Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snark vs Korg chromatic tuner

Default Snark vs Korg chromatic tuner

This is a small review of the Korg CA-1 vs the Snark ST-2

They both cost about $15 on Amazon. Thus far I have been using the Korgs, I have one in every instrument case, and was thinking of converting to the Snark after using one in a store.

So I bought my first Snark last weekend, and I noticed right off that it had significantly less resolution than the Korg.

The Korg can hear things I can't, the Snark is the opposite, it says in-tune and my ears say otherwise.

I depend on a very precise tuner to adjust bridge position for intonation, the snark would not be adequate for that task, but the Korg is acceptable to my ears, and there are better tuners than the Korg out there.

So, this is my first - and likely my last - Snark.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

2. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Astro 

Default Re: Snark vs Korg chromatic tuner

Snarks tend to fragile in my hands.

I use an iPhone app called PitchLab for personal use. If there’s a cacaphony going on, it works ok if I lay it onto the instrument.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    ——————————
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

Polytune and Peterson are the two I like best, and most accurate by far. The polytune also gets great battery life.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I see the polytune is either a pedal or a head-stock clip-on, is the clip-on version good?
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.

Just had an interesting issue with this with a player who could not get his instrument in tune. We eventually realized that the Snark tuner which he was using was so inaccurate that he was consistently tuning OUT of tune.

So many tuners that are SO much more accurate and reliable than the (aptly named) Snark.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

kurth83, the polytune headstock version is excellent

Thanks, ordered a polytune, I have tuners in my cases, but one sits out where I play and I use it most of the time, that's where the polytune will go.

I've used lots of tuners over the years, most of them pedal tuners, and none of them were worse than my ears, snark is the only one so far. And it's wildly popular, go figure.

Gonna tell my band mates to stop using them.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I made the switch to the D'Addario NS Micro after two Snarks crapped out on me after very little use. So far (about 2 years) I haven't had any issues with my Micro tuners! Love um.

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    I see the polytune is either a pedal or a head-stock clip-on, is the clip-on version good?
    I have the headstock version, It can be used as a normal tuner or strobe. The readout flips automatically if you put it on upside down and it is very accurate, especially in strobe.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

The high failure rate and inaccuracy of the Snarks (as also mentioned by previous posters) I owned drove me to find something else. I stumbled upon the Korg Sledgehammer Pro and never looked back. A bit more expensive, but worth it. I especially like the strobe mode.
    Rob

13. The following members say thank you to Rob Meyer for this post:

Blog Entries

I have a Snark. I have had very good luck with it. I also have a Peterson. Yes it is more precise, but it is also more fiddly. The Snark works fine, and gives me a consistent result.

No matter what tuner I use i have to do the fine tuning by ear. Mostly to get the unison just perfect.

But the Snark has always been very reliable, visible in bright light, accurate, and sturdy enough. (I take the thing off once i am in tune, and put it away.)
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I have some Snarks, and they are OK. They have one called "Tight Tuning" and it is more accurate. But I use the TC Polytune 2 for live gigs through my pedalboard. But the best small tuner I have at home is the Korg GA custom. It is way more accurate than the Snark.

I have a couple of snarks and a couple of the D'Addario Micro s and I use them at gigs and they work just fine for me.

The SN2 snark is easier for me to see at dimly lit bars so thats mainly what I use. It comes to rest quickly on the note. I have not noticed it being off tune. But I have two because my first one snapped at the neck which is a weak spot. I rubber banded it back together and it works but is fragile so stays home. I have seen most every famous mandolin player or folk rock star with one on their instrument so if they were notoriously bad, I kind of doubt Chris Theile would have one hanging on his Loar Gibby (I've seen Chris blindly pluck a note and call it out by name up and down the neck. I'd say he knows.) Then again, the way snark churns these out, even if only 1 % were bad there would be thousands of bad ones out there. Prob not much quality control. But mine seem ok. These are not heirloom quality pieces of kit meant to last. They are meant to be cheap and work good until they break and you get another one. its the Bic ball point pen of pens, not the Cross. So if you're into everything being high quality, there's that.

My micro is great because it snaps to my capo making it easy to fine tune guitar after capoing. The small screen is OK under a capo because its closer than the headstock.

If I made any real money from my gigs I'd buy a pedal tuner. Lots of stuff I'd buy. But I cant justify the cost at my level.

Reading this forum over the years I have to admit that I probably spend a whole lot less time tuning or worrying about tunning than the average forum-ite so its me that is probably dimly lit, not just the bar.

