Thread: Northfield Big Mon vs Artist Series

Default Northfield Big Mon vs Artist Series

I currently play a Hester. Great traditional mandolin. Had thought about selling it as it's really more mandolin than I need, considering my ability. But I might just keep it and add another mando to the stable. I was thinking about getting another mando, and recently tried a Big Mon at a local music store. Really nice, almost sounded like a mandola on the bottom end. Really liked the Engelmann sound. I've been looking into the Artist series mandos and it appears that most of the posts and reviews have been with regard to the 5 braced, Engelmann mandos. Does anyone own the two brace mando? How do they compare with the 5 brace mandos as far as playability, sound, etc? I watched the Mike Marshall video. How doe the 5 brace Artist compare to the Big Mon? Both have the Engelmann sound, so why spend $1500.00 more for an Artist? Thanks.

Default Re: Northfield Big Mon vs Artist Series

Isn't the BigMon is tad deeper. (depth of mando)?

The extra $1500 for the Artists will get you nicer woods, a varnish finish (on the earlier ones anyway) and a more high-end look and feel. I've played both the 5 bar and the 2 bar models and they are superb. I have also played Engleman and Red spruce Big Mons and they are superb as well... done in a "hybrid" finish these days.

I hate to say it, but it all comes down to finding THE one that's right for you... and we all know that's easier said than done...

I have an Northfield Artist 5-bar, and have played several Big Mons.
    At a jam recently, a Big Mon owner and I switched instruments for a few tunes, so I got to see the difference in a jam setting.
    I would say that both are great mandolins, but they are very different.

The Big Mon is great for that traditional Monroe Bluegrass mandolin thing.
    It has a nice clunk to the sound and a bit of jangle, and has that tone you look for when you play straight bluegrass.
    The 5-Bar Artist has a more thick modern sound, BUT works great in a bluegrass setting too.
    The chop on the Artist model is huge and fat.
    The chop on the Big Mon was nice too, but not quite as loud and woofy.

I would say my 5-Bar was a bit louder than the Big Mon in general, and has a thicker tone, with more sustain.
    Both have good bass, but the 5-Bar bass is more full and fat, with a wider harmonic range.

The Big Mon neck seemed a little thicker and had a glossy finish.
    The Artist model has a violin style finish on the neck, which I love.
    It just feels like natural smooth wood.
    It is so comfortable and easy to play.

Having played both, I would definitely stay with my Artist model, but I enjoyed the Big Mon too.
    I plan to get a Big Mon as well at some point, as there is something awesome about that straight up bluegrass tone.
    I feel the tone of the Artist model is a bit more versatile for other types of music though.
    Louder, thicker, more sustain, and more harmonics.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    If you tend to stick in straight Bluegrass, maybe the Big Mon is the right choice.
    If you play bluegrass but also tinker with Classical, Jazz, Choro, etc., then maybe the Artist model is the way to go.
    Northfield is just kicking butt with these mandolins.
    They are truly fine acoustic machines.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post: