Thread: dead srings and the right pick

Default dead srings and the right pick

It's not much fun being picky about picks, so i try new ones every now and then, even tho there are many, many good quality ones that didn't make the cut. Then i saw a classified ad to sell the thin and next thicker Papa's picks. Having tried casein picks before, the expectations weren't very high.

Not anticipating a surprise on 4 month old strings (Martin Monel) with A strings that have lost their tensile strength and have held tune better, i laid the thin Papa into the Stanley A5. i'm amazed that this pick makes the strings sound pretty much new again and far better than any other pick (including multiple BC, RB, Fast Turtle, Wegan, etc) when the strings were in their prime. The E strings are especially richer without volume loss.

Great balance of tone, with warmth and clarity, no click, and easy tremolo. It doesn't even matter that both picks are pretty warped. They both give me the sound that i've been looking for and make it really hard to put the man'lin back in the case. Heck, there's even a new anticipation to the next time i get it back out. i had no idea that after using lots of good picks that this could happen.

Have any of you pickers had this experience?

Now there's a new problem: Where can i buy some more? My internet searches have failed miserably and it seems the maker would have a website.
    Last edited by dan in va; Nov-18-2018 at 5:12pm.

Default Re: dead srings and the right pick

Well it certainly seems logical that a pick you might discard as too bright would sound better as strings age. Can't help you with procurement.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Daves Woodstock music has them,and there's a bunch on ebay,,,

Blog Entries

"There are no available products under this category."

I think Dave's Woodstock has neglected to update their website. Be careful on the ebay route -- most of them seem to be something other than the desired casein blend, and the auction titles don't always match the item description (for example, .90mm in the title vs 1.7mm in the description).

Try a wanted ad in the classifieds here!

Buy picks and save on strings!

Br1ck - actually the pick i was using is brighter. The Papa's seems to have a better tonal range with less overall harshness on the E string.

E-mailed Dave's Woodstock Music but no reply. Will give them a call pretty soon.

Drew - i see what you're saying about Ebay. The info is all over the place. Nothing there yet. Will place an ad.

Jeff - interesting idea.

The lightest Fast Turtle pick is about the closest thing i've found to this Papa's, but needs reshaping.