Thread: Passernig two point in the classifieds

Default Passernig two point in the classifieds

I think this mandolin has been discussed here in the past but it is a very cool instrument and sounds really good.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/132192#132192

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Default Re: Passernig two point in the classifieds

About 3 years ago,I played a Passernig F5 at Smoky Mtn Guitars in Pigeon Forge, TN. I believe it's the owners personal mandolin. That mandolin absolutely blowed me away. I've played a lot of good mandolins thru the years, but that F5 had so much power and projection....and I just never realized that a builder could get that much out of a mandolin. It sent me back to the "drawing board" and wishing I'd had the time and approval from the owner to study that one for a while. No financial interest or favors here....just a memory of an F5 that still surfaces when I see one of his mandolins! -Jason

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Sloan For This Useful Post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I have played one of his instruments. Very powerful and nuanced. Fine workmanship, too.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billhay4 For This Useful Post:

I think it's a really cool design, but you better plan on keeping it if you buy it, because there's only a few other people who will even consider buying it.

I have one of his A5s that I really enjoy playing. Very light and responsive.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

That first caught my eye a couple years ago, great looking mandolin from a respected builder. Seems like Don says it is not for everyone, tho I lusted after it for some time, as it took a long time to sell and is now again for sale. I love something different and this is definitely that.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I am simply not good enough to get away with taking that mandolin out of its case. It sure does sound lively, though.

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

10. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Eleven years ago I was looking for an F5. I had a Collings MT2 but couldn't afford the Collings F. Found just a few posts about this Passernig fellow, used to work making Collings mandolins, who had no website and seemed to be under everybody's radar. I contacted two owners for opinions, phoned up Stefan in Austen and the store and ended up buying the one he was about to stain. Number 36. If you make enough decisions in life once in a while you make a good one.

Blog Entries

Passernig is the real deal, totally off the radar of too many in the mandolin community. They don't just look good, they sound great. I've played several and he should be mentioned with the best of the best in our opinion.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

I was in Austin a couple of weeks ago and stopped off at Fiddlers Green. They have an amazing Passernig A style mandola in stock right now.

15. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    That first caught my eye a couple years ago, great looking mandolin from a respected builder. Seems like Don says it is not for everyone, tho I lusted after it for some time, as it took a long time to sell and is now again for sale. I love something different and this is definitely that.
    Hi Pops1,
    This is an excellent mandolin with a strong powerful sound. I love the look; I get tired of the same old tobacco sunburst F5. As to why it痴 for sale, I知 a dealer🙂. That痴 what I do.
    Best regards
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by ajh View Post
    I was in Austin a couple of weeks ago and stopped off at Fiddlers Green. They have an amazing Passernig A style mandola in stock right now.
    Yes ive played it, Its been there a pretty long time. Probably just because its a mandola which i imagine is harder to sell. But boy it does sound good
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

18. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I think it's a really cool design, but you better plan on keeping it if you buy it.
    With tone like that, I don't think that would be a problem.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

20. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    Yes ive played it, Its been there a pretty long time. Probably just because its a mandola which i imagine is harder to sell. But boy it does sound good
    Yes, it most certainly does!

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

22. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Johnson View Post
    Hi Pops1,
    This is an excellent mandolin with a strong powerful sound. I love the look; I get tired of the same old tobacco sunburst F5. As to why it’s for sale, I’m a dealer��. That’s what I do.
    Best regards
    Charles
    Charles, didn't mean to offend you, I know who you are. I have been on your site many times, and talked to you years ago about an instrument. I think the mandolin is strikingly beautiful and lusted after it, as I said before, when it was at Fiddlers Green. It was there a long time and now for sale from you. I just meant to agree with Don about it requiring the right person for a purchase. I don't own an F mandolin as I like A's and love two points. Bought a Woodley once because it looked unique and this intrigues me because of it's unique look, plus Passernig's reputation.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

i'm surely one of those who really, really likes this mandolin. It's a beautiful thing to my eye and the neck looks superb in every way. Only thing is that i only need one ff style, and the Stanley A5s has opened up so well and i'm so used to it that anything else wouldn't get enough playing time...every purchase since has come and gone. But this unusual Passernig is about as appealing as it gets. A shame to put so much plastic on it, as wood binding would've been a nice touch. Taste is a funny thing. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    i'm surely one of those who really, really likes this mandolin. It's a beautiful thing to my eye and the neck looks superb in every way. Only thing is that i only need one ff style, and the Stanley A5s has opened up so well and i'm so used to it that anything else wouldn't get enough playing time...every purchase since has come and gone. But this unusual Passernig is about as appealing as it gets. A shame to put so much plastic on it, as wood binding would've been a nice touch. Taste is a funny thing. Thanks for posting.
    Similarly, I acquired a Stanley A5 (#46) that sounded great but couldn't displace the Passernig A5 (with maple binding!) that I had grown used to over time.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Yes, that's exactly my situation. i had 2 opportunites to buy #46 but already had #62 (ebony top bound). Gotta say that #46 is a really good sounding man'lin, plastic and all. Is the A5 in your avatar the Passernig?

After listening to that Passernig A in the Fiddler's Green video, i'm really impressed. What a great mandolin, and that fellow's pickin' skills don't hurt it a bit.

27. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Yes, that's exactly my situation. i had 2 opportunites to buy #46 but already had #62 (ebony top bound). Gotta say that #46 is a really good sounding man'lin, plastic and all. Is the A5 in your avatar the Passernig?
    No, the A5 in my avatar is my Hester, built as a tribute to the Mrs. Griffith Loar. My Passernig has more of the modern A5 silhouette.

After listening to that Passernig A in the Fiddler's Green video, i'm really impressed. What a great mandolin, and that fellow's pickin' skills don't hurt it a bit.
    If you're interested, there are a number of additional video clips -- some featuring Ben -- posted to the Passernig social group:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=295
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I've watched the video of the Passernig 2 Point more times than I would like to admit. It sounds really amazing and led me down a path of learning more about the builder. That design is really interesting, but I agree that innovation can lead to isolation. The Passernig name isn't Montelone (yet, who knows what the future holds), so many people arn't willing to buy mandolins that don't look like the traditional A or F style. After personally having trouble selling a unique shaped 2 point mandolin I purchased, I'm very cautious about buying a mandolin that deviates from too much from the norm.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Victor Daniel For This Useful Post:

I love oddball designs and that one works for me, especially if it sounds as great as it does in the video. IMHO it is a lot less out there than, say, Giacomel mandolins.

My only question: why is it called a two-point? I see at least four points.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

32. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

looks beautiful to moi. if it sounds great why not. it's not nearly as expensive as some hand mades

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    looks beautiful to moi. if it sounds great why not. it's not nearly as expensive as some hand mades
    It is handmade, you know. I believe that Passernig is a small, if not one-man shop.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

35. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I've drooled over that Mandolin for two days now.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

Now on hold. I hope it finds a good home!

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/instr...rnig_2point_71
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

38. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post: