Thread: Original music for SOLO Mandocello

Default Original music for SOLO Mandocello

Mandocello fans, here it is!
    A few months ago, I started a quest for solo music composed specifically on the mandocello to present at the CMSA Convention. No transcriptions, no bowed cello suites, just pluckin’ mandocello. I was surprised first at the response from composers and editors, then again at the response in Santa Rosa: more than twenty people showed up at my presentation, twice the number of registered mandocello players.
    I will try to attach a few of the selections here, but please contact me or the composers if you want to pursue this music further. It’s nice to share music in a public forum, but we also want to respect and support the individuals who created it. In some cases, the contributors told me they were planning to publish their work, and I want to promote rather than diminish their prospects. I want to thank Andy, Brian, Tom, August, Martin, Jim, Bob, and all the people who contributed either compositions or sources, and also the fine people at Mandolin Café who did encourage me to use their site as a central contact point. And I hope this is the beginning of a network of mandocello players looking for something more than "a part."
    Jim
    jfimhoff@msn.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 Boden MC Study.pdf   2 Lucky Strike - Score.pdf   5 Planxty_Turlough.pdf  

8 Bickford Cantabile (bass clef)-1.pdf   10 Expostulation!    Patterson.pdf   6 Perpetual Blue.pdf  

Mandocello Duet in G-1.pdf   CMSA MC Cover.pdf  

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Original music for SOLO Mandocello

Hi Jim,

Thanks for all your efforts in organising this workshop and collating this music -- there are a few intriguing pieces I'll try out soon!

Just a correction: you've credited the transcription of the Bickford Duet in G to me, but I had nothing to do with that. The PDF transcription you have posted comes from a posting by wundo (Bill) on your old thread here on the Cafe (link). I have made a recording of the piece but did not edit or transcribe it in any form. That credit should go to Bill.

Martin

4. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Thanks for the correction Martin; I had so many notes and pdf's I lost track of where some of them came from. And the original Bickford stuff is all in his version of "universal clef," which is the treble clef with a couple lines through it. (Hope I don't start another debating thread on that topic!) But you certainly put a lot of interesting stuff on the cafe, so you should get credit for that. And a few people in the session asked if I was aware of your work, so I am glad I gave you credit even if it was a mistake.
    Apologies to wundo, though.

Thanks, Jim. I can imagine it gets confusing to keep track -- I did transcribe and edit the other Bickford duet you've posted (the Cantabile in E Major), just not the Duet in G. Universal notation is a whole other issue...

Martin

7. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

I am not sure how the Cafe tallies things, but I see almost 400 views of my initial post. I am hoping many of these people actually downloaded the music and are looking at it and playing it now. I would appreciate any suggestions or leads to more such music; I wanted this to be a start, not a one-off. I know the composers and collectors who contributed have more to offer, but I would like to hear if there is in fact the interest for solo mandocello music beyond what we already posted. And I plan to develop another CMSA session (proposal) for future conventions. It should be something more than "Here's a few more numbers." I have read and been told that the mandocello is "an ensemble instrument," and I love playing in the orchestra and in quartets. But there is a wealth of fine music for the solo mandolin, and numerous workshops, camps, and CMSA offerings for that treble 8 stringer. Why don't we get something started in our wonderful bass clef world?
    Hope to hear from you soon, whether here (Thank you Cafe Webmasters!) or at my email <<jfimhoff@msn.com>>.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Posted in Cafe Questions:
    I was surprised at the response to my quest for Solo Mandocello music, and I cannot thank the Cafe people enough--could not have done this without you!
    BUT... I see well over 400 views of the post, which included several pdf's of the actual sheet music contributed for free access by the composers. I have no way of knowing whether those people just looked (disappointing ), or if the actually downloaded (YAY!) the music. I was hoping to get a network of interested MCello players, who get little notice compared to mandolin, octaves, and buzoukis. But the only actual replies were from a couple of the contributors. Is there a way to see if anyone in fact downloaded the music, other than ask 439 (and counting) people to reply?

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Doc James,

Thank you for following through on this. I've downloaded everything, and have sightread through a fair bit of it. One quick question: what do slurs imply? Do they speak purely to phrasing, or is there a specific technique, like a tremolo?

Also, can you give me an idea of how much more solo m'cello music was created by these composers? I'd probably buy every page of it.

Edit: I have no idea how to explain or meter the response here. Could be the holidays have been keeping people away from the Cafe–that's certainly been the case for me. (Among many other things...)
    Last edited by thecelloronin; Nov-29-2018 at 12:04am.
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thecelloronin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    Is there a way to see if anyone in fact downloaded the music, other than ask 439 (and counting) people to reply?
    I downloaded the music...at least one for your count.

Quote Originally Posted by thecelloronin View Post
    Doc James,

Thank you for following through on this. I've downloaded everything, and have sightread through a fair bit of it. One quick question: what do slurs imply? Do they speak purely to phrasing, or is there a specific technique, like a tremolo?
    As for this particular music, I'd like to know the answer myself.

15. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

If you mean the slurs in Brian Kinney's piece, I believe he wanted them hammered-on.
    And I have three or four additional pieces from the people already presented, plus the extensive work in the Goichberg and Bickford books. But I want to allow them to decide on further "free access" as in some cases I know they are planning to publish.
    I have been told the method books are a bit pedantic and studious, stressing technique rather than musicality, but I have not gone into them far enough to have such an opinion. The music by Watters, Patterson, Kinney, and Boden are compositions,meant to be enjoyed as just plain good tunes.

I certainly have downloaded and am currently working through material.... anything mandocello is appreciated, for sure.
    John D

18. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

It occurred to me: A better answer (about slurs and such) would be to contact whichever composer you are asking about. My plan was to get a dialog, network, maybe even community going, rather than being any authority. I am still a retired choral conductor finding my way in mando world, getting to know people, and totally loving my "new" instrument and the would of music it has opened. I think the composers would be glad to hear from you, and I believe I posted their emails at some point in this thread. I know I posted my own {jfimhoff@msn.com} if anybody wants contact questions outside the Cafe; but chatter here is a better way to generate more interest--I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    It occurred to me: A better answer (about slurs and such) would be to contact whichever composer you are asking about. My plan was to get a dialog, network, maybe even community going, rather than being any authority. I am still a retired choral conductor finding my way in mando world, getting to know people, and totally loving my "new" instrument and the would of music it has opened. I think the composers would be glad to hear from you, and I believe I posted their emails at some point in this thread. I know I posted my own {jfimhoff@msn.com} if anybody wants contact questions outside the Cafe; but chatter here is a better way to generate more interest--I hope.
    Hey Doc,

That link in bold seems to be missing. Mind giving it to us again?

Good idea on contacting the composers directly.
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

Sorry, not a link: I was emphasizing "here" meaning here in the Mandolin Cafe CBOM Thread. I don't even know how to do a link. And when I look at other sites (mostly on facebook) the topics are not as focused as here--in the CBOM thread. I might check with CMSA people to see if they want a Mandocello link on their page, but that's just a thought right now.

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Blog Entries

The forum software is not set to record the number downloads of PDFs and display them on the screen near the upload. This function as far as we're aware is only in place for MP3s.

Thanks for all you do, Cafe Admin's! For what it's worth, I sang (plucked?) your praises at my CMSA presentation. You seem to attract serious discussions and interesting dialogs about the instrument and the music. I m always disappointed when I check into the mando-related facebook pages, mostly show and tell "look at me and my mandolin" stuff. Your site is well organized and peopled by intelligent thoughtful players. And i LOVE Mando smiley! Wish I could capture and post in all my messages.

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thecelloronin View Post
    One quick question: what do slurs imply? Do they speak purely to phrasing, or is there a specific technique, like a tremolo?
    I think it's safe to say there's no standardization about how slurs are used in mandocello music. In my mandocello music, slurs most often indicate places to leave some voices sustaining while others are played. For example, in "Perpetual Blue," this slur indicates that the high notes should be sustained and connected while the low notes are sounded, and the low notes are also sustained underneath the melody notes that follow:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 7.58.40 AM.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	173123

Also, can you give me an idea of how much more solo m'cello music was created by these composers? I'd probably buy every page of it.
    Stay tuned.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Thanks August; I am wide open for suggestions on a mandocello workshop at next year's CMSA. Clearly there is a great interest and I am not the authority by any means. I will need guidance (maybe even leadership, participation?) from people like you.

28. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

I see we just passed 900 views on the Solo Mandocello music post. If just a fraction of those people actually downloaded and played the music, then we have the beginning of a Bass New World. If any of the contributors hear from interested players (asking for more music, questions on fingerings, whatever) I hope you'll let me know. And if anyone of you is considering the 2019 CMSA Convention (Normal IL) I would like to speak with you about a follow-up session.

30. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Trolley Polka.pdf 
Views:	105 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	173378
    Here's the Trolley Polka from Bickford p.44

It seems to me that the first two notes should be pickup notes, some editing is needed to make it fit.

Maybe, but when you look through the rest of the line (and the whole piece) shifting the barline to make them pickups would throw the tune out of whack. And the pattern repeats consistently, so it wouldn't be just the first couple measures affected. Where did you find this version? I don't see an editor and I know it's not directly from the Bickford book. By the way, I mis-credited one of the solo pieces, I think you were the source for a Bickford duet. Martin Jonas corrected me, so my apologies and thanks--and let me know if you got more music.

Like I wrote earlier, this is directly from Bickford bk, transposed universal to bass clef

When I play it through the computer it sounds not quite right to me.

You may have to change a 1/8 note to a 1/4 note to make it work out.

I just posted a new piece for big mandolins at my So Many Tunes blog titled Winter Suite, February 2019. I was at least partly inspired by "Doc James" and his continuing advocacy for new Mandocello music.

It's a simple collection of six short tunes and I present them in versions for both Mandocello and Octave Mandolin. I even have included tab options. I also did a rudimentary recording on an Eastman OM which you can hear at either the blog site or in a more easy to stream version at Bandcamp.

I'll probably also start a new thread in order to snag the attention of OM players who don't always read Mandocello topics.

Many thanks to Jim for encouraging us to think more about music for Mandocello. Give these pieces a try and see what you think.

John G.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post: