Thread: Celtic session in Concord NH area?

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Default Celtic session in Concord NH area?

I'm anticipating a move to that region, hoping I can find a regular scene as friendly as I have in northern Vermont. Thanks for any leads. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Default Re: Celtic session in Concord NH area?

David Surette would know. He's a fantastic Celtic player and he leads the March Mandolin Festival Each year in Concord. He and his wife / musical partner can be found at www.burkesurette.com/.

Or check in at Concord Community Music School: www.ccmusicschool.org/.

There’s a session at the Barley House right in Concord, and I know there is one in Lebanon, NH.

http://concord.thebarleyhouse.com/music-events

Also this place in Manchester. http://theshaskeenpub.com/irish-sessions/

You might also check http:www.thesessions.org website
    https://thesession.org/sessions/sear...New+Hampshire+
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Paul Wheeler

Thanks, A-board. I've been a fan of David Surette for several years, and he was going to be my fallback source. I get his and Suzie Burke's periodic schedule of upcoming performances, and am looking forward to more of those.

Mandobar, those are the kind of leads I was hoping for, and thanks for directing me back to The Session, which I find more user-friendly than the last time I ventured there, oh-so-long ago. The "nearby sessions" feature is irresistable clickbait!

Both of you: hoping our paths cross sometime. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Blog Entries

I started studying with David just a couple of months ago. Lots of fun to work with.

I live in Wakefield (about an hour away) let me know what you find and I might swing by.

I'm not much of an Irish player (unless you count Irish Punk) but it would be nice to see live music.

Also, I second the Concord Community Music School.

Are you looking for open sessions or something more "class" oriented?

C

The best way to learn to play with folks is going to sessions, and sessions that will challenge you to continue to expand your repertoire and your skill set.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Paul Wheeler

Some planets may be coming into alignment for me. My son (who lives near Concord) has been encouraging me to check out Peterborough for its similarity to Saint Albans. And, following the "clickbait" on The Session as noted above, I found a lead for sessions at Cooper's Hill Public House, which potentially could clinch the decision where to move. Road trip coming up shortly.

I'd be remiss not to put in a plug here for the Irish trad session I'll have to leave behind, meeting every first and third Thursday 7-9 pm at Jericho Cafe and Tavern (JCaT) in Jericho VT. Only the cutest granddaughter on the planet could entice me away from my dear friends at JCaT. If you check us out you can be sure of a friendly welcome. The pace is mostly relaxed intermediate-level but we can step it up from time to time. (And, I should add, some of us can seriously fly!) -- Paul

Hey, Paul, did you know Sean Casey? He was an Irish musician that lived up near St Albans. I heard he has since passed away though.

Paul Wheeler

Mary, I don't believe I ever met him. During my working/kid-rearing years we lived in Jericho. When I retired in mid-2017 we moved here (north, forsooth!) to be closer to my wife's extensive family and aging parents, there being no granddaughter at the time to pull us southward.

The "core" of our JCaT group is present and past students of Hilary Farrington (accordion) and Benedict Koehler (uillean pipes -- playing and building them) whom many may know from the annual Catskill Irish Arts gathering. They occasionally join us in Jericho, but are more likely to be encountered at the weekly session at Bagitos in Montpelier. -- Paul

Session every Sunday afternoon 2-5 at Beara Brewery in Portsmouth NH. Open jam in Lee most Wednesday evenings (see Captain Fiddle on web). Monday evening session in Methuen MA at Fireside Restaurant ( call for details).

I think he might be looking more for something in the Concord area. Portsmouth is a little over an hour and Methuen is a bit of a hike. The one in Lebanon, NH was run by Randy Miller (brother to Rodney) and is a pretty lively session.

Hey Paul, come and check out the Concord session on Tuesdays. Nice bunch of folks, good tunes. I teach at the school on Tuesdays, so I often swing by after teaching for some tunes and a beer. We had about a dozen folks this week, lots of regulars plus a great piper who was visiting (Anthony Santoro) and a great piper who was playing banjo and low whistle (Paddy Keenan).

Paul Wheeler

One: welcome to the Cafe, Valerie, and thanks for your suggestion. Portsmouth isn't that far away if a brewery is involved.

Two: thanks, David, for endorsing the Concord Tuesday-night session which I presume is at the Barley House. Some comments I've seen on the internet suggested that was essentially a closed session, so I'm reassured. BTW, Anthony Santoro is well known in the Burlington VT area, though I don't recall him ever dropping in at JCaT; I did play with him at Radio Bean a few times, long ago.

Three: people keep mentioning Lebanon NH . . . is that the Salt Hill Pub? Some internet comments suggest a session at the Salt Hill Pub in Hanover instead.

So many sessions, so little time! -- Paul

Paul, yes, I think it is actually Hanover.