Thread: Concert you might like

Blog Entries

Default Concert you might like

If you like the sound of a mandolin orchestra...

https://www.brownpapertickets.com/ev...hmn4YPf811TsoU
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

2. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: Concert you might like

YES!! I was wondering when the East Coast Mandolin Orchestra, an ad-hoc group of 75 folks from around the Northeast, would show up on the Cafe.

Annie & I will be heading down to Philly on Sunday to see a half-dozen of my Bloomfield (NJ) Mandolin Orchestra cohorts join five dozen other such folks for a Sunday afternoon concert. They, of course, will be heading down there on Saturday morning for, I assume, some intensive practice! Hey, how often will you ever get to see TWO mando-basses?
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

4. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

For your convenience, here's the info, for folks in PA and nearby. For me it would be close to a 3 hour drive each way.

Mandolin Mirth - Dec 09, 2018 2:00 PM
    Strath Haven High School (View)
    205 S Providence Rd
    Wallingford, PA 19086
    United States

Mandolin Mirth

The East Coast Mandolin Orchestra (ECMO) consists of 75 professional and highly-skilled amateur musicians drawn from more than a dozen U.S. states. A plucked string orchestra under the direction of Mark Linkns, the ECMO includes mandolin family instruments (mandolin, mandola, mandocello, and mandobass), domras (Russian cousin of the mandolin), guitars (classical and steel-string), and double basses. Many of the members of this group assembled in fall of 2017 at Rosemont College to present a program of music from classic Italian films. The orchestra played to a large (standing room only) and enthusiastic audience.

The repertoire will highlight the mandolin orchestra's wide range of expressive possibilities, referencing diverse classical, folk, and jazz idioms. The program of seasonal and holiday music includes two jazz works by Vince Guaraldi (from "A Charley Brown Christmas"), a Bluegrass-inspired rendering of "Joy to the World," the "Largo" from Vivaldi's "Winter," the 4th Movement of Holst's "St. Paul's Suite,": and "Troika" from Prokofiev's "Liuetenant Kije Suite," and unique settings of familiar carols.

The members of the New England-based Enigmatica will be performing with the ECMO. Under the leadership of musical director Marilyn Mair (one of the foremost American classical mandolin soloists and pedagogues), Enigmatica will perform two works from their own repertoire.

Multi-instrumentalist Antonello DiMatteo will be featured on clarinet and zampogna (Italian pipes) on several works. DiMatteo regularly subs in the clarinet section of the Philadelphia Orchestra, and he also performs with several European classical and folk ensembles.

Mandolin and domra virtuosos Ekaterina Skliar and Aleksei Aleksandrov will perform with the ECMO and will be featured on several duets.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Hey, how often will you ever get to see TWO mando-basses?
    Last time was a video of a Japanese mandolin orchestra, at the last CMSA convention. One group had 2 mandolones (mando basses) AND 2 string basses.

I'll be playing in the second mandolin section. Who else among our Cafe people will be playing? I hope to meet other Cafe people there either playing or in the audience. I am really excited about this concert and hope others are as well.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Who else ...
    I'll be in the audience, with a tan Mando Cafe cap, at least on the way in and out. But you'll be playing with my La Bella Musica cohorts (from left to right) Mark & Gail Sample (on mandolin and flute) and Ben Larkey (guitar in the photo, mandobass in the concert). Also in the photo are me, with the black bass guitar, and Franco DiGangi, on lead mandolin in the center. We're all in front of Franco's barber shop!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	613.5 KB 
ID:	173239

All of us also play in the Bloomfield (NJ) Mandolin Orchestra.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Hi Ed,

I hope to meet you and your friends. I will be easy to pick out; I'll be the one in the 2nd mandolin section making all the mistakes.

Also, I'll be wearing an MC cap coming and going. I have a gray beard and am mostly bald on top. If you see me, please say hello.

Safe travels,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album