Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collings Case Humidifier?

Default Re: Collings Case Humidifier?

prairieschooner, I don't think the last few replies were necessarily about you, as you said you travel. It was mostly generic for most who travel with an instrument. If I misunderstood sblocks post I apologize. I know you travel as we discussed where you live and that you travel in the winter, most don't and that is what I was posting about.

If you need a safer place for your Collings for the winter let me know, I would be glad to mandolin sit.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Sorry but that would be a no on the mandolin sitting!! Maybe some day we will be close enough to get together and pick

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Dare I mention the "WARNING: Humidipak" thread from two years ago? Easy to find with a google search......
    I know that thread. I'm not discounting the poster's experience. I still recommend humidipak's to anyone having any sort of humidification issues. I buy from the actual manufacturer Boveda on Amazon. I also recommend their saddle bags. They work fine. You have to be careful with them like you do with any humidifier. The nice thing about the humidipaks is that they work both ways. Too humid? They fix that. Not humid enough? They fix that. I have one guitar that is very needy. It doesn't just require humidification it demands it. It's a great product.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
    Sorry but that would be a no on the mandolin sitting!! Maybe some day we will be close enough to get together and pick
    More a humorous post than anything, love to get together and pick tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I have a Collings mandola and I use a 35mm film container to humidify inside the case. It fits just fine inside the case.
    Just make some holes in the film container top and cut a piece of sponge.
    Wet the sponge,put it in the container,snap the lid on and you have a humidifier. Works great for mandolins too.

8. The following members say thank you to Ancient for this post:

You must have the TKL Case. I had one for my MT & there was plenty of room for my Oasis Humidifier. Not so with the Collings case but if you look at post #13 you can see my solution. I am using the microfiber cloths as added insurance.
    Best

Just a Thought : basic humidifier: a damp sponge in a plastic Soap-dish for camping, with holes in it

Does not have to go in the case but it and mandolin in the case
    with the lid open a little ways , inside a plastic bag closed up, ought to be a way..
    to create its own little humid pocket.. mini climate zone
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Many violinists uses something like this. The technology is the same as the damp sponge in the soap dish:

https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bi...emno=ACVVSTRET

D’addario makes a similar product, that actually uses a small sponge. The key is not to oversoak the sponge.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thanks Mary, that looks like a good one.