Thread: anyone play one of the torrefied top Collings A models lately?

Default anyone play one of the torrefied top Collings A models lately?

I have one in my sights, been watching it for around 2 months, can't believe its still there.
    I absolutely do not need this, should not buy it because I have other things I need to concentrate on with my $, but.................its still there, and it checks all the boxes for exactly what I like. And, it sounds exceptional. And, it looks exceptional.

Man, I've worked really hard the past 2+ years, and I don't buy many things at all to please myself. This could be the "lifer". Its not that expensive really, a base MT with torrefied gloss top, subtle binding on top.

Sounds exceptional. And I love the Collings I've had in the past. And, I only have one mandolin now(really don't need another, but again).

Anyone out there play one recently or own one(A style with torrefied Sitka top), thoughts on yours?

thank you
    d

Default Re: anyone play one of the torrefied top Collings A models lately

I played one recently at Gryphon, it was pretty impressive. It had a fully, developed sound. Powerful, warm and woody. The sound was different, but not in a bad way, just not the typical MT great sound, a little different great sound, if that makes sense. Maybe somewhat Sitka vs Engelmann.

I think there is one at Gryphon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    I played one recently at Gryphon, it was pretty impressive. It had a fully, developed sound. Powerful, warm and woody. The sound was different, but not in a bad way, just not the typical MT great sound, a little different great sound, if that makes sense. Maybe somewhat Sitka vs Engelmann.

thanks for the feedback, and what you said is what I hear and what I've been told by a few friends who have played one. they tell me its sweet, powerful, clear, and woody all at the same time.
    the folks at musicemporium told me each one of the torrefied MT's they get will turn heads when played. the torrefied effect seems to work best on the Sitka and collings has been moving on those.

I have the first torrified MT that TME received. Dry and woody sounding. torrified adi is a bit more lively, and loud.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I don't know where that name came from but from a promotional standpoint it is a little too close to "horrified".

Barring that, i would love to try one or more and a guitar, too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My phone auto corrects and inserts "terrified".

7. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I've got a MT2 with the torrified top. Wasn't sure about it at first, it seemed too bright, but the top keeps getting more responsive. Had it almost 6 months and it keeps getting better. Think I'll probably keep it. Got another mando in a trade that is woodier and it keeps getting my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post

This sums up my feelings. Different kind of wonderful. But I thought the Northfield A Special was better. Give me any of them and I'd be happy.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1