Thread: Jams around Fredericksburg, Virginia

Default Jams around Fredericksburg, Virginia

I think I'm almost ready to look for somewhere to play with others in public (already make a lot of noise with the family, but that's another story!), and am looking for things around the Fredericksburg, Virginia area- basically half-way between NoVa and Richmond.

I've found a few things in other threads- the Sunken Well on Sundays, Ric Bergstrom's weekly email (Ricbergstrom at gmail.com) - and a few dead links (https://www.brownbearsw.com/freecal/...music.virginia , for example), but was wondering what else I was missing. Or should I just go down and take pictures of the bulletin board outside of Picker's Supply?
    Eastman MD305, American Conservatory bowlback
    Martin D-15, Goya (Levin) G-10
    Bevy of high whistles, and a Howard Low D
    GoldTone MicroBass Fretless (when the wife lets me steal it!)

Default Re: Jams around Fredericksburg, Virginia

Former long time resident of Spotsylvania County here. I would advise you to just hang around in Picker’s Supply for a while and strike up some conversations with the folks there. Bluegrass is so popular in that area! There have got to be a lot of pickin’ opportunities around! Don’t know about Celtic or Old Time scene though. But Picker’s is the place to go to find out!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Depends on how far you would want to drive with the traffic madness on I-95.
    There are plenty of jams in the D.C. metro area. Check out the dcbu.org calendar.
    There is also a Sunday jam in Warrenton (not every Sunday) on 12/09 from 2-5 (also listed in the dcbu calendar)
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

5. The following members say thank you to Manfred Hacker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Former long time resident of Spotsylvania County here. I would advise you to just hang around in Picker’s Supply for a while and strike up some conversations with the folks there. Bluegrass is so popular in that area! There have got to be a lot of pickin’ opportunities around! Don’t know about Celtic or Old Time scene though. But Picker’s is the place to go to find out!
    I guessed that'd be no small part of it- although that's store is shockingly dangerous to my wallet, and is how I ended up with a MicroBass in the house...!

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Hacker View Post
    Depends on how far you would want to drive with the traffic madness on I-95.
    There are plenty of jams in the D.C. metro area. Check out the dcbu.org calendar.
    There is also a Sunday jam in Warrenton (not every Sunday) on 12/09 from 2-5 (also listed in the dcbu calendar)
    I'll admit to a strong desire to avoid 95, particularly north of me, as much as possible, but music sometimes demands sacrifices! Thanks for pointing to the DC Bluegrass Union; hopefully I can grab some of the more outlying things (or find things that work when I'm up in NoVa for work anyways).
    Eastman MD305, American Conservatory bowlback
    Martin D-15, Goya (Levin) G-10
    Bevy of high whistles, and a Howard Low D
    GoldTone MicroBass Fretless (when the wife lets me steal it!)

Richmond has some good jams. The every Sunday jam at the Cary St. Cafe is very welcoming, although the players there are really good and play really fast. If you are willing to hang back, you can learn a lot, though.

I have heard good things about a huge jam at Jahnke Road Baptist Church 7-10 pm on the first Tuesday of each month. They supposedly have different rooms for old-time, bluegrass, country, etc. There is a spin-off of that jam on the fourth Tuesday of the month from 7 - 9:30 pm at The Nature Center at Chesterfield County’s Rockwood Park.

8. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

The Jahnke Road Baptist Church jam has ended. It must have had a 20 year run, but interest waned.

The Rockwood Park Nature Center Jam has moved to the fourth Wednesday. A new old-time jam has popped up at some brewery north of Richmond, near Virginia Center Commons. Haven't been, but fun folks are going. I may need to do some digging to get that place's name. (Haven't been.)

There is some Irish/Celtic jam down in Shockoe bottom - Rosies is the name of the Irish pub. Can't recall when that jam occurs. It may be weekly?

There's been a jam at Legends brewery for decades. It may be the third Wednesday? Haven't been in quite some time. Call them.

Ric's email will show others.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Hello from another spotsy resident. Although not in Fredericksburg. I think the colonial tavern has a bluegrass or acoustic open mike night once a week, Monday’s or Tuesday’s. Check out the calendar on the website. The Fredericksburg Blues Society has a open circle acoustic blues jam one Saturday a month there as well. I know its not blue grass, but i will sit in on occasions and play my mandolin. It’s good for me to try different styles out in the open on the mandolin.

If the ride isn’t too much, Every Thursday there is a decent jam in Louisa. Which is about a half hour from the mall in spotsy. It’s at a place called Cars Guitars and More. They dont sell cars anymore, but the Thursday’s night bluegrass jam has picked up over the years. Some nights there are 25 people in the garage/jam room. Sometimes only ten. They range in skill level from beginners to local area folks that play out often. Very welcoming. Lots of guitars, a few banjos, a stand up bass or two on some nights, and a few mandolins. No pressure, play when you want, if your up to taking a solo and they come your way, just jump in, or pass. The owner usually provides coffee and some pastry’s, most folks will put a dollar or two into the jar to help cover his cost. Not sure if I can make it out there tonight, but I am trying to get out there more frequently. If you go, my user name here would be recognized by the owner. Tell him we sent ya down. You will have fun!
    Its not a backwards guitar.