Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandolins in Heaven ?

Default Mandolins in Heaven ?

I got to thinking yesterday and was wondering what we believers will be doing in Heaven on our free time ? Surely there will be more to do than just sing hymnals and praise God ! Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with praising God but remember, we will be up there 24/7 for eternity ! There has to be some free time to pursue our own interests ! Maybe God would let us mandolin players pick a few tunes, let the fiddlers fiddle some , guitar pickers pick some and maybe even let us Contra dance teachers even call a few Contra dances ! I did teach Contra dancing in my gym class when I taught school many years ago ! God, if you are reading this surely you can provide some mandolins for those of us who love playing the mandolin ! Please think about it ? Now----we haven't even touched on the subject of BC pics and strings !

Default Re: Mandolins in Heaven ?

Well, since the fiddle is known as the "Devil's box" they would not be found in Heaven. And banjos, probably not either. So I'm thinking just harps and mandolins.

I play mandolin and octave mandolin at church every week, so I am praising God with mandolin now! I figure, why wait for Heaven?

Back in the early 2000's I was in a couple of contra dance string bands around St. Louis and had a lot to do with the St. Louis Folk School. I took lessons from the great Curtis Buckhannon for four years and went to a lot of his performances. We might have run into each other...

3. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    Well, since the fiddle is known as the "Devil's box" they would not be found in Heaven. And banjos, probably not either. So I'm thinking just harps and mandolins.

I play mandolin and octave mandolin at church every week, so I am praising God with mandolin now! I figure, why wait for Heaven?

Back in the early 2000's I was in a couple of contra dance string bands around St. Louis and had a lot to do with the St. Louis Folk School. I took lessons from the great Curtis Buckhannon for four years and went to a lot of his performances. We might have run into each other...
    I did attend the Contra dance events across the river over in Elsah ( just West of Alton) but never in St. Louis. Great that you are playing in church, keep it up !

Just a disclaimer: I play in church every Sunday, but this one just speaks to me...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Far side.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	172958
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

And another one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banjo.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	172959

Yes there will be mandolins in heaven, we will have things to bring us pleasure, I firmly believe that. Here's the best part, in heaven they will be in perfect tune!!!

8. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Yes there will be mandolins in heaven, we will have things to bring us pleasure, I firmly believe that. Here's the best part, in heaven they will be in perfect tune!!!
    Well, no need for tuners then !

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    That would be a miracle!

Banjo players need not apply ! Sorry, but there is another "room" for you banjo players ! I pray not to visit it !

I'm thinking just harps,,harps that are beyond your imagination and playing skills that would be unworldly....

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Assuming you make it there, I'm not sure you'll find many interesting folks to jam with. It's like Mark Twain said: "Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Assuming you make it there, I'm not sure you'll find many interesting folks to jam with. It's like Mark Twain said: "Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    I'm thinking just harps,,harps that are beyond your imagination and playing skills that would be unworldly....
    Hohner or Lee Oskar?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Banjo players need not apply ! Sorry, but there is another "room" for you banjo players ! I pray not to visit it !
    Hmmm, didn't I read something about publicans, sinners and banjo players?

Well, anyway, whatever instruments are present, I'm sure we'll be more happy than we can imagine there.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

I started back playing because I wanted to contribute to the small house church we started a few months ago and can tell you that as beautiful sounding as the old gospel tunes I am learning sound, I think there is a good chance!

20. The following members say thank you to Pilot172000 for this post:

If you think this thread is silly or not relevant you can always search threads on " Which Picks "or "Which strings " ! That will keep you busy reading !

22. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

In this life you’ve only got two things to worry about, if you’re sick or if you’re healthy.

If you’re healthy you have nothing to worry about but if you’re sick you only have two things to worry about, if you live or if you die.

If you live you have nothing to worry about but if you die you only have two things to worry about, if you go to heaven or if you go to hell.

If you go to heaven you’ve got nothing to worry about and if you go to hell you’ll be so busy shaking hands with your old mandolin playing friends you won’t even notice you’re there.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Would it really be 'heaven' without mandolins?
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

I have had friends more knowledgeable in these things explain it to me. Some tell me that I will have the freedom and opportunity to enjoy my mandolin just as now, (only much much better). Others explained that it won't matter, that what we are doing in particular, what ever it is, we will be enjoying with all our hearts.

Not to get all serious on you but I think in my case there is a particular danger in wanting to play and practice the mandolin so much that I am in danger of a kind of idolatry, where the mandolin and the transcendent experiences I can access in this life are a kind of worship. A worship of things made of wood.

It has become quite addicting. I was at a music party the other day and a jam erupted with all these southern old timey players. We played Whiteface and Greasy Coat hard and fast for what seemed like an eternity. Infinite moments within a finite amount of time. I think in my case it is perhaps a little blasphemous to hope to bring this kind of idolatry into heaven.

I don' know, its all very confusing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Not to get all serious on you but I think in my case there is a particular danger in wanting to play and practice the mandolin so much that I am in danger of a kind of idolatry, where the mandolin and the transcendent experiences I can access in this life are a kind of worship. A worship of things made of wood.
    Well, at least you're aware of how you're being drawn in...
    but isn't it the same with any kind of worship, that the methodolgy can easily become the thing worshiped...whether it be the praise band, the choir, a particular liturgy, or just a set and preferred way of doing things...

Interesting thread, this one...

Well, without going into too much detail, in heaven you are perfected, you'll be smarter, and have all the time you want, the whole living outside of time thing. Not sure how that plays out (pun) for musical instruments, but theoretically you can practice as much as you want, same for jams. We know that angels sing, so it's a safe bet there will be some form of music there. And in hell (jokes aside for a moment), it will be lonely since everyone gets solitary confinement, isolation from God and everyone else, and the fire part won't be fun either. Before this thread gets closed, yes there are only two choices...

And in this life, working hard to get good at something is not wrong, and that requires a level of passion, again not necessarily wrong:

pro 22:29 Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure men.

And the do all things as unto the lord bit, which implies doing what we do with our best effort.

Loving something more than God, or that is opposed to God, or worshiping anything that isn't Him, that is idolatry. We are commanded to love our spouses for example, that isn't idolatry, it's obedience. Music is pretty nice too, since it can be used in His service, and is not inherently bad, even though it can be used badly. The issue is all of our hearts are naturally idolatrous, part of why we need a savior, and to be on guard. But that shouldn't prevent you from dedication to excellence on mandolin.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

We have crossed a line here folks. A light hearted discussion has become a bt too serious and that is running afoul of the posting guidelines. Please don't be offended if this gets shut down.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

After observing that there was not much NEW posted here on the cafe lately I just thought I would start a thread on a topic that was not about which picks or which strings. I meant for the thread to be light hearted and produce some chuckles ! Nothing else !

I get that, carry on. By the way, what kind of pick do you think will sound best there?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

In heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.