Thread: Another Dusty Strings visit!

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Another Dusty Strings visit!

I thought I'd share a report (thoughts/impressions) on my last stop visit to Dusty Strings in Seattle, which is my favorite music store for a number or reasons.

I had a Friday off and decided to drive up there to sample a couple mandolins. I know my Christmas bonus is right around the corner and its burning a MAS sized hold in my pocket!

I was once again very impressed by the stores mando inventory. I was able to play a couple Eastmans, including an Oval I've been interested in (it sounded thin), a few Webers (the Oval Bitterroot was excellent... more thick), a Collings or two, a couple 20s Gibsons, which were beautiful and lots of fun, an Andersen (local guitar builder), a Larrivee (it was probably my favorite one there that day) and a Sawchyn (!!!! That thing was sweet.... and loud!!!).... plus more (including a Northfield and a couple Kentuckys).

All the instruments there were ridiculous sweet!!! But, surprisingly enough the best Mandolin I played that day was the Weber I own at home... It's odd, but I think I'm content... for now.

So, what do I do with that Christmas bonus??? I'm thinking about getting a pickup installed in the Weber and putting some $ away for next time.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Another Dusty Strings visit!

Get that pickup and a Tonedexter
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Ooh, an Andersen? Tempting to get one to go with my mandocello.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Dusty Strings is such a great shop!
    I'm a fan of the Sawchyn Beavertail mandolins. Best flattops made, in my opinion.

Blog Entries

I really love that store. I have purchased a few great instruments there and for a decent price.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I was in in there on November 3rd. I played almost all of the mandolins and a couple things stood out. The NF Big Mon, which they bordered on hard selling, was really just ok. The stand-outs to me were a Weber 2pt and a Collings MT. Not sure how much inventory has changed in just a couple weeks, but I believe I watched an older gentleman playing the same Eastman oval you referenced. Even with a really good picker it sounded tinny. The most important thing I left with, much like you, was continued contentedness with my current Morris.

Excellent trip report! That Larrivee has a nice singing tone but... unfortunate scroll. Also good selection of Wegens and caseine picks (I think they're from happyturtlepick.de)

Here's the lineup tho they don't always put all instruments up: https://store.dustystrings.com/c-7-mandolin-family.aspx

(Fiddlers can jumnp on the 44 bus to David Stone or Lasley Violins to make a day of it, all really good shops)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    Also good selection of Wegens and caseine picks (I think they're from happyturtlepick.de)
    Ha! I actually bought a Wegen TF140 during the visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    I was in in there on November 3rd. I played almost all of the mandolins and a couple things stood out. The NF Big Mon, which they bordered on hard selling, was really just ok. The stand-outs to me were a Weber 2pt and a Collings MT. Not sure how much inventory has changed in just a couple weeks, but I believe I watched an older gentleman playing the same Eastman oval you referenced. Even with a really good picker it sounded tinny.
    I played the 2pt as well. It sounded the most like mine. I should have checked the serial number.

Concerning the Eastman... I agree completely! It was tinny. This time I played it before trying the more expensive models too.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Dusty Strings is such a great shop!
    I'm a fan of the Sawchyn Beavertail mandolins. Best flattops made, in my opinion.
    It was definitely the loudest! I liked it too. They had a Red Valley EM like mine and it blew it out of the water as far as volume goes. The tone is bright and the shape (pancake) is neat.

I've found in a very small, very unscientific survey, that most imports do tend to sound better after they have been played for a while, but the wise Frank Ford once told me never to buy based on what you think it will someday sound like.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

[QUOTE=Zach Wilson;1687113]I played the 2pt as well. It sounded the most like mine. I should have checked the serial number.

I would say you are in pretty good shape then. I particularly enjoyed that one. I didn't check the serial number, but I did inquire about when it was made because it was signed by Bruce. They said it was new in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    I would say you are in pretty good shape then. I particularly enjoyed that one. I didn't check the serial number, but I did inquire about when it was made because it was signed by Bruce. They said it was new in 2016.
    It's been a fantastic instrument in every way! I'm still very grateful to Dennis at TMS for it!

Mines a 15, signed by Bruce... April I think (cant remember off the top of my head).