Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) family American Conservatory mandolin questions

Default New (to me) family American Conservatory mandolin questions

I picked up the mandolin this August, and have been very happy with my little Eastman. My grandmother found out what I’d been up, and gave me her old one as well- an American Conservatory bowlback, with a serial that looks like 145277.

I know I should be looking at ultra-light strings, but haven’t been able to find a ton of other information about it. Anything in particular I should take a look at before trying to bring it to tune? And other than the Eastman case, is eBay still my best bet to find a case without the extensive duct-tape repairs my grandfather effected?

Thanks for the help- if I can figure out pictures, I’ll attach them as well.

Default Re: New (to me) family American Conservatory mandolin questions

Attempting pictures try one...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B9F1BD8A-8BFC-4DE3-A64C-4FAF2E4189D9.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	358.0 KB 
ID:	172903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1FBAC091-73CE-47EF-A079-363CF7F1EABB.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	172902

I bought a bowlback hard case from Elderly Instruments (NFI). I use gig bags in the house (I have more than one bowlback) but bought a hard case in case I decide to take one out of the house to play.

4. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

I’m realizing I haven’t seen any gig bags that indicated they’d work for bowlback- are there ones known to work, or am I just not reading item descriptions carefully enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I bought a bowlback hard case from Elderly Instruments (NFI). I use gig bags in the house (I have more than one bowlback) but bought a hard case in case I decide to take one out of the house to play.

I have never found a source of ultra-light ball-end strings, curious if you know of any.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

I used to buy on ebay an excellent foam bowlback case for under $50. It was sold by a dealer named violinking but they do not seem to be online any more.

I also bought one of these Warwick Rockbags whch are quite nice gig bags and designed for bowlback mandolins. I the only source I can find it the manufacturer in Germany: RockBag Premium Line - Round Mandolin Gig Bag

Maybe you could contact them and see if there are any dealers near you who carry this or could order it for you.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ceejengine View Post
    I picked up the mandolin this August, and have been very happy with my little Eastman. My grandmother found out what I’d been up, and gave me her old one as well- an American Conservatory bowlback, with a serial that looks like 145277.

I know I should be looking at ultra-light strings, but haven’t been able to find a ton of other information about it. Anything in particular I should take a look at before trying to bring it to tune? And other than the Eastman case, is eBay still my best bet to find a case without the extensive duct-tape repairs my grandfather effected?

Thanks for the help- if I can figure out pictures, I’ll attach them as well.
    Hi - I just did a quick check on the interwebs….one of the vendors advertised on the Café - Elderly Instruments - offers a bowl back mandolin case that (depending on your instrument's dimensions) might be worth considering. NFI.

Hope this helps!

Tammy
    Tammy

2006 Weber Bitterroot F
    October 2009 Breedlove Quartz OO
    Martin Backpacker Mandolin

10. The following members say thank you to TC-in-NC for this post:

Links always help. Tammy, do you mean this chipboard case?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mccb-rb.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	172907
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I used to buy on ebay an excellent foam bowlback case for under $50. It was sold by a dealer named violinking but they do not seem to be online any more...
    Gary is online on Reverb as GLMusicStore. I have no idea if he's still selling those cases.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Gary is online on Reverb as GLMusicStore. I have no idea if he's still selling those cases.
    Thanks, Mike. I never new them as GL Music. I had an aol address direct to a woman at violinking. I guess they were the last seller who had them on eBay as houstonbrass?

I have no need for anymore for those but they were great—protective, very light with room for picks etc and came with two straps to carry. They were under $50, too. I think I own at least three of them.

Name:	violinking_foamcase..jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	172908
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Ok, somehow I got lucky with google today when previous attempts failed, this has been holding me back from buying a bowlback, but here is a source of ultra-light ball end strings:

http://cliffordessex.net/index.php?_...d&productId=55

They appear to be in London.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Those foam cases look like they’d be ideal- a pity it doesn’t look like they have any in their current stock! I’d found mention of the chipboard and RockBag; off to see if I can’t find a dealer for the RockBag that will ship me the bag for less than the cost of it in the first place!

I get my GHS ultra light 09-32 A240 set of strings from Strings and Beyond- very competitive on price as well but they are LOOP -ENDED.

Why all this talk about ball end ultra light strings? Loop end should work fine on that tailpiece I think. You are right about using ultra lights. Lots of instruments like that go ruined by being strung to heavily by folks who just didnt know any better.

Your American Conservatory mandolin is made in the USA, probably by Lyon and Healy or Oscar Schmidt. Probable age is 1900-1920. Looks to be a mid-line instrument, not the fanciest or the simplest. Also looks to be in excellent condition for its age. Should make a nice player. Unfortunately not of high monetary value. Worth maybe a couple of hundred bucks. Numerous ones like that go unsold on eBay every day. The demand for bowlbacks just isn’t there. But of course your instrument has sentimental value as a family heirloom. Priceless. As stated above, string it with ultra lites, get a hard case for it (even the chipboard case would be better than the bag IMHO), and play it and enjoy it!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Mike. I never new them as GL Music. I had an aol address direct to a woman at violinking. I guess they were the last seller who had them on eBay as houstonbrass?

I have no need for anymore for those but they were great—protective, very light with room for picks etc and came with two straps to carry. They were under $50, too. I think I own at least three of them.

Name:	violinking_foamcase..jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	172908
    If you do business with Gary it will be at the houstonbrass AOL address.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Why all this talk about ball end ultra light strings? Loop end should work fine on that tailpiece I think. You are right about using ultra lights. Lots of instruments like that go ruined by being strung to heavily by folks who just didnt know any better.

