Thread: Magnetic mandolin pickups by Tap

Default Magnetic mandolin pickups by Tap

Did anybody try one of the magnetic mandolin pickups by Tap? They are quite cheap.
    Are they good? Are there any recordings online?
    I am thinking of ordering one for my Kentucky km-272 (oval hole)

Default Re: Magnetic mandolin pickups by Tap

I googled "magnetic mandolin pickups by Tap" and got this. Is that what you're asking about?

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I don't know about these, but I do know Café member Pete Mallinson (Soundfarmer Pete) of Almuse mandolin has an active sound-hole drop-in pickup. I have a Moongazer installed on Stealie, and think he does great work.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I googled "magnetic mandolin pickups by Tap" and got this. Is that what you're asking about?
    Yes, I ment these. They have several models. I am interested to get info about them as they're cheap and seem to be relatively easy to install. I have similar pickups on my Greek bouzoukis, but has never seen similar ones on mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    I don't know about these, but I do know Café member Pete Mallinson (Soundfarmer Pete) of Almuse mandolin has an active sound-hole drop-in pickup. I have a Moongazer installed on Stealie, and think he does great work.
    The Almuse pickups seem to be replacement pickups for already wired electric mandolins, while I would like to install a pickup on an acoustic mandolin.

Interesting pickups - and seem only to be available from thomman? They have quite a range though...

You may want to check out pickups from Marshall Hammett, here is an old thread about them. I have one much smaller than the one in the thread.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...t-Works-for-Me
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You may want to check out pickups from Marshall Hammett, here is an old thread about them. I have one much smaller than the one in the thread.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...t-Works-for-Me
    Thanks Pops1. I tried looking at the Marshall Hammett website, but it doesn't seem to have pickup models, prices or anything.
    From the pictures in the Mandolin-Cafe thread and the website, it seems that the Marshall Hammett pickups have wires sticking out of them on top of the mandolin. I don't want to use sticking tapes or anything like that - it is always a bother.
    I would prefer to have something robust - drill a hole for the PL plug in the mandolin side and attach the pickup with a screw, like it is done in the magnetic bouzouki pickups. Note that I didn't try the Tap pickups or any similar ones, and that's why I made this Post.

The pickup I have from Marshall is very small, I think he makes them thinner too. You could easily mount it with something of your own design and run the wires thru the sound hole to an end pin jack, or carpenter jack. I have not heard of the Tap pickups until your post.

I got in contact with Marshall and ask for a pickup, I think he could make you about anything you want.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I had a 4-string (single course) mandola with a humbucker pickup for a while -- the Breedlove "Zenkl" model designed for fingerstyle playing. The pickup was glued flush to the end of the squared-off fretboard, which kept it off the soundboard. The pickup wire ran into the body through the top of the treble side F-hole, then out through a 1/4" jack at the tailpiece. The wiring wasn't noticeable at a distance.

That TAP pickup looks like it might be a single coil design since it's very thin. I once had a thin single coil mag pickup (Lace) on a National resonator guitar. It had a decent tone (for a mag pickup), but it was very prone to buzzing from fluorescent lights, ceiling fans, and computer electronics. Take that into consideration when thinking about a magnetic pickup. The humbucker on the Breedlove I had for a while was very quiet.

12. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post: