Thread: Nugget A-5 (1982) at Cotten Music, Nashville

Default Nugget A-5 (1982) at Cotten Music, Nashville

NFI , i saw this while checking out a guitar a friend is considering purchase, and being of the bloodline, did the "mandatory mando inventory viewing". Rarely see a Nugget for sale. Thought some of you might be interested.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/cottenmu...49905238355310

2. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Default Re: Nugget A-5(1982) at Cotten Music , nashville

Photo appeared briefly but disappeared as I would have to sign on to Facebook but I'm not a Facebook member ! That's one problem I never entertained ! I did catch that it was $11000. !! I would rather pay Just under $3000. for a Girouard A and pocket the rest !

Default Re: Nugget A-5 (1982) at Cotten Music, Nashville

Can't recall what Tim O' paid for his Nugget A5 with the baseball-bat neck. IIRC it involved a ham and helping Nugget move into new digs.(It's who you know,right?)

$11K for a vintage Nugget A5 sounds about right when you consider the price of a Nugget F5.

Heck,I had a Nugget F5(#223) but could not afford to keep it.

Maybe Mr.Girouard's instruments will become crazy-expensive in time. Iwould sure like to play one sometime.

It is listed on the web site but the link goes to that same FB page which is a pain for those not on FB. I don't know if the web folk at Cotten realize that. They can put photos on the web site which might be better. It has been there for 7 months. I wish i could try it.

Nugget A-5 (1982, Exc+) OHSC $11,000
    [Mike Kemnitzer, Central Lake, MI, Serial #72] Flame Maple back and sides, old growth Fir top; sunburst finish; Ivoroid binding on the body and neck; no pickguard; some playing wear; terrific tone and volume; adjustable truss rod; pearl dot inlay in the Brazilian Rosewood flat fretboard; Brazilian Rosewood peghead overlay with "nugget" logo; nickel-plated Schaller tuning machines with pearl buttons; nickel tailpiece engraved with the old-style "nugget" logo and flourish in pearl; Brazilian Rosewood adjustable bridge; single owner since new. OHSC (Rectangular) Mike Kemnitzer told me some of his Winfield prize mandolins were made with fir tops. It's not a common top wood, but it's excellent, per Mike. Wonderful woody tone in this mandolin.
    Here are the photos for the non-FB users. Hey, maybe Cotten can give me a discount on the Nugget for posting these here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuggetA5_01.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	173072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuggetA5_02.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	173073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuggetA5_03.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	173074  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuggetA5_04.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	173075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuggetA5_05.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	173076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuggetA5_06.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	173077  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuggetA5_07.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	173078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuggetA5_08.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	173079  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Can't recall what Tim O' paid for his Nugget A5 with the baseball-bat neck. IIRC it involved a ham and helping Nugget move into new digs.(It's who you know,right?)

$11K for a vintage Nugget A5 sounds about right when you consider the price of a Nugget F5.

Heck,I had a Nugget F5(#223) but could not afford to keep it.

Maybe Mr.Girouard's instruments will become crazy-expensive in time. Iwould sure like to play one sometime.
    Order one from Max and you can play it anytime you want ! I did ( A oval) and liked it so much that I ordered a F4 oval !

Blog Entries

Is it me or does the top finish on that Nugget look very off compared to the back and sides? Looks more Red and just doesn't look the same/matchup?

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Order one from Max and you can play it anytime you want ! I did ( A oval) and liked it so much that I ordered a F4 oval !
    Did you ever get the Wienman? Curious how it stacks up to the other instruments you've mentioned.

I will private message you

11. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Luckily I found some change while cleaning the couch. Wait, still a little short.

I've played this one too. It is very woody, much woodier sounding than say a 2010's Nugget A.

My recollection says that the top color was more red, and the back and sides more yellow. Overall it is an attractive Nugget, with what I would say is a slightly atypical voicing because of the fir top.

If I was looking for a woody tone, it definitely plays like a Nugget!
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

Dave Berry

I happened to be there the day it came in. I asked to play it but it took so long for them to "find" it, I got bored and left. I did get to play an excellent Duff and Wienman that same day at Gruen's though both in the $8k range as I recall. George is so accommodating, it was a pleasure and honor to meet him and play his upper inventory.
    Dave
    Gilchrist A3 #03539, Kimble A5 #122, Gibson A4 #65987
    https://linktr.ee/davidalanberry