Thread: Amateur repair of loose brace?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Amateur repair of loose brace?

I have an octave mandolin which I'm hoping to sell. When I took it to a very reputable dealer (House Of Musical Traditions), their tech guy said it has a buzz caused by a loose brace. I think this is cross braced.My hearing isn't great so I hadn't noticed it but I was able to hear it when he showed it to me. He was also able to eliminate the buzz temporarily by pressing on the appropriate part of the mandolin's top.
    As a result,they couldn't offer me anywhere near what I was hoping to get,citing (very understandably) that they's have to send it to a luthier to have the brace repaired etc.plus add in a fair profit.
    Is this something a fairly handy amateur can tackle? What's involved?
    If I take it to a luthier,what is this likely to cost? Thanks.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: Amateur repair of loose brace?

Would be handy to know model, Paul, and whether round hole or F-hole, carved or flat top. As a whistle maker you are familiar with working with fine wood and to very fine tolerances, though as someone who has never made a whistle I do not know what skills whistle-making and luthiery might share.

Mandolin family instruments are difficult to work on because of limited access to the interiors because of their sizes. I have repaired one or two brace problems over the years, and never really look forward to doing them, including on one of my own builds (which was easier in some ways as I knew the bracing pattern on it and it was an octave). Cleaning the area where the glue has failed is important, even if hide glue was used in the original building, then getting the glue into the space between body and brace and subsequently clamping it is the other task requiring some ingenuity; You will need to have a good clamping system, either actual clamps if the repair area is near enough the soundhole (assuming a round hole) or making internal props in the same way as a violin soundpost is fitted. This method needs accurate cutting to length of the pieces of wood you are going to use to jam the brace tightly while the glue dries - think of the Go-bar system many luthiers use for holding the bracing while it is being glued, but obviously much shorter braces being used inside the instrument.

Sometimes it is easiest to remove the back and do your brace repair with the back off, the method I have employed more than once. This means that binding will have to be replaced if the body is bound (unless you are very good at removing binding intact).

I suppose I am saying it is not an easy task if it is something you have not tried before!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

This is one you can do yourself. A luthier likely has clamps that will reach in, but you can also use a wedge, like gobars. These would be cut to the correct length and then wedged between the back and brace. Sit something heavy on the top, and there you go. You can use "hose grip" pliers or something similar to place them if you can't get your hand in.

You do have to consider the glue that was used and if it needs to be cleaned off first.

A luthier will normally charge a lot. But a lot of this goes to the Customer service side which often takes longer than the repair.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

More info on the instrument. It's a Trinity College octave mandolin,round hole. Maybe big enough to get my hand in. It's also a flat top which I gather makes this a bit easier.
    I don't know about the glue, but would an Asian mass produced instrument use hide glue? I don't have that and don't want to get that involved. I'm not also capable enough to take the back off.
    I'd like to get a look inside-- maybe a dental mirror, or a cell phone photo using macro mode. I'll have to play with this a bit.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

It may be difficult to get in there on the TC... I have a little bit of an issue installing pickups sometimes.

It shouldn't be hide Glue. Although it would be best to clean it well, you may be fine just applying some TiteBond and clamping.

If I had no appropriate tools. I would grab a wooden dowel. Cut a few piece to length. Notch one end to fit the brace. Use a spatula, paper, or whatever to get glue under, clean excess glue as much as possible, wedge in my dowels and sit a couple of books on it. Anything more advanced is going to get tricky without being able to reach in.

To see what you are doing, throw a flashlight in, and look through the endpin hole.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Teacher, repair person

I do it with the following tools:

1. A long bladed palette knife from an artist's supply shop to spread the glue.
    2. With a little luck, you can find a c-clamp with a deep enough throat for the job at a good hardware store.
    3. A flat caul cushioned with felt or cork, taped to the outside of the top over the brace.
    4. A caul with a notch cut into it, superglued to the bottom jaw of the clamp to fit over the brace inside the mandolin. A piece of blue masking tape over the caul will prevent it from sticking to brace if any glue drips on it.
    5. A small extendable mirror to see what I'm doing.

Set everything up and clamp it dry to make sure everything fits together correctly. When you're ready to go, Titebond original would probably be the best glue for a modern instrument. Clamp snugly, but not so tightly that it will damage the top or the brace.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, it is better to take it to a repairman who is experienced with this sort of work. It should not be an expensive job. I charge $35 to $75 for this sort of repair, depending on the length of the loose spot and how hard it is to get to it.

I think the first step would be to get a good look at it. Mirrors, lights in the end pin hole etc. can all help. Is the brace just loose or is it cracked? How are the other braces? The time you spend investigating the condition will be more than saved when you actually do the repair.