Thread: Bubbling & Flaking Finish

Default Bubbling & Flaking Finish

I have a 1995 Gibson F-5G. I bought it used and I've had it for about 10 years. I play it constantly so it's got a lot of wear, but in the last couple of years the finish has begun to bubble and even flake-off in some places.

I used to hang the Mandolin on my living room wall but I was worried that there was wood shrinkage due to low humidity (even though I ran a humidifier in the room) so now I keep it in a case with a little water bottle, case humidifier.

Anyway - the problem is ongoing. It's on the body and the headstock mostly. Is there anything I can do about it? It doesn't affect the sound or playability at all but I don't want the whole thing to flake.

What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181118_145647.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	172748

Name:	20181118_145721.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	172749

Name:	20181118_145738.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	172750

Default Re: Bubbling & Flaking Finish

Looks like you have an adhesion problem between the sealer and the very thick(!) finish. Not much to do about it short of a complete refinish. Some judiciously applied superglue can help slow the progression of the problem, but it is not really a very good solution in the long run.
    I'm not sure what years things changed, but I think they were using a catalyzed-poly-something-type varnish in those days (maybe still Fullerplast) at Flatiron/Gibson... or maybe that was after they moved from the Flatiron shop. I have no idea about the warranty situation, but it seems a long shot to try to get Gibson to fix it even if you are the original owner. Bottom line, looks like the choices are: A- live with it, or B- pay to have it refinished.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Could that be a newer overspray over original finish? The scroll looks fully finished under the peeling layer, not just sealer but it's hard to judge just from the pics.
    Adrian

John Hamlett nailed it as usual. The top finish hasn't 'keyed' onto the underlaying finish,which,as Adrian points out,looks pretty much like the original 'full' finish. The layer that's peeling looks very thick as John pointed out. 'Why' it was given such a thick finish is anybody's guess, & is it original to the mandolin's build ?. I've only ever seen that sort of flaking on one instrument before,a friend's 1960's Gibson J45 guitar. To put that right required a complete stripping & re-finishing,but the result was the finest sounding acoustic guitar i've heard to this day !!.

Re.the mandolin - to put it right,i can't see any other way to do it properly,than to remove that top layer of 'whatever' - but it'll cost. So maybe live with it ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It's just a sign of so much tone in that mando, it's oozing out from under the lacquer. Just stop creating so much good tone.

7. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

I think Ivan nailed it: looks like overspray on top of the original finish. It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't just pull the whole lot off in one sheet, though what you'd be left with beneath is anybodies guess, whatever issue caused the respray to be applied I suppose.

I guess the issue you have at this stage is that it's all getting pretty unsightly, and you're just going to keep loosing more and more of this stuff. As John says thin super-glue would stabilise things but also risks making a right mess, and making an eventual re-finish much harder.

If can spring the $$'s for a refinish that's probably the way to go, otherwise try to live with it as best you can I guess.

9. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

I'm thinking wear a large lobster bib while watching tv and slowly chip away at it with your fingernails.....

Might take a couple months, but I don't see that it could end up looking any worse, IMHO....

Teacher, repair person

We also see this problem on Martin guitars from the same period.

My 1996 Gibson F-5G signed by Mr. Weber suffered from the same problem. It seemed to be mostly confined to the back of the neck and around the perimeter of the back of the body and around the head stock. It wasn't coming off in big globs like yours. It was more cracking and chipping out in smaller bits. Still, that mandolin sounded heavenly to my ears. I would learn to live with it and not spend the $$$$ to get it refinned.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I think that i'd maybe pick off the finish that's really loose & unsightly as it occurs - unless it looks as though the finish underneath it might be damaged in some way ie.it might be 'more stuck' in some areas than others. It's a pity that it couldn't be subject to some type of 'bonding test' to try to find out,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.