Thread: A deal on a Kentucky Km 272

Default A deal on a Kentucky Km 272

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M2YZ9FS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

$299.00. Wow. Only bad part is slow delivery. Direct from factory?

Anyway I love mine. And it's quite loud. Plays wonderfully.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

Default Re: A deal on a Kentucky Km 272

Or get the Kentucky KM-252 for $293 with coupon "CYBERMONDAY"
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...19363000001000

===========

+1 on a KM-272 recommendation . . . put one on your Christmas Wish List and you won't be disappointed!

New guy here. I don't yet play the mandolin, but have played the ukulele for about 8 years and the guitar and bass for 2. I play in a band with another guitar and bass. We play mostly older songs at senior centers and nursing homes.

I like to sing and accompany myself on either the guitar and uke, but am thinking I could do the same thing with mandolin, plus play some nice melody breaks. I also participate in a monthly bluegrass jam on the guitar, but playing a break on the Mando would be a long ways off.

Looking at these two deals, I wonder which mandolin might be best for me. I have read most of the posts on this forum on oval vs ff by the way. From reading, I understand that KM272 might have more bass and a "sweeter voice" than the KM252, which might be better suited for voice accompaniment. That said, the KM252 would probably be a better bluegrass break instrument.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Smyrna5; Nov-28-2018 at 11:28am.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyrna5 View Post
    New guy here. I don't yet play the mandolin, but have played the ukulele for about 8 years and the guitar and bass for 2. I play in a band with another guitar and bass. We play mostly older songs at senior centers and nursing homes.

I like to sing and accompany myself on either the guitar and uke, but am thinking I could do the same thing with mandolin, plus play some nice melody leads. I also participate in a monthly bluegrass jam on the guitar.

Looking at these two deals, I wonder which mandolin might be best for me. I understand that KM272 might have more bass than the KM252, which might be better suited for voice accompaniment. That said, the KM252 would probably be a better bluegrass break instrument.

Thoughts?
    Welcome to the cafe!
    I think you're right on with that assessment.
    FYI- either will need a setup. You can have that done locally or do it yourself if you're reasonably handy.

Thanks, Colorado_al. BTW- I called Musicians Friend and asked how long the 15% cyber Monday deal is going to last. They said until the 1st, in case anyone is on the fence, as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyrna5 View Post
    Thanks, Colorado_al. BTW- I called Musicians Friend and asked how long the 15% cyber Monday deal is going to last. They said until the 1st, in case anyone is on the fence, as I am.
    Sure thing!
    I think you can't go wrong with either of these. I've owned and played both and they are really an exceptional value! The oval will have more low end. However because the KM-272 is a bit of a hybrid with a raised fretboard and neck attachment at the 14th fret, it still has plenty of punch. I ended up keeping the KM-272 since it seemed more versatile to me (and I also have several other FF hole mandolins).
    Get Rob Meldrum's setup ebook here and do the setup yourself:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Mandolin-Users
    or find a good mandolin tech in your area and pay them $75 or so to do it for you.

Let us know what you go with and how things progress for you! Also come back with any questions.

Best, Al

PS- Here's a video of me playing the KM-250 (same as KM-252 but in sunburst finish) Sold it already however.

I must not have recorded a video of the KM-272 yet, but here's a video of my son playing it. It'll give you a sense of the tone.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Nov-29-2018 at 1:37pm.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

That's a good price. I bought mine used from a cafe member for $300, but it originated at the mandolin store and came with a great setup. I was very surprised at the playability!
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

The big box stores having been selling Kentucky below cost off and on for years, but just lately it has really ramped up. I actually dropped the brand because of this. Not whining about it, but just a public service message.... These are REALLY good deals, likely kicked off by automated repricers. I would jump on them if in the market.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

By the way, the deal on the KM252 has been sweetened a bit with a 17% discount until Dec 21. That makes it $245 with free delivery but no setup. I initially passed on the deal and got a Rogue instead. Having owned, setup, and played the Rogue about a week now, it has done its job. It showed me the potential of the instrument. I am loving it enough that I ordered the KM252 at the new lower price. Delivery isn't expected until Dec 21, but I have to Rogue to play while I dream of playing and learning on the Kentucky. I may or may not offload the Rogue once I get the Kentucky.

That's an amazing deal on a good instrument. Learning setup on the Rogue is invaluable and keeping it as a campfire mandolin is a bonus!

Here's a good case that is worth the $40
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-mandolin-case

14. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

As the fates would have it, it turns out I have owned a mandolin gig bag for several years. I bought it one day at the thrift store for $4, not really knowing exactly what instrument it was for. I guess I was pre-destined to get a mandolin eventually. It fits the Rogue nicely. Nice deal on the hard case for the Kentucky although some comments on the site seem to indicate its not deep enough for some mandolins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	173226

That is funny! I am surprised no one picked it up for a tennis racket! haha
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

17. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    That is funny! I am surprised no one picked it up for a tennis racket! haha
    Thats what i thought it was at first lol. Too bad it didnt have a mabdolin in it.