Thread: Is Collings discontinuing their vintage style mandolin cases?

Default Is Collings discontinuing their vintage style mandolin cases?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	584FE6DD-5770-4DB9-8E0F-63344AFB69A0.png 
Views:	396 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	172718

I just read this ad. Anyone have information about this?

Default Re: Is Collings discontinuing their vintage style mandolin cases?

I asked the guys at TME and they thought the varnished mandolins would still be coming with those. Bill worked so hard on those, and it would be a shame to just stop production completely on them. As for the guitars, the new cases will only be available on their traditional models.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

I know the MT I just purchased came in a TKL case with a Collings label on the outside.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

There were never any plans to include the vintage-style cases with MTs or MFs. They came with MT2/MF5 models and the varnished versions.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

6. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Bill worked so hard on those, and it would be a shame to just stop production completely on them.
    Yes, since the set up and tooling is already done.

I think it is a matter of manpower right now. They cannot keep up the case production in line with the instrument production.

9. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Anybody know, if such a case would fit a (short neck) F4?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Anybody know, if such a case would fit a (short neck) F4?
    My understanding is no. That’s why they are not shipped with the Collings ovals.

The new cases are small with little room for goodies. I did not like the one I saw. Very well made though.

I was notified about this after ordering an MT2

RobBob, to each his own. It fits spare strings, a strap a few picks & a tuner. Love mine & my shoulder prefers it to the Calton. We also had pages of opinions when the cases came out a few years ago. Bill Collings did the mando & guitar community a huge service with these cases.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doc holiday For This Useful Post:

Sean from Avenue Guitars here--we posted the ad in question.

Our understanding is that Collings is no longer going to be including the handmade cases with their mandolins and will only be shipping them with Traditional Series guitars.

We don't have any varnish models on order so we didn't think to ask if they'll be exempt from the new policy. It's certainly possible, but I don't know for sure and would hate to speculate. If you have one of these mandolins on order and are unsure about the case, your best bet is to contact your dealer.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avenue Guitars For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    My understanding is no. That’s why they are not shipped with the Collings ovals.
    Thanks, Shaun. Interesting that the Collings MF5 O has a 13 fret neck as opposed to the 12 fret neck on older Gibson oval holes; still the cases don't fit.

Neither the A or the F case fits the oval hole mandolins. I think it has a lot to do with where the body meets the neck, and the geometry of the case itself.

Blog Entries

Let's take a step back and cease speculation Collings has ended case production. That was never stated anywhere, only implied in the title of this thread and then picked up by others. I've already received a couple of emails asking about it. A quick Google search will tell you the only place on the internet this is being discussed is the Mandolin Cafe. I've asked Collings for a clarification and until then I'd suggest we discontinue the speculation. Really, just stop. I'm not real amused with this at the moment. We should be able to do better.

From above - " A quick Google search will tell you the only place on the internet this is being discussed is the Mandolin Cafe."
    Maybe were the only folks that actually care enough to ask the question ?. I do agree re.'speculation' though.

The intro. of the new Collings case was a hot topic on here,& it's only a short while since they were introduced. That they even 'might' no longer be available after such a short period of production is maybe a tad unusual,hence the speculation - but,lets wait for the clarification,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Here's the official response from Collings:

Below is the notification that we sent to our dealers last week:

As you may know, we initially developed our original vintage-styled cases to accompany our Traditional Series models. Two and a half years later, the T-series has proven to be an enduring success and has also expanded to include our popular Julian Lage Signature OM1 models. Due to increasing demand for these instruments, we’ve made the decision to focus on our original intention and will be providing our handmade cases for T-Series and JL models exclusively.

We, of course, will honor existing custom orders that call for Collings cases. We also hope to be able to offer Collings cases as a upgrade option for other models in the future as our production capacity allows.

I asked for further clarification and received this:

Nothing is being discontinued, we just won’t be including them as the “standard” cases for models other than our T and JL models and will prioritize our production around these models. Cases for other models will become available as production capacity allows.

At this point I'm closing this because it's not the Cafe's job to answer further questions some of you may have, and at least a few from experience think it's our job to ferret out your questions for you. Collings has provided their answer. There is nothing more to add. Not trying to be difficult but there are a hell of a lot of responsibilities of running a large site like this that are more critical--being the conduit for everyone's questions is not one of those duties.

23. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post: