Thread: Strap Advice

Default Strap Advice

I have been looking at the Bailey straps and wonder how soft and comfortable they are. I know they are only 3/4" wide, and I generally prefer a bit wider strap. But if the Bailey is sturdy yet flexible and soft it may be okay. Because these are all custom lengths, I hesitate ordering one only to find I don't like it. I do like the attachment loops and that's a big plus in my opinion.

Any feedback on the Bailey straps will be appreciated.

Default Re: Strap Advice

Since you asked about the Bailey straps I’ll comment on the El Dorado straps....

They are very nice and soft, I had him make me 2 of the ones with the pad for the shoulder...I noticed on Facebook he’s having a special right now, check them out.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I've never thought of straps ever being uncomfortable. I use a bootlace, a round braid, and a Bailey. Thr Bailey is the most substantial and the most well crafted strap I own. The round braid is the most supple leather. I've never thought either was uncomfortable, nor the bootlace for that matter. The Bailey is the work of a fine craftsman, and worth the money.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

I have three Lakota Leather straps-- both braided and flat. Always comfortable, safe for the mando and great looking.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I have a braided Bailey. Its are very nice and I had the color of the leather on the Bailey match the finish (more or less) on my 2 point. Looks great. I think all straps are a bit uncomfortable on the left side of my neck, I play with my collar up, this is no different than my Lakota or a Long and Softie.

One thing to note, as you mentioned, is the length, should you decide to reposition your mandolin higher or lower over time, it would be challenging, especially longer. Probably on an issue only if you play standing up a lot.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Have a look at one of these straps made in the UK by Rod Boyes of Pinegrove Leather - the MS50 strap. It can be used on both an "A" style or "F" style mandolin. I have 2 & they're very comfortable to use.
    https://www.pinegroveleather.com/Lea...p/pg161050.htm
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rod's MS50 Mando.Strap.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	172870
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    I have been looking at the Bailey straps and wonder how soft and comfortable they are. I know they are only 3/4" wide, and I generally prefer a bit wider strap. But if the Bailey is sturdy yet flexible and soft it may be okay. Because these are all custom lengths, I hesitate ordering one only to find I don't like it. I do like the attachment loops and that's a big plus in my opinion.

Any feedback on the Bailey straps will be appreciated.
    I have owned four and I have another on hand for my new Girouard F4 next year ! Soft, wide enough and the best strap I have tried. And- Bill is a great guy !

I have a classic flat braid Bailey that I use on a baritone ukulele. It was a top heavy instrument and I wanted a leather strap with a natural rough back to help control head-drop. It was a little stiff at first but over the years it has softened up nicely. I was concerned when I first got it that the thin leather loop that attaches to the strap button would not hold up well, especially if you take it on and off frequently (which I do) but it has held up fine. This attachment system actually wound up being one of the best features for me, since this large ukulele has a misi pickup which has a jack with a very thin lip and slightly off-size, making it hard to get a secure fit on that end of the strap. The Bailey fit it just right and is very secure. Over time I have changed the length I like a bit and the Bailey can be adjusted a few inches (just a few) in either direction w/o much difficulty. On my mandolin and guitar I went with basic Lakota leather straps. These are sturdy and super soft from day one. I get lots of compliments on the Bailey, but my Lakotas are super comfy.

Not much help unless you're local to me but my favourite strap was made by a local leather worker. Just a simple strap with no adjustment and a shoulder pad, in the colour I wanted.

Last edited by OneChordTrick; Nov-23-2018 at 9:19am. Reason: Adding photo

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I continue to weigh the merits of the Bailey and Lakota. Both are attractive and seem to have satisfied users, and I hope to decide in the near future.

If you have a chance you might want to check out some Randy Hogan straps.

Speaking of straps, Andrew Marlin had what looked like needlepoint sewn into the front of a guitar strap in the recent Mandolin Orange video. Looked like a million bucks. Any ideas who made it?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I’m going back and forth between the Bailey and Lakota too. However...the Lakota is $10 off this weekend for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, so I’m leaning towards a Lakota. I’ve never had either one. I see a lot of posts about both and also about Sullys.

+ vote for Lakota's. They are amazing - super soft - beautiful - I really like the braided ones.

15. The following members say thank you to Rev Tim T for this post:

Love my Sully.

I don't actually understand the need for a strap to be 'comfortable', since the mandolin is so light. I've been making straps for myself and for friends for years and these ones, made of four-strand round braided leather, are only about 6mm wide, and (as far as I am concerned) perfectly comfortable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5044257 edited web.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	172873  

18. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spud3 View Post
    Love my Sully.
    If you like a comforable strap with a wide shoulder piece, Sullys straps are a good option. Here's one for my Bernabe 3pt

Name:	sully strap.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	577.6 KB 
ID:	172888

20. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Iron 

Another vote for Sully. Quality all the way.

22. The following members say thank you to meado for this post:

Iron 

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I don't actually understand the need for a strap to be 'comfortable', since the mandolin is so light. I've been making straps for myself and for friends for years and these ones, made of four-strand round braided leather, are only about 6mm wide, and (as far as I am concerned) perfectly comfortable.
    Nice work Ron. I got my similar strap with a used mandolin, but know they go for around $50.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Kangaroo strap I really like, not sure its true but someone told me Kangaroo is 10x stronger than cowhide ?

Name:	IMG_0266[4534].jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	723.0 KB 
ID:	172892
    MAS Fund.......Up and running again

A Vote for Lakota
    Prefer the flat straps
    Ultra Soft!
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

I have a braided Lakota strap and two straps made by Alan Gelman (advertises in the classifieds, NFI) and they are equally nice, soft, and thin. The straps don't seen to need to be thick, mandolins are not particularly heavy. The nice thing about Gelman straps is they come in different patterns (hand tooled.) Good luck in picking something you like!

I just ordered a Sullys mandolin strap. I will now have to wait because he is out hunting and is not responding until early December. Anticipation!!

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Glad I saw this thread, it sent me shopping to check out all the brands mentioned. I decided to get rid of the wide guitar strap I'm using on my Washburn. Enjoyed shopping all these guys websites a great deal.

In the end, I ordered a Henry Heller flat braided strap from the mandolin store. I was surprised to find a selection of Lakotas there and a few other brands marked down from $50 to $39 in the current sale! Makes me happy to save a few bucks. https://themandolinstore.com/product...ndolin-straps/
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    I just ordered a Sullys mandolin strap. I will now have to wait because he is out hunting and is not responding until early December. Anticipation!!

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.
    Heh. I caught him late last year and he was able to finish mine just before he went out turkey hunting.

It will be worth the wait.