Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandocello K-style build

Default Mandocello K-style build

For a very long time I have been wanting to build a Mandocello, and I wanted to make a Florentine Style one but with apertures instead of K-4 with soundhole style.

Over the years I've gathered information as for original dimentions of the K4 and research pro and cons. I have to be honest.. I've read a lot of treads right here on Mandolin Café (if not all). I then started on my first drawings draft and re-tweeked them quite a few times whenever changing my mind about, for exemple, scale length..

My build is well underway, At this point in time I have the rim all glued up and i'm almost done carving the Torrefied Sitka Spruce top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1759.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	414.4 KB 
ID:	173059

I though a lot of you might be interested in following this journey and I will update on here as well as on my YT channel the build journey. hope this will be interesting to you all.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YC8NYCNPNDb-xJ
    Last edited by Hovington Instruments; Nov-30-2018 at 8:08pm.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandocello K-style build

Very KOOL man! The world needs more of the mandolin orchestra instruments! Sitka top? You're not going traditional woods? What are you going to use for the body, maple, birch, I'm very interested as there is no one building these in the traditional look well maybe Gilchrist? Oh just seen you have a youtube link! NICE!

"I can't get the you tube link to work?"

Youtube link is non functional. Good looking start though.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YC8NYCNPNDb-xJ let me know if this one works... It works for me when I click on it.

Very KOOL man! The world needs more of the mandolin orchestra instruments! Sitka top? You're not going traditional woods? What are you going to use for the body, maple, birch, I'm very interested as there is no one building these in the traditional look well maybe Gilchrist? Oh just seen you have a youtube link! NICE!

"I can't get the you tube link to work?"

I just re-linked the playlist.. hopefully it works now.

I'm using Curly maple back and sides... I found this relly nice piece of Torrefied Sitka Spruce and had good results in the past using Sitka.. I already outside the realm of traditional as I'm making the body bigger and lengthening the scale.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Nice! What will the scale length be?

I’m making a 25 1/2” scale. To get more tension on the low C

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

hankWalt 

Blog Entries

Wonderful that you are doing this. I look forward to watching all the videos you have put up!

I have never made a mandocello but I have converted four guitars -- three arch top and one flat top -- into mandocellos and also converted a couple of guitars into 5-course mandocellos (I call them citterns). I have owned three other mandocellos in addition to the builds. So as you might imagine I have developed some views on mandocellos. Not that they are anything to "write home about" but here they are:

1) The mandocellos I have produced ranged from 24.75" through 25" to 25.5" -- I really do not see a big issue with a loose C-course on the 24.75" scale. I can't really say the one I built with a 25.5" scale was better either -- or worse for that matter. I know some people are more picky so I'm not saying it is not an issue for some players. I will say this - even if you do get a C-course set of strings with more tension (on a longer scale) you also get at the same time more distance between frets and a more difficult mandocello to play. So it is always a trade off.

2) I feel that a 1.5" nut width combined with a shallow rounded (not pointed) neck profile is the best combination for easy playing. In fact of all the mandocellos I have had the one I have kept is one with a 1.6" nut (due to my mistake while building) and a shallow, rounded arch top guitar neck. The shallow rounded neck profile is the best in my opinion.

3) I think for the mandocello the oval hole is the best all around configuration -- compared to the f-hole version. But that is nothing more then an opinion and the one mandocello I have now is a converted '42 Gibson L-50 (i.e., f-hole).

Best of luck on the build!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	173115
    Just finished carving the Scroll, and editing the video in the Mandocello build! I've added the video in my YouTube playlist and posted a link to the video here... https://youtu.be/xQbIPAU6OAU

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Thanks Bernie for all the information, Greatly appreciated.. I did play with the scale in my mind before setting myself to 25 1/2. and I am aware of the instrument becoming harder to play the longer the scale. I guess I decided to go with this length when looking at Cellos with a 27" scale. even some M'cellos were made at that scale.

