Thread: Banjo fingers

Default Banjo fingers

Hi All I am new to the mandolin but have been playing the banjo for quite some time. My question is "what is the general consensus about having the 3rd and 4th finger on your picking hand resting on the face of the mandolin"? It is such and ingrained action that I sometimes wonder what others do. I know on my banjo it makes little difference but what about the mandolin?

Thanks and input appreciated.

Keith

Default Re: Banjo fingers

The only difference it will make on the mandolin is to cause damage to the top over time. That's where a finger rest is useful.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

You do not want to post up solid like you do on the banjo. You want the hand free to float whether picking or strumming. There are two schools of thought on fingers. The more common is to curl all the fingers and either lightly brush the wrist behind the bridge or free float all together. The other school has the fingers lightly brush the finger rest/pick guard and float as you pick. Watch some video of pro players.

I do not know of any great mandolin players who post solid like on a banjo. There are a couple of great flatpick guitarists who do and they both say they got into the habit early in their playing and wished that they didn't.

Anchoring your fingers while finger-picking is fine, but using a pick is very different. There have been many discussions on this forum as to what is best: to plant your finger, to let a finger brush lightly as a depth gauge, to lightly touch the heel of your hand behind or on the bridge, to lightly touch the heel of your hand on the unused bass strings in front of the bridge, or to let your hand float freely. Most people suggest NOT planting your finger(s).

I try hard to keep my picking hand off the face but years of banjoing makes my fingers gravitate to the face, strumming is not an issue but picking is. Maybe a little duct tape before I start playing is in order I know it smudges the nice shiny face which I hate.

I think with practice you'll be able to play and not post. Takes a little time, worked for me. I played bluegrass banjo a lot before mando. Play clawhammer too, and obviously can't post with that. Anyway, good luck, with or without duct tape. . .

Keith - As a banjo player myself,i rest my little finger on the skin close to the bridge. However,if i try to do that on my mandolin,i simply can't play. My hand becomes totally anchored. I play from my wrist to an extent,but most of my 'picking power' comes from my right hand fingers,which,because of 50+ years of banjo playing are pretty strong. Many mandolin players can do it with ease,i just can't ,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold Star GF-100 (2).jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	172992
    PS - My 'once owned' Gold Star Chinese built ''re-issue'' banjo -it was superb !.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I think everyone's hands are different, and when a mandolin is in the hand the player will find out what work best for them.

Personally, I only anchor on the banjo and on the Dobro with my little finger, tucking my 3rd finger underneath. On mandolin (and tenor/plectrum banjo) I tend to do a pinky-brush but not anchor. On double bass I use a 3-fingered claw for slap and 2-fingers for piz with my thumb hooked on the fingerboard and the rest of my fingers tucked under (and a French bow for arco).

I use finger-rests/pickguards and armrests on all of my mandolins, as well as on all of my main-playing banjos (!!).

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Generally, what ever position your hands feel best.
    That said, when I'm playing guitar or mandolin my hand is touching noting but the pick. It allows me to
    float over the strings a bit better and in my instance, get some decent speed.
    Playing banjo, I have my little finger firmly planted on the head, just feels better that way.
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I play Tenor banjo, mostly Irish stuff, and I don't plant my pinky. I try to keep my pick hand gently closed but it usually opens up when I get going. My little finger will brush the head,but no planting. This is what Enda Scahill recommends and that's good enough for me! On the Tenor, picking is mostly from the wrist and planting a finger limits that.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

12. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post: