Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

Default In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

Recently, people were discussing the pursuit of mandolin "brilliance" on another thread. I'd said that one of the joys of taking up mandolin in my 60's was that I didn't have to aim for excellence; competence was a reasonable goal -- or words to that effect. Here's an article for those who've realized or are coming to grips with the fact that they aren't going to be the next Monroe, Grisman, Thile or whoever.

I've noticed in my adult life, a phenomenon developing that I call the "professionalization of everything." A person can't make a good meal or show their new quilt anymore -- let alone play a musical instrument well -- without being told, "That's really good; you should do this professionally." I didn't hear that kind of comment much in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. I shake my head when I hear that universities have "folk" or "traditional" music courses. Failing a fiddling course? The only people who may have the right to fail you in traditional music are the traditional audiences for that music, and I'm not even sure about that. Let the brilliant be brilliant while the rest of us have fun, while improving as we're able. As the author of this article shows, the pursuit of excellence can often scare a person away from a favoured activity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/o...ction=Trending

If the link doesn't work, search: "In Praise of Mediocrity -- The New York Times".
    Last edited by Ranald; Nov-28-2018 at 7:08pm. Reason: additional info
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post

I've noticed in my adult life, a phenomenon developing that I call the "professionalization of everything." A person can't make a good meal or show their new quilt anymore -- let alone play a musical instrument well -- without being told, "That's really good; you should do this professionally."
    Thanks for your post.

I've also noticed that "amateur" has gone from meaning "for the love of something" to meaning "unprofessional, mediocre, less-than-good".

Unfortunately I cannot access your article.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

A person can't make a good meal or show their new quilt anymore -- let alone play a musical instrument well -- without being told, "That's really good; you should do this professionally."

Fortunately, I've never been forced to suffer such indignity.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

David,
    I added the name and source of the article to Post #1, so you should be able to find it now.
    Ranald
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

8. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Thanks for the link to the article, Ranald. I have started playing mandolin late in life also, and I am strictly playing for my own enjoyment and fun. If I get to play with other folks at a jam, at church or whatever, that is fun and I enjoy it. But if I am just playing alone trying to learn something, that is fun also. The article pretty much hit the nail on the head.

10. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

Ranald 

Ranald, I couldn't agree more. And, the article is a good support for your comments. I, too, took up mandolin late in life for my own personal enjoyment. It's more like a life-long passion that has come to fruition than a hobby. My wife is my greatest supporter in this endeavor, my adult kids have complimented my progress when they've been within earshot, and my dogs don't howl or run away in terror when I start playing. All's good on the home front. If the opportunity arises to play for someone, that would be great but only for the enjoyment of sharing. I admire the mandolin greats - both past and present. I even study their playing styles and techniques but their journey is not my journey. It'd be nice to find someone to play with just to enjoy the music and the journey. Practicing and playing for pleasure on the mandolin is my outlet and one that is filled with great joy. Thank you for starting this thread and for sharing the article.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

12. The following members say thank you to FredK for this post:

Ranald 

I totally agree Ranald. I came to the mandolin 5 years ago (at 37 years old) and fell in love with this little instrument. I'm often frustrated but equally surprised by the learning process. I've found that seeing any progress in my playing however small has given me confidence that I can in theory learn anything. But above all playing and learning to play just makes me happy.

-David, I'm glad that here in France amateur still means essentially 'for the love of' and, I love that!
    -Fred K, I agree, every mandolin player has a different journey. I find it's all about enjoying the journey whichever one you're on.

I think often of what Kurt Vonnegut had to say about practicing:

“Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.”

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kerinjo For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

For me, good enough is good enough. I pick well enough to hold my own at Irish sessions (mando and Tenor banjo) and I don't need to get any better than that. Despite rarely practicing as such, I'm still improving.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

16. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Ranald 

===========

A person can't make a good meal or show their new quilt anymore -- let alone play a musical instrument well -- without being told, "That's really good; you should do this professionally."

In reality - mediocrity is MUCH more common than exceptional skill . . . and, in my humble opinion, there are some people who do things 'professionally' whose skill level is, at best, less than mediocre; (i.e., take a walk though a 'Modern Art' gallery sometime!).

In the end - I have absolutely no problems praising mediocrity . . . just as long as the person doing the mediocre work is:

1. Serious about what they are doing.
    2. Knows that they are not at the top of their game, and doesn't go on an ego trip, pretending to be some sort of genius or superstar.
    3. Is continuing to work at improving their craft.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

"Mediocrity" is a term that is defined by the population being described. If we stipulate a population composed of human beings with two fully functional hands, then mediocrity is a pretty low goal for a student of the mandolin. But in a population of mandolin players who frequent this forum, mediocrity is worthy of being at least an intermediate goal for a lot of us. And "playing like a mediocre pro musician" represents something to enjoy striving for, for an old newbie like me, but which is less than realistic as an actual goal. For a few in our midst, this last example objective would be a low bar indeed.

So I happily stipulate that as long as you are not the world's unquestioned best mandolinist, there is always some kind of mediocrity to strive for.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

"On the road to excellence, enjoy mediocrity." Last year's mantra. Feel free to use it!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Lifelong mediocre player here. When I stopped trying to “get good” at the mandolin and guitar was when I started having the most fun. YMMV.

24. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Ranald 

Blog Entries

How i am compared to others is of little consequence. But I try mightily to be a little better than I was before.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

This concept has to be taken in the context of your audience, the most knowledgeable regarding your abilities and aspirations is your own self. I am constantly amazed that others, to varying degrees, have a higher regard of my meager abilities than I do. And yes, we do take our efforts far too seriously.

And while I'm making a consertive effort to tackle mandolin in a systematic way by playing pick and scale exercises, I try not to lose track I'm doing it just for the joy of playing. Both my daughters are professional musicians, and sometimes I think that takes a lot of the pleasure away.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

That article makes a lot of sense. I didn't start the mandolin for master it, I play if for money and the groupies

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    That article makes a lot of sense. I didn't start the mandolin for master it, I play it for money and the groupies
    I have been payed a tad for a few gigs I've done, but the groupies so far have eluded me. Oh well.

I really like the column. And I totally agree. I practice my music so I can have more fun with it. Period. If I hear a fiddle tune I like, I'll work it up on mando until I can play it without thinking and just enjoy how it feels and sounds. If I hear a Rev. Gary Davis version of a song, I'll work on guitar on some of the licks I heard him play (and there aren't very many that are at all within my reach), and really enjoy it when I can twang out a passable version of it.

I used to have a lot more trouble with setting a bar too high for myself and getting bummed when I didn't reach it. That took away too much fun. Not anymore.

My guitar teacher, a REALLY good musician on several instruments, often tells me, "It's not a contest." He's right. I'll never play as well as him and those he records with. But so what? Am I having fun? Yes, and that's all that matters. That's especially true when I play piano. I quit playing when I was a kid. Too much pressure to become Van F***ing Cliburn, from both within and without. I didn't even touch it for years. Then, after I took up guitar, then mando, and had FUN playing music, I started sitting down at the piano. I suck at it. I almost never perform for others on it. But Lord, do I ever have fun!

32. The following members say thank you to BluesPreacher for this post:

Ranald 

I am better than average on piano, worse than average on mandolin and guitar, and still working on getting to tolerable on violin and oboe, but still in there trying. I have always wanted to learn violin, so it is worth trying to me, and I want to play in an orchestra someday, and I figured with oboe there would be minimal competition. I actually wanted to work on bassoon, but I couldn't afford a bassoon (a cheap one is about $7000) and a decent oboe is about a 10th of that. So I keep working on all the instruments as I can while working full time, and will practice more when I retire. I will likely never be great on anything, and that's just fine with me, as long as I am improving.

34. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Ranald 

The good thing about the mandolin is that the average person hasnt heard any Chris Thile or Sierra Hull or Avi Avital. For all they know, youre the best in the world
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LongBlackVeil For This Useful Post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    The good thing about the mandolin is that the average person hasnt heard any Chris Thile or Sierra Hull or Avi Avital. For all they know, youre the best in the world
    Ain't that the truth! A few months ago I was trying out a cheap Epiphone at a local thrift store. I ripped off a couple of quick licks and some guy standing not far away looked at me like I was the living reincarnation of Jethro Burns. Not only is that totally ridiculous, but it may even border on a being a little scary!

38. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Ranald 

Very good article. Becoming mediocre has always been my goals. Whether it's now playing mandolin, or previously focusing on guitar. Or any of my other hobbies.

One thing I do like is the article points out that folks just aren't spending the time to work learning things. No matter what the hobby. Recently been trying to not spend as much time in front of a screen in my non-work hours. Either practicing or reading.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

40. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Ranald 

Thanks for that article, I really like the concept. I've been playing mandolin about 28 years, after playing guitar for 20. I used to have a lot of anxiety about not being as good as (name your favorite player) or even some of the better players at jams I've gone to. That anxiety was mostly about not being able to play super fast or not being able to play some of the infamous "finger buster" tunes. But that anxiety didn't make me any better. When I sought out instruction or put in practice time, it was for the enjoyment of it, not the anxiety.

I've accepted that I'm as good as I need to be. I've played at church every Sunday for nearly the whole 28 years and I've also played in paid performing old-time string bands. I feel good about what I play and I get compliments regularly. It's fun, it's satisfying and it's all I need for music as a hobby.

If I want to play something that's difficult for me, I will put in the time to master it and I can do that confidently. But it is all about the music, the sound, not "being good" or "sounding professional." I have my own sound that's unique and serves me very well. So I found the article validating.

42. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Ranald 

A friend of mine, taking up cello way into his fifties, started his learning with the Bach unaccompanied cello suites. When I raised an eyebrow, he said "People have been performing Bach badly for years ... no reason I shouldn't join them!" Amen.

44. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

Been thinking about this thread and this subject quite a bit. I realized at some point that when I see the “great” players doing their thing, that I no longer care that I can’t play like them. I think about the time, relationships, etc that I would have to sacrifice to become even remotely close. Not worth it to me.

I’d say the world’s instruments are largely made for the mediocre player. I’d also venture to say that the majority of musicians over the centuries have been quite mediocre. Most people will never have the time to be great players. There is a freedom in just playing for fun and for one’s own enjoyment.

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    "On the road to excellence, enjoy mediocrity." Last year's mantra. Feel free to use it!

f-d
    An EXCELLENT idea for a mandolin case sticker!!

48. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    My guitar teacher, a REALLY good musician on several instruments, often tells me, "It's not a contest."
    Your teacher was very perceptive; music is not a completion sport.

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post: