Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP - John Baxter of Mandozine

Blog Entries

Default RIP - John Baxter of Mandozine

The confirmation we didn't want to see but felt was true finally appeared on the Mandozine Facebook page. John Baxter passed away according to a family member. On behalf of the Mandolin Cafe and mandolin community that visits us at large, our condolences to John's family and friends.

https://www.facebook.com/Mandozine

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: RIP - John Baxter of Mandozine

John's reached spread far beyond those that had the privilege to call him friend. Mandozine was a significant contribution to the community.

RIP
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Deeply sorry to hear about this.

I will miss John's work a great deal and I will miss or occasional email chats.

My condolences to his family, who must be feeling his loss keenly right now.

Daniel

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Nestlerode For This Useful Post:

Very sorry to see this, my deepest condolences.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

At least half of my repertoire is thanks to John and Mandozine. Rest In Peace my friend!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

feel I've known the man for the last 20 years. RIP Mr. Baxter. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

This thread got me to head over to mandozine.com home page and start browsing through menus and links. It had been a while since I last did that (I almost always just go straight to the tef file search page). What a vast collection of mandolinia. I hope the site is maintained. It is a treasure.

I, too, have used the mandozine.com library of tef files extensively in my search for tunes.
    Last edited by HonketyHank; Nov-26-2018 at 5:09pm.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Such sad news. I agree with HonketyHank's sentiments, and others, his website is a valuable treasure trove of mandolinia, and I used it often. I never got to meet John, but found him to be friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful in a few email conversations. Farewell to a fellow Texan and a giant in his contributions to the mandolin community.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

My condolences to his family for their loss. He was a valued member of and contributor to the mandolin world.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

May peace be with you John Baxter.........

Blog Entries

There'll be something on the front page honoring John a bit more than this starting tomorrow morning. I never met John in person but he was always very kind online and we had a chat about kids when my daughter was born--she's 22 now. John cared for his own daughter through hospice up till her death when she was in her 30s which is almost more than one can imagine as a parent, and something that stuck in my mind. Most of you may not remember at one time he was a VP at Apple Computer but I sensed this was in the time before one cashed out with lots of zeroes in their final check. He was one of the early ones on the web promoting mandolin, something that to my mind has pretty much gone by the wayside with social media. It's a very different landscape, one I can't say I fully endorse but then I come from that same time frame, even a few years earlier. Some of you will think it's better now, some won't. Best not to get into that discussion here and there's plenty room for it elsewhere. I have a pretty good idea what he had to do to build those web sites with all of that content and have a lot of respect for that. He will be missed.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

John was a kind soul and a big friend of the mandolin community. I'll miss him and sending condolences to his family.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dawg For This Useful Post:

I never met John in person, but knew him through the Internet going way back to the CoMando ListServ days. He archived a bunch of the "Guest of the Week" interviews from way back then on Mandozine along with that huge TablEdit library. My condolences to all his family and friends. He was a good man.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to pay my respects. His work helped me immensely getting off the ground. Im sure countless others can say the same
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

I dropped a few charts in the Tabledit files but John gave back way more than I could ever contribute. Rest In Peace and my condolences to his family.

Larry
    Larry

2000 Unicorn and Mustang LF-5
    2002 Manoel Andrade Bandolim
    2020 Ellis Traditional F-5

23. The following members say thank you to lklose for this post:

teleman4200

I never met this great man but I do know his contribution to the mandolin world was vast. I to have used tabledit for many years. May his family find peace in this trying time. God be with them.

One of the nicest people I have ever met. Love to his family and all of us who were lucky enough to know him.

Thank you John for your friendship.
    love,
    donnie

One of the kindest, most generous, thoughtful, wise and amazingly modest people I have ever known.
    I have been spending some time reading some of the messages we have exchanged over the last 16-17 years or so, up until a few weeks ago.
    He will be sorely missed.

May peace be with you, dear friend.

Such sad news. My condolences to John Baxter's family and closest friends. May he rest in peace.

A terrific person. Very generous. He will be missed by many. Rest in peace John.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    At least half of my repertoire is thanks to John and Mandozine. Rest In Peace my friend!
    I echo Shaun's words the Mandozine site is such an amazing mandolin resource for ALL kinds of music -- add to that the fact that they put the tabs into TablEdit as well -- so you can "play" the tabs and change the key etc.-- just terrific. I never had a chance to meet John Baxter but did exchange emails with him once -- such a pleasant experience. Reading Scott's account of the things he had to bear in his lifetime makes my troubles seem small in comparison. Sad news indeed and all the best for his family and friends.

I was noting that their is no mention of his passing on the Mandozine web page -- maybe he was the only webmaster for it?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Our community has lost a great friend and advocate for the mandolin. My condolences to his family and loved ones.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Sad news. He was a very cool guy with a great big heart. He did much to promote our little instrument in the early days of computers before these super highway things.
    Thanks for all you did to help us John. You'll be missed.

32. The following members say thank you to Mike Marshall for this post:

....Rest in Peace John and blessings to your family.....TablEdit....holy cow what a great tool, still have it, still use it.....
    2014 Steven Holst "Kay style' X-braced
    Lots of sustain and tonal range,
    Just what the Swing Doctor ordered!
    2008 Breedlove FF
    Fat and Woody!
    2003? David Hodson "Djangolin" Punchy
    Hot Jazzed, Choro-ed, and Swung
    Peace & Vision, Lorenzo

That's a shame and I am sorry to hear. John's website was there in the beginning with plenty to share and I was grateful for his Mandozine Radio.

RIP