared to a gooseneck.

Hey again!
    Decided to reply to this post again rather than creating a new one.

So thanks to all of the replies, I decided to go with the DPA mount combined with the pro 35.
    2 new questions:
    1. Is the DPA clip is good for octave mandolins too?
    2. Will I need to buy a pre amp also to use this mic setup? Never used pre amps before, hope someone can explain to me a little bit.

Thank you all very much, appreciate it a lot!

Hey again!
    Decided to reply to this post again rather than creating a new one.

So thanks to all of the replies, I decided to go with the DPA mount combined with the pro 35.
    2 new questions:
    1. Is the DPA clip is good for octave mandolins too?
    2. Will I need to buy a pre amp also to use this mic setup? Never used pre amps before, hope someone can explain to me a little bit.

Thank you all very much, appreciate it a lot!
    You will probably need the DPA guitar mount for an octave mandolin. The one used for mandolins is actually the "violin" mount for shallower bodies. Unless you have an unusually thin OM it won't fit. I use the guitar mount for my OM and the DPA 499. Note: the guitar mount is actually a little too long for most OM's, but you can just snip off the extra length with a wire cutter.

Regarding preamps, yes, you need a microphone preamp to boost the signal, and also phantom power like any condenser mic. This can be provided with an "acoustic amp" with a 48v phantom XLR connection, or any normal PA mixer that provides phantom power.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    You will probably need the DPA guitar mount for an octave mandolin. The one used for mandolins is actually the "violin" mount for shallower bodies. Unless you have an unusually thin OM it won't fit. I use the guitar mount for my OM and the DPA 499. Note: the guitar mount is actually a little too long for most OM's, but you can just snip off the extra length with a wire cutter.

Regarding preamps, yes, you need a microphone preamp to boost the signal, and also phantom power like any condenser mic. This can be provided with an "acoustic amp" with a 48v phantom XLR connection, or any normal PA mixer that provides phantom power.
    Do you know of any good mount that is adjustable in a way that can fit a mandolin and also an octave?
    I really hope not to buy 2 individuals clip on mics for each instrument.

The octave I'm planning to get will be a custom one. Maybe I can build it on the same width of a mandolin? (not length - that of course will be longer than a mandolin)
    Do you think it's possible? Or an octave always must be thicker?

Thank you very much