Your American Conservatory mandolin is made in the USA, probably by Lyon and Healy or Oscar Schmidt. Probable age is 1900-1920. Looks to be a mid-line instrument, not the fanciest or the simplest. Also looks to be in excellent condition for its age. Should make a nice player. Unfortunately not of high monetary value. Worth maybe a couple of hundred bucks. Numerous ones like that go unsold on eBay every day. The demand for bowlbacks just isn’t there. But of course your instrument has sentimental value as a family heirloom. Priceless. As stated above, string it with ultra lites, get a hard case for it (even the chipboard case would be better than the bag IMHO), and play it and enjoy it!
    Thanks for the detailed reply- apologies for seeding so many questions in a wall of text! I'd managed to get to 1900-1920, but didn't know enough about the instrument to have an idea of grade or comparative condition- I really appreciate you sharing your experience. I definitely plan on keeping and playing the instrument, so value isn't a huge concern

If the Eastman case will fit it, I suspect that's where I'll end up- I already have a Goya G-10 that belonged to my grandfather whose case is worth about as much as the instrument, so it seems about right for another family piece

Before I try and bring it to tune, is there anything I should check on or pay attention to?

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    I get my GHS ultra light 09-32 A240 set of strings from Strings and Beyond- very competitive on price as well but they are LOOP -ENDED.
    Thanks for the help- I've found GHS 240s mentioned very frequently in other threads and conversations about bowlbacks, so I think that's the first thing I'll pull the trigger on.

Strings and Beyond have sent me an email to suggest they have 20% off just for today-"CyberMonday" which will mean an even better deal on the strings.

I always tune up to pitch very carefully first time on a new old instrument. I am making sure the tuner units turn okay and do not get too tight to turn. I am concerned that strings might slip- although that rarely happens if they have been wound on properly and just look and listen to check nothing nasty is happening around the bridge or where the headstock may be joined to the neck or the neck heel to the body. However, the chances are everything will be fine but just take care and work slowly and methodically. I like to have a tuned mandolin to hand to remind me of the pitch of the string I need to match and work up to it with care.

I have seen it suggested that older mandolins with this brand may have been made by Regal for Lyon & Healy. The rather complicated relationship between Regal and Lyon & Healy and who made what and for whom is beyond my comprehension I am afraid- it is convoluted.
    Last edited by NickR; Nov-26-2018 at 11:30am.

26. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

I used to buy on ebay an excellent foam bowlback case for under $50. It was sold by a dealer named violinking but they do not seem to be online any more.

I also bought one of these Warwick Rockbags whch are quite nice gig bags and designed for bowlback mandolins. I the only source I can find it the manufacturer in Germany: RockBag Premium Line - Round Mandolin Gig Bag

Maybe you could contact them and see if there are any dealers near you who carry this or could order it for you.
    I went ahead and asked them if they had any dealers in the US- and heard back almost instantly from the CEO. Unfortunately, the answer is no, but I was impressed with how fast they answered the question.
    Eastman MD305, American Conservatory bowlback
    Martin D-15, Goya (Levin) G-10
    Bevy of high whistles, and a Howard Low D
    GoldTone MicroBass Fretless (when the wife lets me steal it!)

Jim, I think I found it in a thread you replied to from circa 2005, but I found another alternative hard-sided case available in the US- a Viking Standard, from Hobgoblin USA.

Added to the Eastman fiberglass case, and the chipboard special, at least there's a spread of options!

I suppose I should've asked in the previous: for American Conservatory mandolins, does anyone have a sense of if I be worried about the fit in any of the above cases? From previous threads, I gathered that while sandwiches fit in many of them, there are some fit issues for certain bowlbacks.

Thanks- this is TREMENDOUSLY helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Strings and Beyond have sent me an email to suggest they have 20% off just for today-"CyberMonday" which will mean an even better deal on the strings.

I always tune up to pitch very carefully first time on a new old instrument. I am making sure the tuner units turn okay and do not get too tight to turn. I am concerned that strings might slip- although that rarely happens if they have been wound on properly and just look and listen to check nothing nasty is happening around the bridge or where the headstock may be joined to the neck or the neck heel to the body. However, the chances are everything will be fine but just take care and work slowly and methodically. I like to have a tuned mandolin to hand to remind me of the pitch of the string I need to match and work up to it with care.

I have seen it suggested that older mandolins with this brand may have been made by Regal for Lyon & Healy. The rather complicated relationship between Regal and Lyon & Healy and who made what and for whom is beyond my comprehension I am afraid- it is convoluted.

Regarding fit, Elderly says the chipboard case fits instruments up to 8” wide, 6 1/2” deep, and 25 3/4” long. The Eastman case says it fits up to 8” wide, 6” deep, and 26” long. One choice that hasn’t been mentioned is the Viking wood hard shell case carried by Hobgoblin Music for 120 dollars. There are no dimensions given but the site says it “fits most bowlbacks”.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

32. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ceejengine View Post
    I’m realizing I haven’t seen any gig bags that indicated they’d work for bowlback- are there ones known to work, or am I just not reading item descriptions carefully enough?
    I have several bowlbacks (American Conservatory, Lyon and Healy, Puglisi, and (I forget the other one, I've been sick and my brain is not sharp today,)) I bought Stagg bags (NFI) which fit all of them. I don't know if Stagg bags are made anymore, but if you can find them, they were reasonably priced and do the job of keeping cat and dog hair and other debris off of them, and are protective enough for home use.

34. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    One choice that hasn’t been mentioned is the Viking wood hard shell case carried by Hobgoblin Music for 120 dollars. There are no dimensions given but the site says it “fits most bowlbacks”.
    See post #20.

If you are going to spend that much, I think I would spend a bit more and get the Eastman case. I have three of those for my upperend bowlbacks. Very protective.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

36. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: