Thread: Adam Steffey steps away from the business

Default Adam Steffey steps away from the business

All,

I just read via Bluegrass Today that Adam Steffey has not only decided to leave his latest group the Highland Travelers, but has also decided to step down from his faculty ETSU position.

Hoping all is well with Adam and wishing him the best in whatever he chooses to do now.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/no-more-highland-travelers/
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Adam Steffey steps away from the business

Oh man, I certainly hope he and his family are well. Aside from being a great player, he is a kind and thoughtful man willing to share his expertise freely. I showed him my Ratliff at a workshop one time and he just lit up and started to talk about Audey. Just as friendly a fellow as you'd ever want to meet.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Looks like he’s changing professions, according to the article.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Yeah, I saw it on Bluegrass Today also. Bummer for me. Hard to believe. Especially changing careers all together (BTW, I did the same thing). What a certified monster talent he is. My favorite mandolin player. I hope Adam is happy with his decision but I'm going to miss the heck out of him. I wish I could just tell him how much I've enjoyed his playing and how much of an influence he's been on my playing.....and not just mandolin, but on my guitar playing too! What a gigantic talent he is. Thank you for everything you've done in the music business, Adam. I wish you nothing but the very best in your life. God bless and be with you and your family.

Tom
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

6. The following members say thank you to drbluegrass for this post:

If thats what he needs to do to seek happiness, well then thats that. But im not happy about it. The guy is still in his prime. His last two solo albums have been near the top of the heap for me. Its just way too early to be losing that talent.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Blog Entries

Maybe he finally did get enough mandolins ...

New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Am I remembering correctly that he and his wife have young children of their own? (Wikipedia confirmed twin boys born 2011). Maybe just done with all the touring and want to be close to home with the family. Whatever the reason is, I wish him all the best and I'm really kicking myself for not seeing him when he was in town a few years ago.

A friend of mine has stopped touring after 20+ years with a very successful band, and she is thinking of dropping her teaching spot at the conservatory where she has been teaching for quite a while. The teaching gig involves a lot of politics, and that can be very stressful. At a certain point traveling gets old (been there, done that).
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

My wife and I saw the Highland Travellers a week ago tonight in Evanston. It was a great show and Adam Steffey said several times he hoped to be back sometime. I hope the best for him and the guys in the band.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highland Travelers in Evanstom 181110 IMG_5752.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	172721
    Steve

Folk don't make life changing decisions such as that without a real purpose. Whatever it is,i wish him & his family the very best of luck in all that they do. Adam will still continue to 'play' that's for sure,but '' if,when & where '' will be up to him,rather than the dictates of playing with a band. All we can do is to be thankful that he's left us a legacy of totally awesome recordings !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Folk don't make life changing decisions such as that without a real purpose. Whatever it is,i wish him & his family the very best of luck in all that they do. Adam will still continue to 'play' that's for sure,but '' if,when & where '' will be up to him,rather than the dictates of playing with a band. All we can do is to be thankful that he's left us a legacy of totally awesome recordings !,
    Ivan
    Best of luck to Adam! I'm glad I got to see him in his new (then) band -- the band was only a few months old and already sounded just wonderful and so tight. I'm sure we'll still be seeing and hearing him play often enough -- just not within the context of a band leader? With his wife being an accomplished banjoist they have a string band that they can work on in-house!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

The life of a traveling musician is like being a glorified traveling salesman. Set up your wares, put on the show, pack up your wares travel to the next town where you set up your wares, put on the show, pack up your wares travel to the next town, and repeat. You miss your family and the rewards are often mixed. Those with stable lifestyles don't often realize the price this lifestyle extracts from you.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Buckingham For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

His tone during his 'Alison Krauss years' was what made me pick up the mandolin. Thanks for that!
    Wishing the best to Adam.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

17. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Can only echo what others have said - really sorry to see him leave the business, and I wish him all the best in his new profession.

19. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

I'm stunned. New Primitive knocked me backwards, forwards & sideways, as did the Close Kin compilation. Good for him he saw he wasn't getting what he wanted & decided to do something about it, if that was indeed his reason. Best of everything to you & your family, Mr. Steffey.

From bbcee - " New Primitive knocked me backwards, forwards & sideways..." I'll second that - totally superb in every way.
    If we ever get another CD from Adam,one with just his wife on frailing banjo playing some good Old Timey songs & insts. would be awesome,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It is a shame that he can be at the top of his game, yet the economy of the Bluegrass genre makes it difficult to earn a living that will sustain a family.
    "All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out." - Mark Twain

Eastman MD615SB
    Martin D35
    Gibson SG

Whatever Adam's reasons are for choosing another profession, I wish him only the very best. I met him once in person and he is so outgoing and humble that you feel like you are talking to a friend.

I certainly echo everyone’s sentiments and experiences! I just hope the departure is what he wants to do, not what he has to do.

I met Adam a couple of times at the late great Mandolin Symposium. The first time, he gave a great workshop on playing rhythm and fills behind vocalists, explaining his approach to accompanying Alison Krauss. He also played some stunning duets with Mike Marshall at an evening concert. The second time, I joined his ensemble for a run through “Squirrel Hunters,” which he had just recorded for his New Primitive album. He had just gotten his Northfield and was really excited about it. When I asked him a few questions about it, he handed it to me and insisted that I try it out. It’s the only time I’ve ever played mandolin with tremolo and vibrato, intending neither.

Wishing you all the best, Adam!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcus CA For This Useful Post:

I wish the best for Adam as well. He is about the nicest guy I have ever met. I saw him with AKUS when I was just learning the mandolin and asked him about playing during their break between sets. They had to come and get him to go back on stage! He would have talked all night if he could. He's just a fantastic person all around!