Thread: Considering purchasing an Eastman MDA315...

Default Considering purchasing an Eastman MDA315...

... and I have questions :D

1. Anyone here has direct experience with them? What are your thoughts?

2. What pickup would you recommend so I can play it live?

Thanks!

Default Re: Considering purchasing an Eastman MDA315...

I've never played an Eastman MDA315, but I have a lot of experience installing JJB PPS-200 pickups in many instruments including mandolin, violin, mandola, viola, octave mando, mandocello, banjo, resonators, guitars and upright bass. Which way you go with a pickup depends on what you want to spend, what modifications (if any) you want to make, your luthier skills, playing environment, etc. There are several hundred posts over the years on this subject over at the Equipment sub-forum.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Lots of luck finding one. They’re scarce as hen’s teeth.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Lots of luck finding one. They’re scarce as hen’s teeth.
    2 Available here:
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola https://reverb.com/item/14470136-eastman-mda315-mandola

6. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

If you manage to get one, there is always the option of a clip-on mini condenser mic like an AT Pro 35 or DPA 4099 instead of an installed pickup. That's what I've used on both my Lebeda mandolin and my Weber OM: the DPA 4099. You get the advantage of a more natural sound than any pickup (IMO), and without any modifications to the instrument.

Just my opinion, but I think the only real advantage a pickup has over a clip-on mic is better gain before feedback on a very loud stage (louder than most of us probably deal with), and a plug-in convenience, vs. having to remove and install the clip-on mic at the gig. For me, the audio quality of a mic is worth it.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

There are those here much more qualified than myself to make a recommendation but I have to second a clip on condenser mic or as I prefer on a stand rather than a clip-on. My instruments are all equipped with K & K Twins (which are often recommended on this site) but only use them when convenience demands as I think I achieve a better acoustic sound with the mics.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

9. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

I am not adverse to hiring someone to install the pickup. I gig a bunch, so to me the gear just has to work, every time, period. If that means hiring someone who knows what they're doing better than I do, man I am pumped I found them :D

As for the mandola itself, I still would love to have some feedback if someone here has played or owned one!

I own one, and personally I love it. It's got good tone and playability, a nice strong C course, but it's not particularly loud. You will definitely need a pick up if you plan to use it for gigs.

Late to the thread, but i love mine. My only point of reference is my other mandola, which is a Jimmy Moon flat top. Not surprisingly, they're completely different beasts. The Eastman had less sustain and fewer overtones, but I prefer its sound. I find that i also prefer lighter strings on the eastman.

Now if i could just find a way to not screw up every tune by just once inadvertently dropping in a mandolin chord fingering it would be perfect, but that may be operator error.

Now if i could just find a way to not screw up every tune by just once inadvertently dropping in a mandolin chord fingering it would be perfect, but that may be operator error.

Touche!!