Next time I'll try the Korg ca1 since its similar priced. Thanks for the review.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have the headstock version, It can be used as a normal tuner or strobe. The readout flips automatically if you put it on upside down and it is very accurate, especially in strobe.
    I totally agree with the great accuracy and bright display of the Polytune-Clip.($50) It's my go-to tuner most of the time.

Little known fact: Sweetwater carries a version of the Polytune called the "Unitune" ($30) which has all the great features of the polytune EXCEPT that it doesn't try to tune ALL of your guitar strings at the same time. NFI.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I made the switch to the D'Addario NS Micro after two Snarks crapped out on me after very little use. So far (about 2 years) I haven't had any issues with my Micro tuners! Love um.
    I like the micros. I have them on my Tenor Banjo,mandolin,octave mando. They just live up on the head full time. I don't know from accurate. All I know is that they tune all of my instruments fine to my ears,and I always seem to be in tune at sessions.That's good enough for me.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    They just live up on the head full time.
    That's one of my favorite things about the D'Addario NS Micro. It stays on even when I place the instrument back in its case.

I play bass, guitar, mando, and banjo. The ONLY tuner I have found that tunes all instruments quickly and accurately is the Korg. I have the AW2, which is now not available. I tried the peterson, too fussy could not tune all 4 strings on my mando. I like the mechanics of the d'addario, but is is a bit harder for me to use. My complaints about the Korg: battery door too loose, and the clip/ball joint assembly is stupid. I prefer them still because no matter what I am playing, they work. I wish they still made them, my kids keep stealing mine.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vince f View Post
    I play bass, guitar, mando, and banjo. The ONLY tuner I have found that tunes all instruments quickly and accurately is the Korg. I have the AW2, which is now not available. I tried the peterson, too fussy could not tune all 4 strings on my mando. ....
    The original silver Peterson Strobe clip was very fussy, but the new black model is much more stable and has an easier display to see. I always had trouble seeing the Korg AW2 display when there was any bright light around.
    Last edited by Phil Goodson; Nov-27-2018 at 3:58pm.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

The gooseneck on the Snark will inevitably break. The D'Addario headstock tuner avoids that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by vince f View Post
    I play bass, guitar, mando, and banjo. The ONLY tuner I have found that tunes all instruments quickly and accurately is the Korg. I have the AW2, which is now not available. I tried the peterson, too fussy could not tune all 4 strings on my mando. I like the mechanics of the d'addario, but is is a bit harder for me to use. My complaints about the Korg: battery door too loose, and the clip/ball joint assembly is stupid. I prefer them still because no matter what I am playing, they work. I wish they still made them, my kids keep stealing mine.
    Try the Korg GA custom. It is the best, inexpensive small handheld tuner I have ever used. It is extremely accurate and has a very easy to read display that is kind of 3d. Very cool!

I have a Korg CA-1 that I find to be more sensitive than my red Snark, but I use the Snark more often and it is sensitive enough. The convenience of the clip-on Snark beats out the non-clip-on Korg.

The socket that receives the ball in the neck joint of my Snark broke, but I simply mixed a small ball of epoxy putty, stuck it back together at the right angle, and done for life. It doesn't swivel, but it hasn't broken yet.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

27. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Astro 

Polytune, Peterson and Korg Sledgehammer Pro are my 3 choices. The NS Micro is too small for me to read easily.

Do keep a Snark in each gigbag. Either to loan out, or as a backup if something goes wrong. Also have a tuner app on my phone.

The fiddler in our band has a very good ear and likes the fact I've switched to strobe tuners. Although her ear is still maybe a bit better than the strobe. At least I trust it more.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have 3 Snarks - 2 Red & one Black. All 3 work extremely well for me. Using any of my tuning forks,all 3 are spot on pitch when tested.
    I sidelined my Polytune tuner a while back. I simply couldn't stand the way the indicator bar line constantly zipped up & down. That,plus the fact that i could only attach it to one spot on my mandolin headstock in order to see the tuning indicator,made it far less 'user friendly' for me - purely my personal taste.
    I still use a tuning fork to tune my banjo. Totally none adjustable pitch / no readout / no battery required & 100% accurate !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

30. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I have bought a lot of tuners over the years. I mean a lot!

I have had three Snarks, all red ones. One had the rubber pads come off. Snark sent me new ones and I glued them on. Two of the Snarks broke at the junction between the tuner body and that curved connecting arm that goes from the body to the clip. I am done with Snarks.

My current favorite is the DeltaLab CT-30. It swivels really well into any position you like, the color display is really bright and sharp, it has good features on it and it has just the right level of accuracy: Not so sensitive you have to chase the needle, but sensitive enough that if it locks on a note, you are not going to hear anything off.

I play bass (electric and upright), guitar, and mandolin. I have used my Snark on all of them and never had a problem.