The goal is to increase the tension of the Low C , Not just for the low C itself but to add more tension on the actual soundboard to make it more alive. Not certain of how much change this will make but this is what makes it interesting.

I just finished an Octave mandolin last year and convince my customer to go from a 20"scale, like he wanted, to 21" scale to add more tension. He and I were really happy to have chosen the longer scale. the OM is really ringing and is fun to play.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your thoughts. Really appreciate the information.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Tbanks I am enjoying your videos -- its a tour de force in real time!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

17. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Salut Tomy! I've been enjoying your vids (and your accent, reminds me of home in NB) for a while now. Just watched you carve the scroll last night on Youtube - I have to admit that my heart was in my mouth a few times when you went at it with that large gouge, but things are looking great.

I wondered if you were on the forums. Thanks for giving us an "inside view" of your progress.
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

Hi Francis, I’m new here on the forums... Just created my profile... I really like
    It so far, lots of nice people here. Thanks for watching the videos!

You're quite welcome. Thank you for making them. Hope your current build continues to go well.
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

21. The following members say thank you to Inklings for this post:

Tomy, great to see you here!!

I too am a fan of yours and followed the octave build. Your videos are such a treat, always a learning experience. This mandocello is going to be awesome!

- Greg Day (gdayjr)

23. The following members say thank you to gregoriousd for this post:

Thanks Greg for following this build and for the feedback.. Greatly appreciated!

Tomy, as a newbie still working on my first mandolin build (first instrument build of any kind, actually) I have found your YouTube channel extremely helpful. I'm really enjoying watching this new series. Thanks.

26. The following members say thank you to putnamm for this post:

Name:	mandocello 6.5.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	874.2 KB 
ID:	173341
    Just uploaded my latest Q & A video, answering questions from the viewers in regards to the soundboard.
    https://youtu.be/4z2V1caHbtU

28. The following members say thank you to Hovington Instruments for this post:

I've just uploaded the last video progress on the Mandocello.. here's the link:
    https://youtu.be/pk_kwW5pYMA

Name:	IMG_1947a.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	173662

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Answering your questions in this latest video:
    Mandocello 7.5 Q&A
    https://youtu.be/hIpxxtD0Bzg

Name:	Screenshot (41).png 
Views:	256 
Size:	981.4 KB 
ID:	173930

32. The following members say thank you to Hovington Instruments for this post:

So, after weighting the pro and cons I've made up my mind and will install a Virzi in my M'Cello. Although it will be my first time playing around with one, It is something I want to ,First, have in for the sound it produce, second to learn something new and experiment with it..
    https://youtu.be/i43RvuNjWh8

Name:	IMG_0859a.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	409.3 KB 
ID:	174012

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

I've been following this thread and find it interesting and informative. It's good to hear your thought process during the 'build' videos as well as the additional explanations in the Q & A videos. Thanks for posting.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildpikr For This Useful Post:

I just added the latest build progress of the Mandocello build. In this one I'm adding tone bars, the Virzi and also making some tap tone in between steps to really hear the changes happening on the soundboard. Let me know what you think!
    https://youtu.be/LeX_L4uwkgY

Name:	IMG_0886a.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	174204

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Mandocello build Part 9 in the build series. So I've made some really good progress on the Neck and the Backboard this week. Check the Video link.. https://youtu.be/36GA7gZZDu0

Name:	IMG_0937b.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	424.4 KB 
ID:	174451

40. The following members say thank you to Hovington Instruments for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hovington Instruments View Post
    I just added the latest build progress of the Mandocello build. In this one I'm adding tone bars, the Virzi and also making some tap tone in between steps to really hear the changes happening on the soundboard. Let me know what you think!
    https://youtu.be/LeX_L4uwkgY

Name:	IMG_0886a.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	174204
    I have really been enjoying your build process so far but must admit that I was disappointed with your method of fitting the tone bars.
    The violin makers method using registration blocks and chalk fitting is much more accurate and does not take much more time.
    You asked for honest feed back so there it is. Still it is a fantastic looking build!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings