Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandocello K-style build

Default Re: Mandocello K-style build

Hey Tomy, sorry I did not mean to nit pick. You are obviously a talented maker and use methods that get the results you are looking for. Looking forward to the rest of the build.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thanks for your feedback Charley, really do appreciate ..

3. The following members say thank you to Hovington Instruments for this post:

I'm really glad this step is now behind me.. I must admit... I was very apprehensive about it! But I'm sure glad I took my time with it because the joint is perfect. check out the process here.. https://youtu.be/Zz7iiWvmM8I
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1323a.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	422.7 KB 
ID:	175157

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

After shaping the peghead and the neck profile, drilling the holes for the tuners and gluing up the neck joint, The Mandocello really is starting to look like a musical instrument. latest video link: https://youtu.be/v7UVOMdvY5Q

Name:	IMG_2656ab.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	536.3 KB 
ID:	175342

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Great documentation and videos, very nice work.

9. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Name:	IMG_1633.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	618.5 KB 
ID:	175465
    Been busy with the backboard for quite a while now and happy to report that the dry fit is done!

http://www.hovingtoninstruments.com/today-in-the-shop

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Name:	IMG_1642a.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	409.5 KB 
ID:	175533
    After a lot of hours the backboard is carved and dry fitted onto the Mandocello... Check out the hand carving process and different steps in this video... https://youtu.be/Nwg-BTa1X6s

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Name:	IMG_1784a.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1,005.0 KB 
ID:	175663
    Glue up the curly maple back on the m'cello yesterday.. really happy with the whole build so far!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Nice! Looking forward, will you make the bridge with feet or solid contact across the top?
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Thanks Mike.. I will do feet for the bridge.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	IMG_1782a.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	581.0 KB 
ID:	175769
    Latest video is out...In this video you can see the backboard tuning, glue up and ebony points installation.
    http://www.hovingtoninstruments.com/...n-the-shopblog

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Been pretty busy again with the fretboard extender, dovetail filler, done the inlay work and started the fretboard. I am getting extremely fidgety … I can't wait to put the strings on... Guess I will need to wait nonetheless..

Name:	IMG_1994b.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	464.2 KB 
ID:	175994

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Been watching the videos, very cool! Thanks
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

22. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

these videos are awesome! thanks so much for sharing them. i see so much to learn from these. i like the music also.

appreciate how you list the tools and products you use, and give a link to each.

d

Thanks darylcrisp, Really nice to hear that those vids are useful... The links really help me and my channel to grow as they are affiliated links. But at the same time are the same things I use on my own build...

Build Progress... The fretboard is made and glued to the Mandocello... Check the link to the video.
    http://www.hovingtoninstruments.com/...n-the-shopblog ATTACH=CONFIG]176238[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2343b.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	369.2 KB 
ID:	176238  

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Very nice! Thanks for the update!

Got really exited last time I was in the shop.. Made the bridge, strung the Mandocello and was able to hear it for the first time... Mind you the voicing is not done and the action isn't optimal..( will most likely get the spacing on the nut between the strings closer also).

BUT...

I've been able to play this monster up to the point that my fingers asked me to stop... It was so rewarding and exiting to hear the response, the tone, and how low it sounds in person. Oh, and the low C isn't a thud... It rings on and on and on!!! I made this little clip for everyone interested to hear it at this point in time...

http://www.hovingtoninstruments.com/...n-the-shopblog date:04/25/19

Name:	IMG_2347.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	450.1 KB 
ID:	176285

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Tried to hear your clip. It tells me it is unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Tried to hear your clip. It tells me it is unavailable.
    Thanks for the heads up, just fixed it.. should be working now .

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

So I've been busy putting the blueprints together to make them available while entering the finishing stages of my own build. The M'cello still needs binding on the soundboard and backboard and the voicing before the dyes and finish. But I also have a list of people\builders that are looking forward to get their hand on those prints... check out the progress http://www.hovingtoninstruments.com/...n-the-shopblog

Name:	IMG_2631.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	176368

Nice! Compared to a mando she's a beast! Reminds me of an acoustic bass I built a few years ago. It had a 20" lower bout. Definitely crossed the line into "too large" to make sense:

Name:	DSC02888.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	176376

That’s Huge!!!! Very nice though.. mine is at 15 1/2” feels big but not uncomfortable..

Finding the Intonation for a custom bridge. Latest video...

Name:	IMG_2345a.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	382.9 KB 
ID:	176486

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hovington Instruments For This Useful Post:

Hi Tomy,

You mentioned that there was better response on the C and G strings on one tuner and better response on the D and A strings on another. I wonder if you had incorporated a place to mount a clip-on tuner, if the response on all strings would be more [or maybe less] consistent? Just curious, I guess. Thanks for posting!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    Hi Tomy,

You mentioned that there was better response on the C and G strings on one tuner and better response on the D and A strings on another. I wonder if you had incorporated a place to mount a clip-on tuner, if the response on all strings would be more [or maybe less] consistent? Just curious, I guess. Thanks for posting!
    I did many test afterward and turns out the best way, By Far, is to use my strobosoft strobe tuner... although my phone app was pretty close. I unfortunately don't have a clip on tuner so I wasn't able to try this but It does seem like a good idea to try. Maybe I should try to change the battery in the tuner itself now that I think of it.. thanks for the idea...