Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandocello solo and duo recordings playlist

Default Re: Mandocello solo and duo recordings playlist

John Goodin: Autumn Suite , November 2020
    1. Amber - 0:00
    2. Russet - 1:27

It was with great sadness that I heard of the passing of John Goodin last week. John was a good musical friend, a constant inspiration, and offered great support to my (sometimes fumbling) attempts at playing his music. Over the years, I have recorded 49 of his compositions on my channel. I have been revisting some old favourites and some of his newer compositions this week in his memory.

Over the past couple of years, John wrote four seasonal suites for solo mandocello (or octave mandolin). This was the fourth suite to complete the set. There are five movements, of which I have recorded the first two in this video. The score and John's own recording (on OM) are here:

https://somanytunes.blogspot.com/202...ndolin-or.html

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello (solo)

Martin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

I am sure many of us join you in this sense of loss; Thank you for posting and promoting John's music. And thank you for your contributions to mandocello repertoire, I have included your work in my CMSA Mandocello presentations and will do so again at this year's Convention in the Clouds.
    jim

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Here is another tune for my mandocello playlist.

"Song Of The Chanter" (or "The Chanter's Tune"), Irish pipe march

I'm playing the tune five times through on the mandocello. After the first repeat, I add tenor guitar arpeggios over the chord progression from Allan Alexander's book "Celtic Music for Mandolin". For repeats 3 and 4 I add Allan's first variation of the tune as a discant counter melody on mandolin.

The tune is normally considered to be in D Mixolydian, but my accompaniment is in D Dorian instead (i.e. F naturals rather than F sharps). Makes no difference to the tune itself as it does not contain any F (whether sharp or natural). It has a distinctly renaissance feel played this way.

Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin

Martin

Martin, I want you to know I sang your praises at the CMSA Mandocello in the 21st Century session last night. I told a group of 20-some players that no one has posted more--and a greater variety of music for mandocello. I included your website in my packet of materials along with pages and pages of new music. Thank you for your contributions, and let's keep promoting this wonderful instrument.
    jim

Thanks for the kind words, Jim -- hope the session went well!

Martin