Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acoustic preamp for mandolin

Default Re: Acoustic preamp for mandolin

C Dyns S (preceeding Resocoil in my Mix A5.. TRS 1/4" cable to a Roland Mobile AC is sufficient
    & I can put it in a bag & ride my Bicycle there , Back pack carry the Mandolin case..

years ago, TGG Sunday,

I saw an Evan Marshall performance. he used a Roland Mobile AC laid flat on the floor as his Monitor .

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Summit Audio TD 100 has variable impedance loading, high gain tube preamp. Pricy but for a piezo I found not much else I like as well. I also have a Baggs Para DI. I hear the Redeye is a good impedance matching preamp. I will say this that the piezo input channel on my LoudBox 100 sounds almost as good as any I preamp have tried, minus the Summit Audio. You need no preamp with that channel (1) it is properly matched at 1 Mhm . Lots of good solutions out there that are expensive(Grace Designs), a loubox mini might be right for a preampless solution, you get an amp ofr the price of a better preamp.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

Blog Entries

I use an Orchid Electronics preamp. It's simple, durable, and very effective. It has a mic stand attachment, 3 band EQ, a mute button, a tuner out, and runs on phantom power from the desk. Brilliant bit of kit as they say in the UK.

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/acoustic.htm

Show of Hands and Brooks Williams use them. Show of Hands do a lot of instrument changes (guitar, mandocello, mandolin, fiddle, mandola, etc). They slap the mute button, yank out the cable, put one instrument down, pick up another, plug back in, and slap the mute button again. Quickest instrument changes I have ever seen without a roadie.

best,
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hird View Post
    All this Fireeye info. Whatever happened to the old tried and true LR Baggs DI box? Am I doing something wrong?
    Nothing wrong with the PARA DI. It is loaded with features that can help your sound IF you know how to use them. But the basic sound of the unit has been superceeded by newer designs. Look at it this way, if you do not compromise on components and use the very best pots, resisters, caps and transformers, you end up with a unit costing $800, or a studio unit like an Apogee channel strip. So knowing the market is $200 pres, cost cutting measures are taken.

So if a unit costs $200 and has 25 parts, and another has ten parts and costs $200, the later is going to lack features, but if a good design, it should sound better. This describes the RedEye. I used one for years. Then the same guy who turned me on to the RedEye had me compare it to a Sunnaudio Stage1 DI. I haven't used the RedEye since. Both are very stripped down designs using the best components.

So if you can get past yourself thinking you need notch filters, multiple bands of EQ, and all sorts of stuff, the simple but high quality units can work fine. The key is starting with a pickup that has a nice sound to begin with. I have Dazzo pickups in six instruments, because you tailor one of the six sets to fit your instrument.

Then there is the whole digital approach. You can buy a unit with multi effects, multiple bands of EQ, and a kitchen sink. Cheap. But if you have ever heard studio quality AD/DA converters, you know you won't get them in consumer grade $200 pre amps. They can be ok. Just need to know what you are settling for.

So I'm firmly in the simple quality camp. Start with a great instrument and go down the signal chain with really god simple designs. It works.

Addendum: All bets are off if you are playing in a loud band with a drummer. I'd just buy an electric mandolin for that.
    Last edited by Br1ck; Dec-21-2018 at 4:46pm.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Addendum: All bets are off if you are playing in a loud band with a drummer. I'd just buy an electric mandolin for that.
    It certainly is quite a challenge playing mandolin for a band with drums, e-bass, acoustic and electric banjo, multiple ukuleles and accordion to boot. Last gig was billed as an unplugged event yet only I showed up without an amp!

Tired various set-ups over the past two years and have finally settled on using a small condenser mic, then providing for my own phantom/pre-amp at the base of the mic stand. Feedback is rarely an issue, and the tone is realistic with controls right at my feet if needed (mute between sets, etc.)

But at the end of the day, the #1 reason for choosing a mic over pick-ups comes from the ability to work dynamics more effectively, staying off the mic for rhythm, and moving in closer for leads and fills. Lately, the mic also gets use from one of the uke players, who has begun stepping out for the occasional solo.

Before I too came around to the FireEye by Redeye, I tried a few other preamps. I recommend something that can run off a 9 volt battery or phantom, unless you're already using a pedalboard with power. You won't always have an outlet close enough for a wall wart. For ease of use, sound, simplicity, features and price its hard to beat the K&K Pure preamp.